Author Topic: Marches & Mersey roads  (Read 5397 times)

Re: Marches & Mersey roads
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2009, 12:18:03 pm »
That's soooo last week.  Armwarmers are where it's at, man.

I can think of nicer ways to make 'em easier to slide on.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2009, 05:01:13 pm »
With armwarmers you can do that flossing action.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 28 June, 2009, 04:34:56 pm »
That was a hot sticky mucky ride. I'm glad to be home and clean.

« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2009, 09:51:53 pm »
So did you win or were you first loser?

Had you ridden slower you could have enjoyed the refreshing summer rain we experienced in Cheshire.  I'm hoping Toby will be along with some photos

« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2009, 10:02:00 pm »

Had you ridden slower you could have enjoyed the refreshing summer rain we experienced in Cheshire.  I'm hoping Toby will be along with some photos

Ray and I arrived back at the same time, midday, but as he's the stronger rider I'll have to let the honours go to him.

We had a night-time downpour that flooded the roads.

Being stopped by an Exeter friend who's just moved north, as we attempted to find Wettenhall, was the unlikely occurence of the weekend. A few odd hiccoughs in the routesheet added interest to the event.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #30 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:57:11 am »

Was it on it's way to Glastonbury or Wimbledon?

It was that fun summer rain though  :)

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #31 on: 29 June, 2009, 11:45:42 am »
Actually I won on account of the arcane handicap rules in auk which give a generous time benefit to anyone that is not fit enough really to cycle that far but does so out of sheer bloody mindedness.
It was a bit main roady for me but  I enjoyed those nice border counties villages on the way up and the descent back into pontadawe. I finished at about 9 with a very painful knee and there were three people still riding then. The couple that had a camper van next to me in the camp site were not there i think this morning when I left.

« Reply #32 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:27:10 pm »
Glad to hear you finished OK Ludwig.

For those who may be interested, in that first photo, left to right, that's Panoramix, me, Dave Lewis looking pleased as punch, Henry from Sheffield cold-shouldering Dave L, Judith Swallow, and Ron from London.  miniog had already sensibly crossed the road with photographer Toby, because he had realized, too late as it happened, that where were standing prevented the rain from getting to you , but was perfect for receiving the wake from the cars driving down the river you can make out in the second photo.

That group formed pretty much at 125km and stuck together till about 400km, picking up a couple more, until miniog had the first of 3 punctures, I had one and Panoramix had one a couple of km from the end.

My test of wearing sandals worked very well, especially in the wet.  The sensation of rain warmed on hot tarmac spraying over my toes was very pleasant.  Looks like I'll be experiencing a be-sandalled LEL.

« Reply #33 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:33:07 pm »
Actually I won on account of the arcane handicap rules in auk which give a generous time benefit to anyone that is not fit enough really to cycle that far but does so out of sheer bloody mindedness.

That sounds like a variation of the Spooner rule.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #34 on: 29 June, 2009, 01:11:41 pm »
I was well pleased to have completed my first SR serie!

I had a couple of lows, but overall that was a jolly nice ride with friendly people to talk to!!!

Next one is LEL....

I am sure you would be a strong contender also for the most overdistance 600. Glad you finished!

Chief cat entertainer.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #35 on: 29 June, 2009, 05:16:04 pm »

That sounds like a variation of the Spooner rule.

The Spooner rule of "Rhyader by 7pm and you'll be fine" worked for me.

That's a hell of a variation.

Or did you have a different Spooner rule in mind?

Possibly emanating from Arrivée circa 1994? And which you, Mr H, seem to be ignoring quite blatantly?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #36 on: 30 June, 2009, 10:51:12 am »
In reply to panoramix I managed to clock up 643km according to my computer. It didn't feel like an extra 30km though but i guess going off route just a bit throughout the day just added up. I'm not usually quite so bad at navigation I think maybe it's just another symptom of being under prepared. £30km is not so bad but it feels pretty bad when you're lying in the road at 2am after falling off and thinking you could have been at the sleep control an hour and a half ago.