Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 638161 times)

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1150 on: 10 January, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »
This is wrong on so many levels.

Was it feeling chilly??

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1151 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:48:10 am »
Guerrilla velo tricoterie!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1152 on: 11 January, 2012, 09:49:51 am »
This is wrong on so many levels.

I like that!

It's yours, isn't it?  I should have recognised you by your footwear.
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1153 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:33:39 pm »
oh, so you recognised my ankles.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1154 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:38:10 pm »
Recognise them?  I've been lusting after them for years! :P
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1155 on: 19 January, 2012, 12:37:27 pm »
'Ingenious rack'
'Thanks'
'Design it yourself?'
'Yeah'
'I'm impressed.'

The entirety of the conversation I had with a fellow commuter near Newington Butts.  The bike in question was a deep shiny maroon with chromed lugs.  Because the rider was a tall chap, it was of double top-tube design, with double seat stays.  The rack was an integrated one, colour coded with the rest of the frame, brazed to the lower seat stays, coming around the higher ones to form a rectangle of narrow tubing with semi-circular ends and wires gridded across.  There was an extra pair of rack stays brazed to the rear dropouts.  Very stylish and distinctive.
Getting there...

« Reply #1156 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »
'Ingenious rack'
'Thanks'
'Design it yourself?'
'Yeah'
'I'm impressed.'

The entirety of the conversation I had with a fellow commuter near Newington Butts.  The bike in question was a deep shiny maroon with chromed lugs.  Because the rider was a tall chap, it was of double top-tube design, with double seat stays.  The rack was an integrated one, colour coded with the rest of the frame, brazed to the lower seat stays, coming around the higher ones to form a rectangle of narrow tubing with semi-circular ends and wires gridded across.  There was an extra pair of rack stays brazed to the rear dropouts.  Very stylish and distinctive.

I saw him near the Oval a couple of months ago. It's a beautiful piece of kit.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1157 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:21:33 pm »
Isn't it?  I wonder now if he built the whole thing himself - perhaps with the help of our Bicycle Repair Man?
Getting there...

« Reply #1158 on: 19 January, 2012, 10:24:25 pm »
Isn't it?  I wonder now if he built the whole thing himself - perhaps with the help of our Bicycle Repair Man?
He did tell me that he had built it, that much I do recall.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1159 on: 29 January, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »
Saw a group of five Moultons on the A29 between Fontwell and Nyton.  Four spaceframes and one gorgeous modernised Mk3.

« Reply #1160 on: 30 January, 2012, 10:50:07 am »

Onderwater kid first tandem. There are several of these (2 and 3 seaters) in Cambridge, but I guess these are rare elsewhere. They are cracking fun, mainly 'cos the the freaked out look passers by give when they assume the 5 year old at the front is in control (the steering is via linkage from the back).

There was also a Trek with Alfine 8, roller brakes and a Gates belt drive in the shed at work. The owner had thoroughly disguised it with tape, then only locked it to the stand with a thin cable :facepalm:. Hopefully the CCTV will scare the thieves away, although it's not stopped stuff going missing before.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1161 on: 30 January, 2012, 01:24:42 pm »
That's so cool! And in that red it looks like it's been assembled by a gang of fettlicious posties.  :D

« Reply #1162 on: 30 January, 2012, 01:33:27 pm »
can't find the exact picture but my mate's kid got a batman bike like this for his birthday couple of years ago:

I should technically be an adult but I was still really impressed :D

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1163 on: 30 January, 2012, 08:59:17 pm »
Just around the corner from home: an Asian man on a BSO with an occupied child seat on the back.  It was the occupied child seat which made the sight interesting and unusual.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1164 on: 30 January, 2012, 09:20:38 pm »
Near Kennington, I rode up behind a very yellow bike with an integrated welded rear rack.  I wondered if it were a kind of loadbike, but it turned out to be shorter than the Yuba/Ute/Big Dummy bikes.  As I pulled alongside, I saw it was rather like this, a French postie's bike.

Long way to come to do a delivery ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1165 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:34:05 am »
french letters  :o ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #1166 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:54:17 am »
.....   a French postie's bike.

There's a shop in Kingston that sells them , and other old imported French stuff.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1167 on: 31 January, 2012, 10:34:38 am »
Oh that'd be worth a geg. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #1168 on: 04 February, 2012, 06:26:37 pm »

Was at The School Run Centre getting our trike (the orange one with a black hood on the right) serviced when I spotted this yellow contraption. It's a clog bike. Apparently it's a no-cost factory option for the Bakfiets.nl cargobike long. Took it for a spin - much lighter than the wooden box. However, as yet, no screen or hood. Makes it a non-starter until then, for my money. However, if you like a bit of attention, it's just the ticket. A spin along Mill Road got lots of comments.

« Reply #1169 on: 08 February, 2012, 11:45:39 am »

Defietsfabriek 995. Were only a couple in the country when we got ours. I've now spotted two more. This one is a Mk1, and they've fitted a Bakfiets.nl hood, which fits well and is a massive improvement on the crappy one DeFietsfabriek sell. Wish I'd thought of that when we had ours. Cracking bike. Very relaxed ride, and wonderfully put together. I still miss our (which went to London, and is now back in Cambridge, still sporting the reflective tabs we added).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1170 on: 08 February, 2012, 12:33:40 pm »
On the commute today, I was pleased to see a Claud Butler and a Carlton in Kennington (or thereabouts), as well as a very smart newer bike with a blue & silver paintscheme and lightly purple anodised rims in Streatham.  Sadly, as I was passing by, and the owner was waiting to cross the road, I didn't get a good enough look to determine maks.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1171 on: 17 February, 2012, 05:27:48 pm »
About half an hour ago, a recumbent with red disc wheels going up Cotham Brow.

« Reply #1172 on: 18 February, 2012, 07:51:25 pm »
Right how to describe this. (I wish I had had a camera with me but sods law prevails.) large white van in traffic jam. Mounted vertically at rear is a trike (sort of). The trike has handlebars, MTB type brake levers and a triangular large frame supporting a fabric seating arrangement I think stretched across the frame. This was at least five times larger than a normal 'seat' surface area. Around the perimeter of the 'bike' is a rail which is a bit a like a bumper car protector. All the wheels and 'bike' are within this boundary. To the rear and underside of the large triangular 'seating' area are two metal pads which appear to be for standing on. I have no idea what this BSO is for, but it sure looked interesting. If only I had my phone with me........
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1173 on: 18 February, 2012, 08:08:54 pm »
I'd guess at it being a Siberian dog rig.

I remember we saw some on someones driveway on a WARTY ride, and got invited to see the dogs.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1174 on: 18 February, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »
looked somewhat similar WJ. I think you have solved a mystery once again.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain