Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517551 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3500 on: 18 April, 2019, 07:51:02 am »
I'm recruiting helpers for Iddu's Are You Abbey Yet 600km on Saturday 11th May: Coggeshall control, 12:00 - 20:00. The field will be small, around 50 riders, and more spread out than last time as the start has been moved. Ideally 4 helpers in total, which was fine last time - two on the desk, one supervising DIY sandwiches and cake, drinks etc, with also one to keep an eye on bikes outside, as the entrance is on a public path from car parks to the shops. We can shop at the nearby Co-op and set things up from about 11:00. There shouldn't be a long 'tail' so hopefully not hanging around to the bitter end.

Also, I need a few helpers for The Flatlands breakfast on Saturday 18th May:
if you're riding would you consider getting here at 05:00 to help with the catering and car park? As there are a huge number of entries [much like last PBP year] I'll encourage riders to park in the town and the breakfast will be simply 'grab and go' - bananas, pastries and cereal bars, DIY drinks. I think toast and cereal will be too tricky. If it's fine weather, some can be set up outside as I did for The Horsepower. There will be a sleepover at St Mary's Room so another breakfast going on there, which will also need supervising.

I'm hoping to do a Helpers' Ride during the week leading up - there's the option of the weekend before if you're not helping on Iddu's event - Wilkyboy has indicated he will ride then.

Helpers for the arrivee at the Angel and Harp welcome too, 09:00 to 22:00 Sunday 19th! Especially the busy bulge from about 16:00 to the end.

Thank you,
Tomsk

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3501 on: 18 April, 2019, 01:12:34 pm »
11th May is free for me at the moment from what I can see... so you could put me down for that

18th clashes with the Great North Road 400km which I haven't entered yet but is in my "want to do" pile.. so a 'maybe' for that...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3502 on: 18 April, 2019, 01:46:33 pm »
Tom - I've had to scratch from actually riding Are Ewe Abbey, but should be available to help out for at least part of the day. Will let you know.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #3503 on: 30 April, 2019, 01:33:48 pm »
Tom

I'm afraid I'm working 11/12 May and am away 18/19 May
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #3504 on: 30 April, 2019, 02:02:23 pm »
I'm riding Are Ewe Abbey Yet, but still waiting for Nik's Nick to let me know who he has arranged to pace me now that he has pulled out ...

I'm out on 18th May, but should be fine to help from 4pm onwards on the 19th.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3505 on: 30 April, 2019, 02:34:27 pm »
I can be available for at least some, if not all, of Saturday 11th May: Coggeshall control, 12:00 - 20:00.  Can probably do hall key collection on the Friday lunchtime too if needed.
I should be okay for breakfast on Saturday 18th May and pm on the 19th.

I won't be riding either of the 600km events on the day or on the helpers' ride!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #3506 on: 05 May, 2019, 07:33:23 pm »
Quick one for the acme and any Essex folk. Going to Hatfield forest tomorrow on the bike. I'm taking the tourer so going to use the flitch way. I have some memory that it gets a little rough somewhere around Dunmow. Can anyone confirm what it's like. I done fancy it becoming COR

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3507 on: 05 May, 2019, 08:16:21 pm »
Flitch Way is bad coming into Dunmow [Byway 57 from railway line to outskirts of town on the Chelmsford Rd], west side is ok though. Concrete blocks have been placed recently to deter 4x4s, but may still be rough. it's only abou half a mile, but not good if wet and muddy.

« Reply #3508 on: 05 May, 2019, 08:21:23 pm »
Quick one for the acme and any Essex folk. Going to Hatfield forest tomorrow on the bike. I'm taking the tourer so going to use the flitch way. I have some memory that it gets a little rough somewhere around Dunmow. Can anyone confirm what it's like. I done fancy it becoming COR

To be safe, you might want to route on the road between Little Dunmow and Buttley's Lane. The worst bits I think are just to the east of Chelmsford Road. Otherwise I've always found the surface to be fine on wide road tyres.

