Author Topic: Brevet Cymru - 2016 edition  (Read 16758 times)

Re: Brevet Cymru - 2016 edition
« Reply #25 on: 14 April, 2016, 04:16:02 pm »
I can thoroughly recommend Beeches campsite, Tidenham Chase---located near St Briavels it`s about 12 km to start (and 200m higher); I and several other AUKs have used it and enjoy ride down in morning (maybe not back after event though)

http://beechesfarmcampsite.co.uk/?page_id=2

Thanks! Looks good, now to find some trains!

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 14 April, 2016, 04:55:50 pm »
Hmm, 60-odd km each way ECE or Severn View Travelodge?

« Reply #27 on: 14 April, 2016, 05:05:24 pm »
Hhmm almost time for `what`s weather going to be like`   :facepalm:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2016, 05:05:43 pm »
I'll be there as a helper. Having ridden this event twice it'll be interesting to see what it's like on the other side of the brevet card, so to speak. :))

« Reply #29 on: 14 April, 2016, 05:14:44 pm »
I'll be there as a helper. Having ridden this event twice it'll be interesting to see what it's like on the other side of the brevet card, so to speak. :))

good stuff and appreciated  by all I`m sure; just keep plenty of cake for me please as I struggle in late !!
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #30 on: 22 April, 2016, 02:31:22 pm »
I am not a fan of the new route to hay and stuck to the old route last year.

RS & GPX are the same as the 2014 (AFAICS) - but I went Golden Valley way last year (which I think was not available in 2014 due to landslip) 

« Reply #31 on: 22 April, 2016, 02:36:39 pm »
Can't make it this year, off to Scotland and a 300km lap of the Cairngorms... next time!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #32 on: 22 April, 2016, 02:40:51 pm »
If I get up early on Saturday may see some of you in Hay-on-Wye which is my first control on the Cambrian 8A.  If not, I'm aiming to be in Aberaeron on Monday morning  :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #33 on: 22 April, 2016, 04:08:16 pm »
before i go and book the train tickets and accommodation for friday night i thought i'd ask here if anyone's got a room at travelodge for sharing? ta

simonp

« Reply #34 on: 22 April, 2016, 05:05:55 pm »
before i go and book the train tickets and accommodation for friday night i thought i'd ask here if anyone's got a room at travelodge for sharing? ta

I've not booked one yet but would be happy to share.

« Reply #35 on: 25 April, 2016, 05:07:13 pm »
Weather forecast at the moment says light rain but a good tailwind back from New Quay  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

simonp

« Reply #36 on: 25 April, 2016, 05:26:54 pm »
I was going to book two nights at the Travelodge, but booked one once I saw the prices.

Will take a sleeping bag for afterwards!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #37 on: 25 April, 2016, 07:23:34 pm »
I have looked and cannot see a route sheet yet. Have I missed this? Also is the route the same as 2014. I have a gpx for that.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #38 on: 25 April, 2016, 08:38:44 pm »
DNS for me this year :(.  Too much illness and real life going on.  My first ever DNS, which was a surprisingly hard thing to do, but I believe for the best.

This event has been my SR 400 for the last 4 years, and the only 400 I've ever ridden (outside of a couple of arrows, one successful, one less so).  In my book, it's possibly the perfect audax ride.

I hope this year's event goes well and everbody has a great time.  I'll be back...
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #39 on: 27 April, 2016, 10:39:18 am »
I swore that I'd never ride the BC again, but here I am planning my third ride. This time, due to multiple catastrophic bike failures I'll be riding an inappropriate but comfortable setup on my SS mountain bike for 400km road ride. I won't be quick, but I'll get to see more of countryside, fast downhill's will be a blast but those 'A' road sections will become a drag with my 34x16 gear. If you see me, please don't laugh!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #40 on: 27 April, 2016, 11:13:20 am »
Hi James

Can you not switch the gearing out from you fixed, or borrow a slightly smaller sprocket out of a cassette and get a bigger chainring ie -2 sprocket, +2 chainring? (ie chain stays same length so still works)

Seeya on Saturday morning :thumbsup:

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #41 on: 27 April, 2016, 11:24:29 am »
Hi James

Can you not switch the gearing out from you fixed, or borrow a slightly smaller sprocket out of a cassette and get a bigger chainring ie -2 sprocket, +2 chainring? (ie chain stays same length so still works)

Seeya on Saturday morning :thumbsup:

I could, but I can't be bothered. I know, I know that's not the right attitude but I've trundled around the Yr Elenydd on this setup in the past and in a funny but nice way, it's pleasant having your top 'on the flat' speed capped by cadence and not wind resistance. It enforces a senses of calm on the ride. If I'm lean with my stops then I'll still get round in a reasonable time.

But yes, see you on Saturday :)
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #42 on: 27 April, 2016, 11:25:41 am »
To remind everyone, the Severn Bridge (the old one) was closed west bound last Saturday so add a bit if you plan to drive to the hall as you will need to go over the second severn crossing (possibly)  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #43 on: 27 April, 2016, 11:39:52 am »
^ riding across it when closed is proper 28 days later stuff. Awesome.

Apart from the two separate motorbikes I encountered who use the bike path to avoid the closure.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Phil W

« Reply #44 on: 27 April, 2016, 08:27:13 pm »
So cycle track over the bridge  is still open from Severn view services my delightful resting place Friday night?

« Reply #46 on: 28 April, 2016, 07:58:29 am »

Apart from the two separate motorbikes I encountered who use the bike path to avoid the closure.

Motorbikes or mopeds?

The former - deffo breaking the law, the latter - permitted.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #47 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:01:35 am »
If any one has received mailing from "kinder kelper evil" (whomsoever they are), my apologies, it would appear my account has been hacked.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #48 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:03:51 am »

Motorbikes or mopeds?

One big touring BMW and then something smaller. Neither riding fast or anything, but definitely did not belong there!

Anyway, it was cool riding across with nothing on the road. That combined with the usual winds made it feel like the end of the world a little.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #49 on: 28 April, 2016, 08:55:19 am »

Motorbikes or mopeds?

I saw 3 BMW's coming other way on Saturday not 50cc jobs but the pukka 1200cc bikes

Thanks James for the link I couldn't remember the weekends the bridge was closed  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75