Author Topic: Richard Ellis  (Read 19738 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Richard Ellis
« Reply #50 on: 09 April, 2016, 05:23:07 pm »
Awful news. RIP.

« Reply #51 on: 09 April, 2016, 06:13:14 pm »
RIP Richard. I think I only met him briefly at a few events, but clearly know many who did know him.

Thinking back over recent - as in over several years - tragic deaths on events, one thing surprises me a little;
I dont recall any newspaper coverage mentioning "Audax".

Matt, when you think about it, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

What a horrible business.

« Reply #52 on: 09 April, 2016, 07:08:54 pm »
Thanks to those of you who have sent me photos of Richard, which I have in turn passed on to his daughter Natasha - she is very appreciative of them.

She was also touched to hear that Ivan, Justin and the riders of today's ACH-run Shark held a minute's silence at the start in Greenwich.

I understand that because of the circumstances of his death, Richard's funeral will be delayed, but Natasha said that once arrangements are made, anyone will be welcome to attend - her dad would have liked that.

(As for press coverage, I understand that the DC organiser was asked by at least one journalist about that day's cycle race, but they didn't pursue it after being told that Richard was not taking part in a race. This is a bit of a diversion though.)

« Reply #53 on: 11 April, 2016, 01:54:18 pm »
I was one of the riders who arrived very shortly after the accident. I have little to add to what Sloth has written but as he says the attitude of the public who were driving past was first class. Nurses and para medics stopping to see what they could do -and the first two of them giving Richard CPR till the air ambulances arrived.
Seeing him and then leaving him as all of the emergency services arrived , will stay with me forever. The emotions were increased by having ridden with Richard on and off for a chunk of both Saturday and Sunday. Always looking relaxed and self -contained but with a ready smile.
As Sloth said to me afterwards -at least he had just had a weekend of doing what he loved.
My heart goes out to his family.

Once details of his funeral and the family's wishes -I believe for donations to the air ambulance and a cycling charity -are known if those could please be circulated that would be appreciated by many of us I am sure.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 11 April, 2016, 07:54:39 pm »
As Sloth said to me afterwards -at least he had just had a weekend of doing what he loved.
Completely agree    :thumbsup:

Thanks to those of you who have sent me photos of Richard, which I have in turn passed on to his daughter Natasha - she is very appreciative of them.
<snip>

(As for press coverage, I understand that the DC organiser was asked by at least one journalist about that day's cycle race, but they didn't pursue it after being told that Richard was not taking part in a race. This is a bit of a diversion though.)
Thanks John - on both issues.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 15 April, 2016, 03:27:07 pm »
From the Family of Richard Ellis.
We would like to thank you all for the messages and Photos.
His funeral will be held on Thursday 28th April 12.00pm at Southend Crematorium, Sutton Road Southend on Sea SS2 % PX and afterwards at the Rayleigh Club, Hullbridge Road Rayleigh Essex SS6 9 QS.

Any and everyone will be welcome.

Mary Ellis
Lisa,  Nikke, and Tasha.

« Reply #56 on: 15 April, 2016, 06:13:23 pm »
So very, very sad

Phil W

« Reply #57 on: 18 April, 2016, 10:40:28 pm »
Thanks Mary.

Detailed noted.

Thoughts with your family,

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #58 on: 19 April, 2016, 05:29:06 pm »
Sad times - I've definitely ridden a few audaxes with him. Didn't know him personally, but have shared a wheel into a few headwinds. Green & Yellow Fields possibly? Elysium Fields now...  :'(

RIP Richard.

« Reply #59 on: 22 April, 2016, 07:28:05 pm »
I was always pleased to ride with Richard on some of my rides in preparation for the 2015 PBP. He was a smart rider , a strong rider and a rider that rode with a love for his bike! Life is short ,Life is strange and should be never taken for granted.. I am sure that we will never forget what a buoyant person he was!  Live on Richard and turn the wheels forever more! Condolences to the family . I'm also very sorry that I can not make the funeral day. My thoughts will be with you all and Richard!

« Reply #60 on: 26 April, 2016, 07:17:43 pm »
We have set up a web link for live streaming of Richards funeral service for those that cannot attend. If anyone would like the login details please email  my son in law Dan at daniel-starkey@sky.com and he will forward them to you.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: 27 April, 2016, 05:49:09 pm »
I will be in attendance tomorrow.

« Reply #62 on: 27 April, 2016, 06:54:05 pm »
I am also going to be attending tomorrow.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #63 on: 27 April, 2016, 07:08:47 pm »
I'll be riding down from Cambridge to attend.  I confirmed with the family last night that they are happy for cyclists to attend dressed as cyclists.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #64 on: 27 April, 2016, 08:08:24 pm »
I'll be attending, train and bike.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #65 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:15:46 am »
I will be thinking of Richard and his family today.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #66 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:19:24 am »
I will be thinking of Richard, too.

« Reply #67 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:51:06 am »
Yes.

« Reply #68 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:53:43 am »
Yes, indeed. A lot of us will be thinking of him today - and on Porkers on Sunday, which he was scheduled to ride.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #69 on: 28 April, 2016, 11:37:45 am »
I will too.
The Sight of the blue flashing emergency service lights at the scene will haunt me for some time.
More so as they were for one of ours.

« Reply #71 on: 07 January, 2017, 03:40:35 pm »
A short custodial sentence, but then some drivers only get the ban.

I hope reporting the Audax as a race doesn't get the paper's readers wondering if the event was partly to blame.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #72 on: 07 January, 2017, 04:46:08 pm »
Anyone can make one stupid mistake but  less than 5 months after killing Richard Ellis she was pulled over for driving erratically under the influence of drugs (anti depressants)and alcohol.

Not fit to drive ever again IMHO.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #73 on: 07 January, 2017, 04:47:29 pm »
So do I but the offender's second offence within a few months won't paint her in a favourable light, especially as she was on drink and drugs.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #74 on: 07 January, 2017, 04:49:44 pm »
This woman killed Richard through downright thoughtlessness .. and a few months later is caught driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
The prison sentence is very light in my mind .. but if combined with a life time driving ban .. would make sense to me.

AUK Board .. why not check can we appeal against the leniency of the sentence.. in this case become active in trying to redress the motorist/ cyclist inbalance that exists when " accidents" happen.

A very upset, angry and determined..  Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!