The following map might help ... https://www.friends-of-the-flitch-way.org.uk/uploads/7/2/3/8/72389725/dunmow_routes.pdf

« Reply #3509 on: 05 May, 2019, 08:53:17 pm »
Thanks. I have done it before but used to be on my mountain bike. I'll come off at little Dunmow and go from there

« Reply #3510 on: 06 May, 2019, 11:06:27 am »
Due to my legs not really wanting to work today I ended up joining it at little Dunmow. It's doable apart from the tank trap concrete blocks at Dunmow

« Reply #3511 on: 06 May, 2019, 02:20:39 pm »
Who’s the ACME videographer these days? We need a promo video, inspired by the following that was put together for Oveja Negra, a bag maker in the US:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3512 on: 13 May, 2019, 09:15:32 am »
Asparagus & Strawberries 400km helpers' ride anyone?
The proposal is to start the morning of Saturday 25th May to go ride the usual route and make sure the roads are still there and that the Reedham Ferry cocktail bar will be open for the crossing on the 1st June.
As it's a bank holiday weekend you'll have an extra day to recover before having to return to Real Life.

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #3513 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:55:16 am »
As I'm away for the actual event,  that sounds like a good idea.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3514 on: 13 May, 2019, 11:10:32 am »
Also away for the event itself, so this has its attractions. Will see if I'm allowed out to play.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3515 on: 13 May, 2019, 12:33:27 pm »
I'm up for the helpers ride on 25th/26th May

Trains between Manningtree and Norwich or Woodbridge are bus replacements for the whole of the Bank Holiday weekend (25th to 27th May) due to track works by Network Rail, so maybe some variations to the timetable for routes into Manningtree from Witham etc. Shouldn't be any problem getting bikes on trains that are running though.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #3516 on: 13 May, 2019, 01:42:52 pm »
I should be OK for the 25/26th.
CCS - Setting the Standards

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3517 on: 13 May, 2019, 01:46:44 pm »
Looks like a nice group coming together with maybe Tomsk to declare and GS is in for the ride by PM  :thumbsup:

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3518 on: 13 May, 2019, 02:31:12 pm »
Looks like a nice group coming together with maybe Tomsk to declare and GS is in for the ride by PM  :thumbsup:

Tomsk was planning to do the route check for the Flatlands yesterday/today.

« Reply #3519 on: 13 May, 2019, 04:24:17 pm »
Is there going to be anyone left to tow me round the calendar event  :(  ?

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3520 on: 04 June, 2019, 02:58:51 pm »
We now need a controller for the 'Yorkshire via Essex' Boars Head, Dunmow checkpoint on Saturday 22nd - roughly 11:45 to 17:25. Collect control signs, banner & ACME stamp from my house and sit outside in the sun for a couple of hours or so [assuming no riders have a major set-back ... ] - funds for lunch and beer available!

Any takers? My aim is to ride Fenland Friends, so this very pleasant duty is available to a willing volunteer.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3521 on: 04 June, 2019, 05:24:17 pm »
We now need a controller for the 'Yorkshire via Essex' Boars Head, Dunmow checkpoint on Saturday 22nd - roughly 11:45 to 17:25. Collect control signs, banner & ACME stamp from my house and sit outside in the sun for a couple of hours or so [assuming no riders have a major set-back ... ] - funds for lunch and beer available!

Any takers? My aim is to ride Fenland Friends, so this very pleasant duty is available to a willing volunteer.

I'm still questioning the wisdom of riding >400km at the moment so happy to be standby if need be for this (it's a good excuse not to ride!)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3522 on: 06 June, 2019, 08:17:19 pm »
We have a Boars Head controller for Yorkshire Via Essex  :thumbsup:

The Flatlands has now been homologated, so I have paid my euros to Audax Club Parisien and entered the French Ride.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3523 on: 06 June, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »

The Flatlands has now been homologated, so I have paid my euros to Audax Club Parisien and entered the French Ride.  :thumbsup:

Mine hasn't  :(  It is no longer showing as Provisional but there is no ACP number as yet.

If only I knew someone in authority at AUK...Hang on, I do, Huggy where are you ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3524 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:09:56 pm »

Mine hasn't  :(  It is no longer showing as Provisional but there is no ACP number as yet.

If only I knew someone in authority at AUK...Hang on, I do, Huggy where are you ?
nuffin I can do about it, I don’t have an ACP number for the ride either