Author Topic: More affordable luggage  (Read 2459 times)

More affordable luggage
« on: 22 October, 2018, 09:13:16 pm »
So I went for a spin with my 8yo, him on his bike and me on the speedmachine (in an effort to be more connected to his worries about cycling and stuff - use the bike I'm still learning to ride).  Whereas when I go for a ride with my DF I have a saddle pack for tools and a messenger bag if I need to carry lots (or just sling the lock over my handlebars), on the speedmachine I had to lad up my panniers - which are the XL size.
Obviously the cheapest option is just to lump it and stick with oversized pannier bags for storing tools, a quick bite and a lock - but I would ideally like to move to something less flappy.  Bespoke Recumbent luggage makes my eyes bleed at the cost, so I was considering a cheap rack top bag and/or some sort of frame/tri bag. 
Is this a false economy and should I just save up for something that works?  Or should I just strap a Nelson Longflap onto the top of my rear rack and pretend it works?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: More affordable luggage
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2018, 09:23:12 pm »
Racktop bags work well on recumbents with rear luggage racks, just like they work well on DFs with rear luggage racks.  I use a Carradice Prima on my Streetmachine for day rides, and an Arkel Tailrider on my Optima Baron.

I have an old Topeak tri-bag mounted 'backwards' on my Streetmachine, on the boom in front of the stem (under-seat steering).  That works well for quick access to nibbles and an inhaler.

Recumbent-specific luggage has its uses, but if the bike will happily take the normal stuff, then it's a lot of extra expense for the same capacity (and often disappointing waterproofness).  Especially if you have upwrongs that you could potentially use the luggage with, too.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2018, 03:45:11 pm »
On my speed machine I used Ortleib front panniers on the rack. Perfect.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2018, 03:47:02 pm »
On my speed machine I used Ortleib front panniers on the rack. Perfect.

That's my next step up from a rack bag, for when I need to carry a change of clothes or whatever.  Works well on almost anything.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2018, 05:12:32 pm »
Try Alpkit drybags strapped to the rack with their own straps.
I use a pair of 8 litre bags for light touring, perfect for the basics.

« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2018, 03:13:56 pm »
I squandered £8 on a cheapo rack top bag off t'bay.  I then realised that a Carradice saddlebag can be bungeed to the rack.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2018, 03:18:42 pm »
Try Alpkit drybags strapped to the rack with their own straps.
I use a pair of 8 litre bags for light touring, perfect for the basics.

I use one of those as overspill capacity (for shopping or containment of sodden clothing) when I've got the full touring kit.  Works well, and is decent enough as a lightweight bag to sling over your shoulder if you're going wandering on foot.

I've not used it on its own, simply because I've got more convenient small luggage already, and I'll never notice the difference in weight.

« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2018, 09:50:49 am »
I was considering the Ortlieb recumbent bags but the weigh 3 Kg. Might go with Radical Design medium banana bags, but there seems to be no option except to pay the full price.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2018, 12:19:31 pm »
I was considering the Ortlieb recumbent bags but the weigh 3 Kg. Might go with Radical Design medium banana bags, but there seems to be no option except to pay the full price.

Could you fettle some sort of duffel/ sports bag in the banana bag position?
Jennifer - Walker of hills