Author Topic: Today's Bodge  (Read 2575 times)

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
Today's Bodge
« on: 29 April, 2008, 09:58:22 pm »
Coming home from school today I noticed my mudguard was rattling more than it usually does. I stopped and checked it to find that the two prongs coming from the axle had disconnected from the little mudguard bracket. Looked at the other side of the wheel to see I was missing a piece of plastic 1.5 cm across.

When I got home my Dad, chris, skillfully bent a washer so it held the prongs in place, and screwed it on. Tomorrow I will test it.  ;D

Re: Today's Bodge
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2008, 11:01:06 pm »
Whereas my mudguard (which I think has just suffered the same failure) is now held on tightly with a length of garden wire, covered in electricians tape to prevent clothing snagging.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:30:44 am »
My entire bike is a bit of a bodge. My Dad bought it from a car boot sale for £10 ... only for the LX chainset, which is now on his best bike. Then we realized the bike was actually the right size for me, and it was an MTB for a while, before swapping handlebars with my Dad's hack bike and putting random bits from the garage on like lights and a rack for commuting. And I've tried to make it as colourful as possible - blue frame, yellow forks, black handlebars, white stem, orange bar tape, black oversized mudguards, light blue bottle cage, Hedgehog stickers etc. etc.  ;D

And it worked, but I did not find the little bllack bit of plastic...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2008, 08:33:10 am »
Today's hack for me is to fix my seat clamp slipping.

Clamp was undone, to find that the splines have worn off (yeah it must be an old seat post).  A small piece of alu sheet was cut and drilled to fit between the bottom face of the clamp and the top of the seat post.  The allan key bolt was then tightened up and it would appear to have fixed it, for now!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State