Author Topic: Cambrian 600  (Read 12745 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: Cambrian 600
« Reply #50 on: 08 June, 2009, 04:27:35 pm »
OK - clocking in  from Norfolk.

I like the Cambrian as a ride - that is my 3rd and to drive up from Norfolk to do a basic 600 means you have got to like something about it - that Elan valley is just great.

Yacf contacts - saw Rich at start - and not long after - when I stopped to put overboots on - silly me I hadnt started with them on. Rode a certain amount with Disrael - who had really underestimated the potential nastiness of the ride - and had to buy extra clothes at Church Stretton I think-- sorry to see that you did not make it. All the best with your 24 hour ride.

Rode out of Aber with Sheila and Tom? - who were going steadily - but on the descents I was getting so cold that I had to leave them after Llangurig to try to warm up. Rode all the last 140kms with Julian ( who I dont think is "one of us" ) - together we made better progress than i would have done alone. You can not pack then - you are so cold and sodden right thru,   - you are 100 miles from the car, and a  Travelodge  - there is nothing to do except keep going - but on my own I would have hated it - riding with someone somehow makes it bearable.

However I have to say that the experience was the most unpleasant ride that I have ever had. It puts Beast from the East, PBP and this years Chapman as just also rans.

It wasnt the rain that was the killer ( I had 27.30 hours of rain out of 34.30 total time) - it was the cold that made it so much worse - was it really 7C all the time - felt worse on top of those hills.

Physical damage - if I am very wet and cold - I do not change hand position very much - leads to nerve damage and I now have tingly fingers on both hands - same as PBP - only other time that has happened to me.  I also had something odd with the front of both kneecaps - they felt cold and wet and slightly painful - OK while pedalling - but I did hobble around when finished. Seem OK now. Minor damage to Achilles tendon area of left foot.

Silly mistakes -- for the second time on a 600 I forgot my head torch - got away with that except for unshipping my chain once - near a lot of bleating sheep  - that will help you pin the location exactly !! - and I also failed to pack extra batteries for GPS - they were left in bag in car by mistake. Must remember to change batteries at about 20 hours when sitting in a control - rather than stop riding and have to fiddle in saddlebag etc.

File this lot away and think about how it impacts on my LEL plans.

Will study AndyC's recommendations on clothing carefully - well worth learning what has worked in those conditions.

Just for comparison purposes - 2008 Aber at 20.27  2009 20.07 - and I had sat down and eaten at Builth - which I did not do in 08. but by Newtown and Dinkys diner I am 1 hour down and by Hollies 2 hours down and a little more time is lost by the end.

Like all things - the bad fades away - and the sense of quiet satisfaction in pitting my mental and physical capabilities against the weather and distance ends up with a tick -

I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #51 on: 08 June, 2009, 06:13:13 pm »
Just finished unpacking gear and getting it thru the wash or just hanging up and trying to get it dry.
I discovered my little ducks ( ?) - on Friday I thought it was going to rain a bit - so checked with LBS - did they have a helmet cover - No - but they said check your house for shower caps. Elke said - we did have one - but it had never been used - open the package and there on a blue background were about 30 little yellow ducks -- very fetching !

I used the ducks twice - initially for a couple of hours to Builth - and then  again after Dinkys. I was told by the same person that I looked a complete pillock - and that it suited me -- but I didnt care - the little ducks helped to keep my head warm - and they are going to find a permanent place amongst my cycling gear. One day i am sure that a very embarrassing photo will turn up  -- but I dont care - my little ducks worked .

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #52 on: 08 June, 2009, 06:42:43 pm »
Will study AndyC's recommendations on clothing carefully - well worth learning what has worked in those conditions.

Just about the only (coherent) words spoken by Sheila since she got back -
"Must buy rainlegs - must buy ... must buy ..."
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #53 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:19:18 pm »

Apologies that was me, I was quoting an old clubmate. .
AC

No probs at all - when I was checking that the shower cap would actually go on my helmet my wife said  " You look like an idiot -- but we all know that already".
But it worked - so I rest my case.
Rog

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #54 on: 08 June, 2009, 09:29:19 pm »

Just about the only (coherent) words spoken by Sheila since she got back -
"Must buy rainlegs - must buy ... must buy ..."

Strange - I rode briefly with Sheila from Aber - and she told me that this ride would be the first 600 she had done which she would have ridden the whole way in longs - and now she wants rainlegs!

I last saw her at Llangurig - and was told  that her bike was later seen outside a pub.

Can she recommend the pub and which one was it? hope she finished in good fettle - although your quote makes it seem as if she found it a tough ride.

But still pass on my thx for setting it all up and riding it too when she could easily have had a nice quiet day at home.

« Reply #55 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:30:08 pm »
This was my first 600km Audax  and first SR series - what an induction!

I remember the shower cap when you first got it out in the cafe at Wem. I can remember thinking "why didn't I think of that - bloody good idea!"

Your ride report epitomises the struggle we all had against the elements, physical pain, cold and most of all our own self doubts.

What a sense of achievement though!  24 hours later it is still going strong.

Well done to everyone who eventually finished and supported other riders on this Cambrian 600 epic.

border-rider

« Reply #56 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:34:16 pm »
This was my first 600km Audax  and first SR series - what an induction!

Great achievement !

600s are so much more difficult when the weather is bad.  You'll breeze round the next (dry) one :)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #57 on: 09 June, 2009, 11:07:35 am »
I last saw her at Llangurig - and was told  that her bike was later seen outside a pub.

not sure, but it may have been my bike that was "seen outside a pub in llangurig", if it was about quarter past 11 - i couldn't resist the temptation to go in and get a night's rest and breakfast, as fortunately (or possibly unfortunately) they had a room. I knew Sheila and a few others were a few minutes behind me, I was riding with them briefly on the 44 but had to forge ahead in an effort to get a bit warmer, but saw them riding past as i was just asking them about the room and if i could put my bike in the garage.
I say unfortuantely as one of the things I did learn about riding my first 600 (and first audax in such foul weather!) is that bailing doesn't necessarily make it that much less miserable - I still had about 70k in the cold and wet to do on the sunday for a train, and mentally I question whether (almost) 300k but with the feeling that the 'worst was over' as sunrise came and with the company of those others, would have been better than that slog of only 70k but with the feeling that it was over and that those miles had an unshakeable air of fruitlessness to them.

Really Ancien

« Reply #58 on: 09 June, 2009, 12:23:08 pm »
I remember the shower cap when you first got it out in the cafe at Wem. I can remember thinking "why didn't I think of that - bloody good idea!"

As usual I've got a film about that on Youtube, shower cap features in the opening sequence, I had to watch Heather's choir concert, 'Songs with a Summer theme' and endure a buffet on Saturday night, but I was there in spirit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPyYn0aRrEo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aPyYn0aRrEo&rel=1</a>

Damon.

« Reply #59 on: 09 June, 2009, 12:53:12 pm »
but it may have been my bike that was "seen outside a pub in llangurig"

I saw two bikes outside a pub on the stretch before Newtown. A Titanium Litespeed with brooks saddle (which got my attention as my two companions up the road were on Van Nicholas Yukons, one with Brooks) and a small Red and White carbon bike.

I think the owners spotted me as i pulled over for a closer look, but i continued to press on.

In the end I had to give up due to my knees. I was ok, if a little saddle sore and had a good section from Newtown to Ford with company, feeling strong and getting through the dozies before it started to get light. When it was raining my knees felt fine, but when it was drier they were killing. I'm wondering whether this was due to them being too cold to hurt in the rain??

After 2 baths when i got back, ice and ibuprofen they've sorted themselves out, making me think I probably could have carried on. However, when I was sat in Wolverhampton station it started hurling it down, I knew i'd made the right decision and getting into my own bed at midday sunday was blissful confirmation.

The trains were cold, carrying my bike up the stairs to cross platforms was agony and the first dozen pedal strokes after arriving back in Liverpool were so tough. My legs had seized up completely.

It was an excellent ride though, and I'm so glad that I did it (well 2/3rds of it anyway). What I achieved didn't feel pointless just because i didn't finish and I'm keeping the Brevet and reciepts for the memories along with my bail out train ticket. Also the pass over to Aber was stunning and seeing a ride kite slope soaring and another later on really made the ride.

It marks my first DNF, so was a milestone in some way at least!

Finally it was nice to bump into new faces and I'm glad to hear that various aquaintances completed the ride (some almost 3 times my age!!)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #60 on: 09 June, 2009, 12:59:41 pm »
but it may have been my bike that was "seen outside a pub in llangurig"

I saw two bikes outside a pub on the stretch before Newtown. A Titanium Litespeed with brooks saddle (which got my attention as my two companions up the road were on Van Nicholas Yukons, one with Brooks) and a small Red and White carbon bike.

I think the owners spotted me as i pulled over for a closer look, but i continued to press on.

In the end I had to give up due to my knees. I was ok, if a little saddle sore and had a good section from Newtown to Ford with company, feeling strong and getting through the dozies before it started to get light. When it was raining my knees felt fine, but when it was drier they were killing. I'm wondering whether this was due to them being too cold to hurt in the rain??

