Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284477 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I have to admit to a bit of a King Crimson shaped hole in my musical knowledge, which I really ought to do something about - not least because my favourite Bowie albums are the ones Fripp contributed to.

Disappointingly, there's not a lot of KC on iTunes, which is where I get most of my music these days - I'll need to go out and buy actual CDs or vinyl. And something to play them on!

I do love this King Crimson TV performance though:
https://youtu.be/cmRbSFvh_90
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ah yes, how one thing leads to another. That got me thinking of robert Fripp and Andy Summers - back in the early 80's they brought out I Advance Masked (and I can tell you HERE AND NOW there is no way I saw that video back then, which is a shame). Now that got me thinking about Andy Summers and Kevin Coyne (who was one of my faves at the time). Kevin Coyne was an odd 'un, but he did record an odd track - ok loads of odd tracks but this one slightly relevant -, Cycling

(and I would recommend court of the crimson King as a good entry point for the crim)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I like KC with Adrian Belu.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

I had another Wow moment and had to google King Crimson.

People must have had access to a lot more – not to mention better – drugs back then.

citoyen

:thumbsup:

In other music news, Mercury Rev have covered Bobbie Gentry’s Delta Sweete album and it’s rather lovely...

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-7D8bZ7SI

Steve Wright: Why?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Steve Wright: Why?

He's still on the radio?

ISTR he stopped being funny years before he left the afternoon show on Radio 1 and moved to Radio 2.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Was he ever funny? 
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

For about five minutes in the late eighties/early nineties. Possibly.

I then went off Mark & Lard (who might have been his replacements) once I realised that every show was practically the same gags/skits, in the same order...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Apparently there's going to be a "reboot" of Bergerac. I wonder who'll get the Celia Imrie part  8)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Netflix France have removed season 3 of "The Americans" from their repertoire, leaving 1, 2, 4 & 5. Duh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Ah yes, how one thing leads to another. That got me thinking of robert Fripp and Andy Summers - back in the early 80's they brought out I Advance Masked (and I can tell you HERE AND NOW there is no way I saw that video back then, which is a shame). Now that got me thinking about Andy Summers and Kevin Coyne (who was one of my faves at the time). Kevin Coyne was an odd 'un, but he did record an odd track - ok loads of odd tracks but this one slightly relevant -, Cycling

(and I would recommend court of the crimson King as a good entry point for the crim)

Kevin Coyne! The tracks of my youth indeed...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
:thumbsup:

In other music news, Mercury Rev have covered Bobbie Gentry’s Delta Sweete album and it’s rather lovely...

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-7D8bZ7SI

That’s a bit of an understatement: it’s bloody brilliant! Yesterday I listened to it side by side with the original and in some places I’d say it was better than the original, perhaps because the different vocalists give it greater range?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
I had another Wow moment and had to google King Crimson.

People must have had access to a lot more – not to mention better – drugs back then.

Looking forward to seeing them at The Albert Hall later this year...
It is simpler than it looks.

Musical bukkake

Jaded

• The Codfather
Come again?

By the end of the concert you will be metaphorically covered in Robert Fripp's jizz

Jaded

• The Codfather
I’m looking forward to seeing the crusties at play.

citoyen

A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #1394 on: 12 February, 2019, 08:08:32 am »
[Yesterday I listened to it side by side with the original

I did the same! I’m not always a fan of this kind of thing but the Rev have done a superb job.

I agree that some of their versions are probably better than the originals - Sermon definitely. The Laetitia Sadier one also really stands out for me (Mornin’ Glory). Her voice works so well with that song.

Also Suzanne Sundför’s Tobacco Road - wasn’t sure about it at first but it has really grown on me. Her voice is incredible.

Not sure about Ode to Billie Jo - it’s a bit too dramatic, it’s the understatement that really makes the original.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I've learned that '$band at the BBC' programs are limited by what the BBC recorded.
i.e. you might just get loads of tracks when the band were popular but past their best.
Yes, I am talking about REM.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Mrs. Wow and I are going to do something very unusual this evening. We are going to the cinema. "Green Book" is the object of our desire, highly recommended by our younger son.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
And very enjoyable it was! Based on a true story about a black New York concert pianist who toured the Deep South in 1962. And his minder, a racist Italian bouncer and the friendship that developed between them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Yes, that looks worth a peek. Thanks, Wow.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo