Author Topic: Lighter wheels  (Read 2128 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Lighter wheels
« on: 09 July, 2017, 12:34:47 am »

My current set of wheels are Ryde (Rigida when I bought them...) DP18 rims, built onto Shimano M525 disk hubs. These are fine upto the 28mm tyres I've got on them currently (tho Ryde claim max 25!). But in winter I want to ride something a bit wider tyre wise. The frame has clearance upto 60mm, so I'm wondering about building a set of wheels that will take anything from a 28 to 60mm tyre, 622 rim, with a Shimano DH-T8000 32H dyno hub on for the front. What I can't work out is what rear hub and what rims to use. Ideally I want to try and get the wheel set as close to 2kg as I can (without disks and tyres/tubes). Down from my 3+kg that the current set are.

So, Can anyone recommend some light and strong rims, and any suggestions on which 125mm rear hub to go with? (10 speed only, doesn't need to be 11 speed compatible).

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Lighter wheels
« Reply #1 on: 09 July, 2017, 08:46:22 am »
I would have thought that the M525 would be pretty good, when balanced against weight/reliability/cost etc?
As for rims, Velocity do some very nice disc specific ones. I think the Cliffhanger seems to be doing the rounds on the interwebs at the moment. Maybe Halo White Line for a tighter budget?

« Reply #2 on: 09 July, 2017, 09:09:36 am »
Pacenti tl28 from Planet X would seem to fit the bill,  but they seem to have run out of 32 hole 622 rims. They do have dl31 - 26mm internal and slightly heavier - for 40 each. Or slightly narrower at 20mm internal the cl25 is a nice light rim that I've used with tyres up to 2.2 inch (mtb)

These are all currently in the 40 to 45 range. They were very briefly cheaper, but have stuck at current for a while now.

Mike

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2017, 11:26:17 am »
I would have thought that the M525 would be pretty good, when balanced against weight/reliability/cost etc?
As for rims, Velocity do some very nice disc specific ones. I think the Cliffhanger seems to be doing the rounds on the interwebs at the moment. Maybe Halo White Line for a tighter budget?

Well the FH-M525 that I have is 440g Which isn't the lightest out there. The FH-M8000 is 328, the M785 is 335g. So newer stuff seems like it may shed 100g or so off the weight of the rear wheel.

Cliff hanger is 625g per rim, which is quite heavy, also seems to only go upto 40mm tyre width.  The aileron goes upto 47mm, and is just 465g. I haven't worked out where I can buy them that delivers to .nl affordably.

Pacenti tl28 from Planet X would seem to fit the bill,  but they seem to have run out of 32 hole 622 rims. They do have dl31 - 26mm internal and slightly heavier - for 40 each. Or slightly narrower at 20mm internal the cl25 is a nice light rim that I've used with tyres up to 2.2 inch (mtb)

These are all currently in the 40 to 45 range. They were very briefly cheaper, but have stuck at current for a while now.

The cl25 looks rather nice. As does the tl28 if they ever get it back in stock. I can't see anywhere obvious where it says what tyre sizes work well with either rim. Would they be ok with a 28mm or a 50mm?

Cheers

J
--

« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2017, 03:15:27 pm »

Well the FH-M525 that I have is 440g Which isn't the lightest out there. The FH-M8000 is 328, the M785 is 335g. So newer stuff seems like it may shed 100g or so off the weight of the rear wheel.

Cliff hanger is 625g per rim, which is quite heavy, also seems to only go upto 40mm tyre width.  The aileron goes upto 47mm, and is just 465g. I haven't worked out where I can buy them that delivers to .nl affordably.

The cl25 looks rather nice. As does the tl28 if they ever get it back in stock. I can't see anywhere obvious where it says what tyre sizes work well with either rim. Would they be ok with a 28mm or a 50mm?

Cheers

J

Either will work fine from 28 to 50 tyres. Their discontinued I think, so don't expect 32 hole tl28s to return. Given that I think the dl31s are a bit too wide for 28s, I'd stick with cl25s and enjoy. They're a good rim.

For hubs you could also look at Novatec d712 (I think) - try Malcom at Cycle Clinic. To save a bit more weight, use sapim d-light spokes as well.

Mike

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2017, 04:55:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I decided that at 19.99 each, I'll just order a pair of each. Always useful to have spare rims Knockin about...

Thanks all

J
--

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:47:52 pm »
there is a fundamental problem in that most lighter weight hubs than the basic shimano ones have various problems eg

- lighter weight Shimano (with fatter axles) = self destructing freehub body risk (ongoing in MTB and touring models), less strong hub bearings too
- Hope (and many others with shells machined from 2xxx or 7xxx bar stock) = vulnerable to cracking in winter road use because of road salt
- Novatec/Ambrosio = poor quality bearings and aluminium freehub bodies that wear prematurely (although they do some models that partially address these things)

Given that hubs are more like dead weight than rotating weight, and dead weight is not that big a deal anyway, if you prize reliability there is something to be said for sticking with the basic shimano model hub.

Re rims; H plus Son archetype are worth a look. They are 490g rather than 470g as claimed and they usually wear out before they find some other way to break.  One of my chums rides these rims year round on 37mm contis and it seems like a good setup.

cheers

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2019, 11:49:41 am »
Thanks for the advice. I decided that at 19.99 each, I'll just order a pair of each. Always useful to have spare rims Knockin about...

Thanks all

J

In the last 24 hours I've had to write off both TL28 and Sl25 rear wheels, both rims have split. Am replying here (found this thread again via google search about the DP18 rim mentioned in the first post...) to warn anyone else who is thinking of buying these rims, They are not as durable as one might like... Both front wheels are fine, the rears, knackered.

J
--

« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2019, 12:59:28 pm »
a common reason why rear rims crack is that the wheelbuilder has exceeded the tension limit of the rim on the DS spokes.  It is easily done; years ago it was virtually impossible because the wheel would self-pretzel (suffer Euler buckling) if the tension was too high. With modern box section rims this doesn't happen, so many rims are built with excessive tension.

If you are concerned this might have happened have someone measure the spoke tension in the failed wheels before they are taken apart. The other thing (apart from the rims just being designed badly) is that winter road salt helps cracks on their way; wheels that are to see winter/seaside use are better corrosion proofed. I use molten waxoyl around every spoke eyelet.

FWIW there is something to be said for using an offset rear rim if you are worried about cracking.  Also since the rear wheel sees a lot more load than the front rim, it makes no sense whatsoever to have both the same weight/strength.

cheers