After 2 baths when i got back, ice and ibuprofen they've sorted themselves out, making me think I probably could have carried on. However, when I was sat in Wolverhampton station it started hurling it down, I knew i'd made the right decision and getting into my own bed at midday sunday was blissful confirmation.

The trains were cold, carrying my bike up the stairs to cross platforms was agony and the first dozen peddle strokes after arriving back in Liverpool were so tough. My legs had seized up completely.

It was an excellent ride though, and I'm so glad that I did it. What i achieved didn't feel pointless just because i didn't finish and I'm keeping the Brevet and reciepts for the memories along with my bail out train ticket.

It marks my first DNF, so was a milestone in some way at least!

Finally it was nice to bump into new faces and I'm glad to hear that various aquaintances completed the ride (some almost 3 times my age!!)

ah, no - none of those bikes were mine.
were you the one with tri bars who i was riding with for a brief time after the builth wells little chef?

« Reply #61 on: 09 June, 2009, 01:05:11 pm »
were you the one with tri bars who i was riding with for a brief time after the builth wells little chef?

Yep on the Black Condor. You were the guy on the Scott then? If so you were riding really stong, I thought you had a good chance at cracking the ride, but when the weather is like that, it's more about mental fortitude and experience than physical prowess. I had little of any of those attributes this weekend!!

« Reply #62 on: 09 June, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »
...one of the things I did learn about riding my first 600 (and first audax in such foul weather!) is that bailing doesn't necessarily make it that much less miserable - I still had about 70k in the cold and wet to do on the sunday for a train, and mentally I question whether (almost) 300k but with the feeling that the 'worst was over' as sunrise came and with the company of those others, would have been better than that slog of only 70k but with the feeling that it was over and that those miles had an unshakeable air of fruitlessness to them.

... and you may also have the mindset that means you've got to do the bugger all over again next year.

I was discussing this in the pub with Damarell, Hummers and John Spooner before the BCM.  Hummers claimed to be a serial 'packer' but reckoned that for him the dejection/regret resulting from packing was probably deeper than the dejection that gave rise to the packing.  Or something like that. 

JS has plenty of experience in persuading/bullying/cajoling.tricking people into not packing, some of it recent.  Sounds like you needed him there with you.  His 'After a bad patch the only thing that can follow is a good patch' is sometimes helpful advice.  (But bear in mind that its efficacy can be dented if you rememeber the addendum he came up with after reciting it to himself on the Italian ride: "I just didn't know the bad patch was going to last 700km")

Of course, mechanicals are a different matter, and there are times when the weather may be dangerous, or you may be riding yourself into injury or illness, but, touch wood, that has not yet happened to me.  And the inconvenience and expense of accommodation and transport has always outweighed any cycling misery for me.  And finally, I usually tell family and friends if I'm going to be doing a long ride, and I know that if I pack I'll have to tell them that I 'failed' (apologies for the emotive word), so there can be a cowardice in not packing.

Anyway, well done to all who gave this a go in that weather.  I've never attempted a shoestring event, let alone a shoestring 600.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #63 on: 09 June, 2009, 01:47:10 pm »

Yep on the Black Condor. You were the guy on the Scott then? If so you were riding really stong, I thought you had a good chance at cracking the ride, but when the weather is like that, it's more about mental fortitude and experience than physical prowess. I had little of any of those attributes this weekend!!
yeah i was the one on the scott.
energy wise and tired-ness wise i could easily have made it, but for me cycling has to be enjoyable, which it almost always is but freezing cold hands and feet make it not so... I kept worrying that if i had a puncture or anything then i wouldn't have been able to fix it very easily due to having cold hands and that just added to the decision to call it a day...
if i'm brutally honest, had i been in the same position again and knowing what i know now, would i have took the decision to stop at that pub again?... probably not.

« Reply #64 on: 09 June, 2009, 01:51:48 pm »

As usual I've got a film about that on Youtube, shower cap features in the opening sequence, I had to watch Heather's choir concert, 'Songs with a Summer theme' and endure a buffet on Saturday night, but I was there in spirit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aPyYn0aRrEo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aPyYn0aRrEo&rel=1</a>

Damon.
I was thinking about that film and Heather in the rain as I pedaled over Shap on Sunday. The phone box seems to have gone now.

« Reply #65 on: 09 June, 2009, 02:01:29 pm »
if i'm brutally honest, had i been in the same position again and knowing what i know now, would i have took the decision to stop at that pub again?... probably not.

