Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2164429 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12575 on: 18 November, 2017, 10:35:16 pm »
Today I have: -
  • Removed the worn chainset from my tourer
  • Fitted a chainset
  • Found that the BB axle was shorter than I expected and the spare chainset fouled the frame
  • Removed spare chainset
  • Removed the BB from the frame for the first time since 2012 :-[
  • Fitted a longer axle BB and refitted the chainset

Then the postie turned up and she gave me a parcel with bits to fix the dishwasher so I fixed that; and I finished by replacing the broken spoke in the front wheel of my Raleigh.

While I was sorting that the rugby kicked off on the TV, so I never actually got out to ride a bike anywhere :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12576 on: 19 November, 2017, 03:48:37 pm »
Cut down two pairs of flat bars to my preferred length of 55cm (ish).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12577 on: 19 November, 2017, 05:31:14 pm »
Tweaked the gears of HK's Condor and the rear brake on my fixed. Put a King Dick adjustable spanner into the fixed's tool bottle. Fitted a rear battery light to velosam's bike and epoxied together a battery headlight. It'll be tested tomorrow.

Most pleasingly, I solved an annoying problem on my trike. One of the rear wheels has been sticking on the taper, despite liberal grease and later anti-seize. A bearing puller was needed to remove the wheel, despite the tender ministrations of Dr Trykit previously. It turns out that Finish Line's stupidly expensive Extreme Fluoro grease recommended for S&S couplers works better than anti-seize. Very gentle prying with a plastic tyre lever is more than enough now.

Fitted an old set of Ultegra brake levers, new clamp-on downtube cable stop and Shimano 9sp barend levers to my trike but still need to cable it up and then retape it.

Regreased a Zefal HPX and a Silca track pump that were dragging a bit in use.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12578 on: 19 November, 2017, 05:56:39 pm »
Spent a relaxing minute or two on three separate occasions during our ride adjusting the tilt of my Brooks B17. 

These things have to be just so.   :thumbsup:

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #12579 on: 19 November, 2017, 06:53:28 pm »
Spent 15 minutes replacing a broken spoke on my audax bike.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12580 on: 20 November, 2017, 10:01:28 am »
Shortened stays on new rear rack; attached Secula to rear mudguard; started attachment of front guard.

Cleaned dlg glider; reglued tailplane; cut recesses and stuck magnets in fuselage for wing retention
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12581 on: 20 November, 2017, 10:36:33 am »
Pumped up tyres and daubed lube on chain.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #12582 on: 20 November, 2017, 10:08:02 pm »
Straightened a slightly bent rear mech hanger.

« Reply #12583 on: 21 November, 2017, 03:41:27 am »
Converted a half-sheet of plywood and a few sticks into a stand to support a new printer-copier-scanner-fax machine.  In the process, had to deal with some non-perpendicular cuts made at the lumberyard by their allegedly square-cutting panel saw setup.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12584 on: 21 November, 2017, 09:37:28 am »
I adapted semi-hard cases as mini-Field Boxes for my TX and Quads.
Getting there...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12585 on: 21 November, 2017, 02:58:02 pm »
fettled my friends garmin1000 which wouldn't charge. it now charges.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12586 on: 22 November, 2017, 10:53:51 am »
Fitted magnets to my dlg wing, and washed my big glider.

[Can't do bike fettling till the weekend :/ ]
Getting there...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12587 on: 22 November, 2017, 02:45:30 pm »
Replaced a gear cable that had broken about 3mm from the nipple in an 11 speed Sti lever (which of course was in the maximum pull position) - involved holding back the rubber hood with a heavy-duty cable tie, removing 3 separate bits of the plastic cowl on the lever and then prodding around with pointed pick to get the remains of the nipple and frayed wire out.

.. and all that after almost the same process on the LH lever with a similar cable break only about a month ago.

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12588 on: 24 November, 2017, 07:46:45 am »
Tensioned the creaking Gyes leather saddle that recently went onto my fixed.

I have a Rivet Pearl Pass saddle on my Moulton, the Gyes and a Spa Nidd to go on my Frezoni. All from the same factory and using basically the same frame and similar leather but quite different saddles, mostly because of different cutouts and other details.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12589 on: 25 November, 2017, 03:33:58 pm »
Sometimes bike maintenance feels sisyphean. HK mentioned that she'd broken a spoke on her MTB commuter's rear wheel and swapped to the Condor again for the rest of the week. Today I finally looked at it and found three broken Sapim DB spokes, all roughly midway along. A bad batch of steel, I guess. Time to order a new set of spokes and rebuild the wheel next weekend.

Combined a Moon USB headlight with a broken rubber strap mount with an obsolete Cateye Halogen Micro mount to use as a backup to a dynamo headlight, interchanging with a Plescher mapholder on another Micro mount as required.

