Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179346 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12525 on: 22 October, 2017, 10:38:09 pm »
My bath sealant run was aborted this afternoon as I realised I'd bought the stuff that takes a week to cure. Looks like I'm showering at work tomorrow then :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12526 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:11:58 am »
I did the shower-sealing bit a few weeks back - vile job.  I'm wishing now, too, that I'd used masking tape then run round it with a trimming knife before stripping it off. When the tiler first did it, about 8 years ago, he had the stuff on and neat as a pin in about 10 minutes. Not I. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12527 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:25:17 am »
I polished my headbadge ;)

No, really.  The headbadge from my Peregrine was tarnished, so I used a variety of cleaning materials to make it shiny again :)

And I assembled three polystyrene chuck gliders from a set of twelve I bought the lad.  He likes throwing things. :D
Getting there...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #12528 on: 23 October, 2017, 03:25:52 pm »
I replaced the battery in the remote locking key fob for the car. Surprising ly easy especially as it uses Cr2032 batteries of which I have a supply in my desk.

Not having the key fob working requires you to lock the drivers door, walk around to the passenger side, open the door, lean in and press the central locking button on the dash and close the door.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12529 on: 23 October, 2017, 05:01:08 pm »
When I replaced the battery in my wife's car key it no longer worked until I paired it again with the car - fiddly business.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12530 on: 23 October, 2017, 07:36:39 pm »
I did the shower-sealing bit a few weeks back - vile job.  I'm wishing now, too, that I'd used masking tape then run round it with a trimming knife before stripping it off. When the tiler first did it, about 8 years ago, he had the stuff on and neat as a pin in about 10 minutes. Not I. :(

When you've figured out how to do it do you want to come and do mine?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12531 on: 23 October, 2017, 09:41:15 pm »

I used masking tape but not the knife. It's not perfect as I overdid the sealant in a couple places so there's a thick edge, but it looks pretty neat :)

Now I hope it is watertight when it dries :-\

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12532 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:03:04 pm »
Getting to that time of year where I've clapped out the favoured bikes so I either switch to the less suitable or do a bit of maintenance

The Genesis 11sp rear derailleur is shagged, it doesn't want to change into the tiny sprocket so it is now soaking in paraffin

Hmm I could ride the Dawes Galaxy though with that new cheap Aldi light set

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12533 on: 23 October, 2017, 10:10:50 pm »
I gave the Iron Donkey ( the winter commuter hack ) a deep clean over the weekend.
After one day, it looks like it did before.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12534 on: 24 October, 2017, 09:02:20 am »
I used bicycle bits to fettle some books.

ribbons by Andrij, on Flickr
Very neat. And colourful!  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12535 on: 24 October, 2017, 12:21:36 pm »
I've noticed the green matches my Hewitt, so I'll be buying a few more of those ferrules.  #biketart
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12536 on: 26 October, 2017, 08:22:55 pm »
Fitted a tyre, tube and cassette to my shiny new rear wheel. And the whole assembly into the bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12537 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:47:07 pm »
Freed up and lubricated a seized V-brake on HK's Trykit. She is likely to be a shade quicker now.

Just need to fit a new handlebar and tape to my trike tomorrow evening, along with the brake levers from my Frezoni. The Frezoni will get a new set of silver Tektro levers that should look much better.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12538 on: 27 October, 2017, 07:23:12 am »
I trust there will be bar plugs too ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12539 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:25:09 am »
I just got round to straightening out the Dawes after my crash on Wednesday. All in all it's come out of that pretty well.
  • The twisted 2200 right hand shifter has gained a lot of extra scrapes to the lever, body and hood, but still seems to shift ok now I've put it back straight.
  • The rubber mudflap on the front guard is misshapen, and the lower stay is bent on the spare length but it all works ok.
  • The saddle now has a matching rip on the right side to the one it's had on the left for a few years.
  • There's a little less paint on the rear rack than before.
  • The Elips rear light reflector has detached, but the light still works so I just need to find some glue in the cupboard and stick it back together.
and of course the Super C rack bag seems to have brushed the crash off without any noticeable damage once I cleaned the mud/leaves off it.

I was half expecting to find worse so I'm reasonably happy with how short that list is. :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12540 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:36:11 am »
I trust there will be bar plugs too ;D

Eventually. We wouldn't want to rush these things.

Actually, since I am aiming to ride my trike 2 x 100km over the weekend, I've still got to swap bars (got that done but nothing else), brake levers and fit new brake cables. The handlebar tape might end up being applied after midnight...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12541 on: 29 October, 2017, 04:08:09 pm »
Removed a star-fangled nut from a threaded fork that some philistine had been using as a threadless fork (the threads are fine).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12542 on: 30 October, 2017, 06:01:43 pm »
When I bought the Bridgestone Moulton last year, decided not to bother fitting a computer, but missed knowing my speed, average and distance.

So today I succumbed to buying a basic wired one from Wilkos, and fitted it. Had to rearrange items on the handlebars to make enough space, but was thwarted in trying to make the cable inconspicuous by it being only just long enough for a 17 inch wheeled bike, aggravated by having to put the sensor at the bottom of the front fork to get it close enough to the spoke magnet.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12543 on: 01 November, 2017, 10:08:59 pm »
The prototype for the 'see like a snake' glasses. Works fine with an IR temperature sensor - can pick up body heat about 2m away and changes colour according to the temperature recorded.
Some serious laser cutting required.
And one of my colleagues kindly pointed out the alternative splice mutation that allows certain snakes and vampire bats to 'see' heat with their pit organs.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12544 on: 02 November, 2017, 03:29:20 pm »
shiny new chain and cassette - always feels a little occasion!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12545 on: 03 November, 2017, 11:48:14 am »
'Pit organ' makes me think of the Mighty Wurlitzer rising up...
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #12546 on: 03 November, 2017, 04:55:47 pm »
I has fettled a list for my book of sciency things and cool gadgets to make which sort of do the sciency bits too.

Chapters like "Whats the loudest thing you can't hear?", "How to train a dragon" and "Catch me if you can".
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12547 on: 04 November, 2017, 09:29:35 am »
Put new cleats on my new shoes - an excellent example of a battle plan that won't survive contact with the enemy.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12548 on: 04 November, 2017, 03:05:50 pm »
Winter is coming.
Put some shiny new studded tyres on the commuter. Then I tidied up the shed a little bit.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12549 on: 04 November, 2017, 06:16:58 pm »
Got my old stages power meter working reliably. Pleased:)