I think it was easier for me because i packed at Shrewsbury. I spotted nice bus stops during the night* and the temtation to get out of the rain and stop riding was immense, but i knew that whilst I was moving it was probably best to keep on going.

(*in fact most of them were just imagined each time i got to a town with lights I peered along the sides of the roads and saw beautiful bus stops in the shadows, only to find they weren't there. Not as bad as one of my companions who I caught nearer Ford who at one point apparently saw a 9ft packet of ciggies walking down the road towards us!!??)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #66 on: 09 June, 2009, 06:54:35 pm »

The red & white carbon is Sheila's.  I was a bit horrified today to notice it has a 'high tide' mark on the down and seat tubes - around the level of the bottle cages ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #67 on: 29 June, 2009, 11:29:53 pm »
Just a minor follow up

Physical damage - if I am very wet and cold - I do not change hand position very much - leads to nerve damage and I now have tingly fingers on both hands

this was an upthread comment

Well yesterday the skin at the tips of thumbs , index and forefingers on both hands - suddenly ( well all in the same state when I first noticed it)  appeared to be blistered  and was obviously dead - so I pulled it off - not painful - but a little odd - almost like peeling off a layer of loctite or superglue that was stuck on your fingers.
Must be associated with the ride.

And i am still not sure that my knee caps / cartilage have fully recovered yet

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #68 on: 30 June, 2009, 09:53:18 pm »
Same here, yesterday too, dead skin peeling off the fingers (and more disgustingly, toes). Perhaps its some weird kind of hitherto unknown cycling ailment?

I'm pretty sure my feet still haven't recovered. Not only did I get something akin to trench foot, but I also swelled into my shoes when feeling was gone and "battered my feet" according to the GP, leaving me virtually unable to walk.

Now, battered feet may be a delicacy in the far flung reaches of the Raj, but not in Staffordshire. All they get you in Staffycher is a two week course of anti-inflammatories, codeine and a ban from cycling for the same period (which I may 'bend' a little given the proximity of LEL)

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #69 on: 21 July, 2009, 01:06:23 pm »
Apologies for the delay - LEL preps, etc, and numb fingers, but finally got round to joining the forum...

Physical damage - if I am very wet and cold - I do not change hand position very much - leads to nerve damage and I now have tingly fingers on both hands

I resorted to the full Carradice Touring Cape after the climb out of Aberystwyth. Great, in so far as it helped dry out the lycra beneath, giving me dry clothing for keeping warm through the night.
Snag was, to keep the front flap clear of the headlamp (on my bars), I had to hold the top of the bars (rather than ride on the hoods). Several hours of this has resulted in the tingly-finger effect, even now in mid July.
Also still got numb toes, after 36 hours of wet-feet. Amazingly, once I'd ridden home (yep, 650 km total) I was expecting the skin to peel off with the socks - it didn't. I did deploy the tatic of wearing my old, leaky Diadoras rather than my newer, water-retaining Exustars. Better out than in!

Other cape notes (as opposed to "foot-notes"):
Bit of a struggle into the head-wind on the descent off Plynlimon (to Llangurig) but quite manageable once back onto lower valleys and through Montgomery to Shrewsbury.  De-caped through Ironbridge to The Hollies, but had to resort to it from there, most of the way up until Middlewich. Those sections were ok, with mainly cross-winds. 
Have never seen any other idiots in capes though? Is there an Audax ban on them? Normally, I wouldn't have carried it, but given the weather forecast and knowing its benefits from my touring days, it seemed a good idea...
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #70 on: 21 July, 2009, 02:51:12 pm »
My tingly fingers post PBP lasted about 2 months before nerve damage repaired.
Still tingly now after Cambrian - and hoping that LEL isnt too wet - so that I do move my hands around - otherwise what happens to already damaged nerves if they get another 3 or 4 days of damage -- well -- I just hate to consider.
have invested in 2 pairs new mitts today - just to try to help.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #71 on: 21 July, 2009, 10:38:00 pm »
I note from the AUK website a huge 15 finishers this year (I was one of the huge finishers).....that's quite an attrition rate.

« Reply #72 on: 24 July, 2009, 01:08:21 pm »
"Have never seen any other idiots in capes though? Is there an Audax ban on them? Normally, I wouldn't have carried it, but given the weather forecast and knowing its benefits from my touring days, it seemed a good idea..."
Wouldn't be without a cape, if it comes to it you can even sleep in it.
Not good in strong cross winds or head winds but even then it keeps you warm.
I've used it on early morning descents just to keep warm.
Don