Author Topic: Severn Across 2016  (Read 5658 times)

Severn Across 2016
« on: 06 April, 2016, 01:15:34 pm »
Dear All,

There's a temporary change of ownership for the Severn Across this year - Manotea is covering for me (while I'm detained at Jeremy Hunt's pleasure).

Paul will provide the usual thrills of Yat Rock, Severn Bridge and Membury Services plus his unique headset and steerer assembly masterclass for any early starters.

It's the best 400 within commuting distance of London and you'll all be back in time to put up shelves/do the gardening/your favourite Bank Holiday activity...

Liam

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Severn Across 2016 - 30th April
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2016, 02:10:25 pm »
7Across - enter now by Paypal! No SAE required.

Usual 'no mod cons' (bring a sleeping bag) sleepover at the community centre available on the Friday night for those who would like a leisurely start to the day.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Severn Across 2016
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2016, 02:27:13 pm »
Heal up well Liam!

I'll be out doing routechecking next weekend.  Based on history, this will mean that I am in for horrific weather (2014 in particular) and the actual event will have reasonably decent weather.  If you read reports of me riding next weekend in warm and dry conditions, you should maybe be very worried and make sure you've got some extra layers!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2016, 01:38:05 am »
Good to have an impromptu catch up with Marcus at Membury Services on his route check tonight :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2016, 10:14:54 am »
Good to see you too!

Gosh that was cold.  Started very cold and wet (with a bit of light snow just to amuse me even more), arrived at the first control very cold indeed.

Once the rain cleared, the later afternoon and early evening were really very pleasant, but as soon as the sun went down, the temperature was around freezing almost instantly.  The night was pretty horrific and highlighted how badly dressed I was - I really hadn't looked carefully enough at the forecast and whilst, in general, I had enough layers, the glove and shoe situation was not satisfactory.  Plastic bags and stolen gloves from the petrol pumps were not enough!

The route was all fine. 

Expect temperatures in the high 20s for the event.

The best bit of the ride was riding over a completely closed Severn Bridge (maintenance) - it was all a little 28 Days Later!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2016, 09:49:24 pm »
Any idea when the route will be available or does anybody a have link to last year's route

« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2016, 10:25:52 pm »

Gosh that was cold.  Started very cold and wet (with a bit of light snow just to amuse me even more), arrived at the first control very cold indeed.

Marcus, can I just say one thing - you don't have to route check the 7A ever again in shite weather[as you always seem to] to prove to me that you are in fact very much simply: a hard core Audaxer.
Chapeau old young chap!
Garry Broad

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2016, 07:40:40 am »
I seem to always get the bad weather for sure on this one.

It is always amplified when route checking as you need to check signposts and all that stuff, progress is slower than hammering along listening to the beepy garmin telling you to turn etc. and, of course, 460km (by the time I have got out to CSP and back) is quite a long way without companions to share the misery.

Any idea when the route will be available or does anybody a have link to last year's route

I am sure manotea will have that sorted soon now the route check is done, but let me dig out a Strava link.

https://www.strava.com/activities/297068464

That is last year - it does feature me avoiding Symond's Yat Rock as I was on fixed (same amount of climbing, but taking the long way around).

It is a lovely route through some fine countryside. The climbing is generally nothing to worry about, only two tougher ones (Symond's Yat and Somerset Monument) and everything else is generally longer and shallower stuff but, overall, it's a rolling route.

The night section is easy enough, though the long climb to membury can be a bit disheartening as you can see the lights on the radio mast for miles and it never seems to get closer.... Services there are pretty good with Starbucks being 24 hour etc. Remember it is not a race, so if you need a little nap there, then do it, the chairs are comfortable enough!

The run back to CSP from there can be made faster by the A4 route - I have never done it, having been route checking all the time, but plenty of riders do use it. I like the lanes anyway and it all means more time on my bike, which is better, even in sub zero conditions.

Enjoy it!
Right! What's next?

« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2016, 08:53:16 am »
Thank you

Manotea

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2016, 09:29:49 am »
Well done Marcus
l 'lol send an update out this evening.
I'm just about to order cards so now's the time to enter!

Paul

Manotea

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2016, 09:41:46 pm »
Right, the route sheet and gpx track is now online and Ive mailed a copy to 40 entrants. I'll order 60 cards - there may be some last minute entries from the Heart of England riders!

« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2016, 03:36:17 pm »
For those using the A4 route on the way back, I am, I have found a 24hr McDs at Theale - approx 357km

« Reply #12 on: 29 April, 2016, 05:21:11 pm »
Weather forecast not too bad.
Head wind on the way ( max 20mph) out, tail wind back.
But it is going to be cold but hopefully no or little rain

Manotea

« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2016, 07:47:18 am »
Marcus did a fine job attracting the ire of the weathergods... today we have a fine albeit slightly crispy morning, with 39 riders on the road set for a grand day out. Excellent!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #14 on: 30 April, 2016, 10:39:21 am »
I aim to please!

Lovely day out where I am (Sussex today). But the night looks cold again, but maybe not quite as cold as the route check.

Enjoy the day all!
Right! What's next?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2016, 02:01:30 pm »
A couple of minor showers for me, and then one heavier one approaching membury.  Great route great weather. Possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. Hope of becoming a super randoneur seem a bit crushed.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #16 on: 01 May, 2016, 07:39:50 pm »
Possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. Hope of becoming a super randoneur seem a bit crushed.

You'll have forgotten it by Wednesday and find yourself looking forward to your 600! (and everyone says that 600's are easier than 400's)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2016, 08:13:15 pm »
Possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. Hope of becoming a super randoneur seem a bit crushed.

You'll have forgotten it by Wednesday and find yourself looking forward to your 600! (and everyone says that 600's are easier than 400's)

;D that mille pennines looks good.

But the 600s are to far way, or too hilly  or on the wrong weekend.  Flatlands seems viable, but so late in the year days will be shorter.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2016, 08:43:19 pm »
Don't worry about the daylight. Speed drops a bit but otherwise no dramas.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #19 on: 02 May, 2016, 07:37:11 pm »
Thanks to Manotea for covering for Liam (GWS Liam)

I had a cold (but not too chilly) ride round with only a couple of light showers to 'dampen' the day, so thanks also to marcusjb for pacifying the weather gods on his route check.

Rode most of the way with swisshat (well on the flat at least as I am no match on the up bits) and got round in time for a few hours kip before leaving to get to my club open TT.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #20 on: 03 May, 2016, 12:16:35 am »
I was able to advise the Control points to Close shop! Usefully had the gear (winter!) for the chill. Never relied on ProPlus as much but they worked a treat along with the occasional coffee. Usefully, had my Campervan for some relaxation after PS had shut the Arrivee. Glad I did not opt for (closer to home|) BC400; that extra climbing might have seen me out of time. Thanks Paul.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #21 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:09:49 am »
";D that mille pennines looks good"

Still a few places left on it, entries are still open for the time being.

Andy Corless

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #22 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:38:23 am »
";D that mille pennines looks good"

Still a few places left on it, entries are still open for the time being.

Andy Corless

Question, would a 200, 300, 400  and 1000 count as a super randoneur series?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #23 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:45:47 am »
Yes - you can substitute longer for shorter (certainly for AUK, not 100% for BRM/ACP purposes).
Right! What's next?

« Reply #24 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:57:05 am »
Yes - you can substitute longer for shorter (certainly for AUK, not 100% for BRM/ACP purposes).

ACP only accepts exact distances for a BRM super series for their awards.