Fitted a Cateye front flasher under the stem of my fixed. Hopefully that'll catch London drivers' attention more than the low-mounted dyno headlight. Fitted a tiny, crappy, backup headlight to my Brompton's handlebar and wedged the plastic-wrapped spare tube between the saddle rails.

Packed a Moulton/ Brompton care package to be posted to Aussie friends next week.

Fitted our last Grand Prix tyre to a spare Moulton front wheel.

Fitted a SH rear mech (that needed some bits swapped from the removed mech) and started cabling up my trike.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12590 on: 25 November, 2017, 04:06:18 pm »
Finally replaced the dodgy fluorescents in my office. Nasty sweaty job working overhead by the light of the silvery Petzl, intermittently assisted by a fly. Managed not to get it trapped inside the new one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12591 on: 25 November, 2017, 05:16:45 pm »
Serviced the fork on the Streetmachine.  I hate that job, and it always takes about three times longer than I expect.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12592 on: 26 November, 2017, 09:34:13 am »
Finally replaced the dodgy fluorescents in my office. Nasty sweaty job working overhead by the light of the silvery Petzl, intermittently assisted by a fly. Managed not to get it trapped inside the new one.

Bugger.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12593 on: 26 November, 2017, 04:37:02 pm »
Finished cabling my trike, overcoming some indexing difficulties with zipties routing the rear cable through/ around the axle loops. Just need to tape the bars, either red or white, to go with the British Racing Green and white transfers.

Now that it is finished, I've taken stock of what has been replaced since I bought it as 'fully serviced and ready to ride'. The only components that weren't worn out or incompatible and therefore could be reused were the wheels, rear axles/ cups, inner tubes and the Shimano 600 cantilever brake and cable stop. Everything else has been replaced, including the gear hanger, seatpost bolt and seatpost (wrong diameter!). The Ultegra Octalink triple cranks, BB, brake levers, standard reach dual-pivot brake, mudguard and Brooks saddle came from the garage stock but everything else was bought for the trike.

Unfortunately the cheap headlight on my trike emitted a funny smell and stopped working. Hopefully the Enerloop AAA batteries haven't been too affected. They are in the smart charger being capacity checked.

« Reply #12594 on: 26 November, 2017, 04:45:37 pm »
Excellent choice of colours.  I have British racing green with white transfers on my Harry Hall (courtesy of Torslanda) but as I have black bars, I also have black tape.  In your shoes I'd choose white over red and be prepared to change it more often - but then I'm not a too bloody good at cricket (though not at rugger) bastard Aussie (though my Dad was brought up there)!

Peter

PS What frame is it?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12595 on: 26 November, 2017, 10:10:25 pm »
White handlebar tape is probably where I'm heading. A little grubbiness will just brag of mega-miles; entirely unjustified in my case.

It is a quite nice late '70s or early '80s bike frame with a brazed-in single wheel drive Ken Rogers axle that took a rear drum brake and freewheel; since removed and a 9sp Shimano cassette fitted. It has Rogers stickers (possibly converted by KR from new) and the frame is flexible as hell. I can move the handlebars laterally by huge amounts while keeping all wheels on the blacktop. Some paint was burnt off the headtube to add some braze to prevent the (new) cups from moving in the head tube. At some point I'll have to rattlecan it but some oil is keeping the surface rust at bay in the meantime.

If I get along reasonably well with three wheels, I'll get a stainless S&S Trykit. It is a nightmare transporting a normal trike by public transport (e.g. trains, aeroplanes) otherwise. I don't think anybody is building a better-riding trike.
http://trykit.xara.hosting/index_htm_files/2528@2x.jpg
http://trykit.xara.hosting/index_htm_files/2529@2x.jpg

My dad was a £10 Pom, so I have a foot in both camps.

« Reply #12596 on: 27 November, 2017, 12:55:47 pm »
D, that is seriously impressive!  Mind you, I think you may need bigger handlebars for that clock.  As for the feet, that's handy: just now you can have one in the rugger and the other in the cricket!

Once again, that's a lovely piece of engineering.

Peter

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12597 on: 27 November, 2017, 01:02:01 pm »
That particular trike belongs to Edwin and has been round some long brevets, including LEL13. HK's Trykit is similar but a shade smaller with 559 wheels. If I reach the point of getting a similar trike, I don't know whether to go for 559 or 622 wheels. One is easier to pack, the other is easier to buy decent tyres for.

« Reply #12598 on: 28 November, 2017, 08:00:07 pm »
This is more "What will you be fettling tomorrow".  The bits to replace the pedal on my commuter, and solve yesterday's "issue".

Since I always grease the threads on my pedals, the entire process should take about one minute!  I do like easy repairs. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12599 on: 28 November, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »
Cleaned up a set of secondhand car wheel nuts (£150 new, £20 used including the proper locking nuts).  A scrub with Barkeeper's Friend and they're like new.  I like to use separate nuts for the winter wheels so at least one set is kept away from salt and stays non-rusty.