Author Topic: Aluminium seatpost seems stuck in steel seat tube - any suggestions for removal?  (Read 9455 times)

My seatpost is still stuck on my Hewitt, the problem is getting the bike to someone who can remove it, I live in Oxford, and have no car, so I'd probably have to package it up to be couriered
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

When putting (loads of) copperslip on seatposts (before fitting/refitting) take care to remove the surplus that will slip up around the exposed bit of post. Otherwise when handling the bike you can end up with strange brownish/yellow stains on the sleeves of your jersey/jacket. And they don't come out! DAHIKT

It's a while since I visited the forum.
Oxford Guy: next time I'm in Oxford visiting the rels I'll message you and bring the extractor down.
I'm most amused by the precision engineer comment (but thanks  :)), more a messing about making stuff as a hobby fabricator  ;): https://simpsonframeworks.wixsite.com/simpsonframeworks & general bodger: https://www.instagram.com/identicalbutlighter/?hl=en

It's a while since I visited the forum.
Oxford Guy: next time I'm in Oxford visiting the rels I'll message you and bring the extractor down.

That would be amazing, thanks! The bike is ride-able as is, but the saddle is a bit too low, so would be nice to be able to set it at a more optimum height. BTW I don't care if the seatpost itself isn't usable after removal, it was a cheapo one.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
What saddle are you using?  A Brooks is 1" higher than most plastic saddles.  I can tell if my saddle is a mere 5mm off correct height* but it just might work.

*this sounds ridiculous but most cyclists who ride regularly will feel if it's not right - and you have to correct for crank length too, if different bikes have different length cranks.  For instance, I have saddle height of 30.25" with 170mm cranks but I increase that by 5mm (to almost 30.5") for 165mm cranks so the leg extension at the bottom of the stroke is identical.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

What saddle are you using?  A Brooks is 1" higher than most plastic saddles.  I can tell if my saddle is a mere 5mm off correct height* but it just might work.

*this sounds ridiculous but most cyclists who ride regularly will feel if it's not right - and you have to correct for crank length too, if different bikes have different length cranks.  For instance, I have saddle height of 30.25" with 170mm cranks but I increase that by 5mm (to almost 30.5") for 165mm cranks so the leg extension at the bottom of the stroke is identical.

Gilles Berthoud Aravis, so it's higher than most plastic saddles, but not quite as high as a Brooks. It's very, very comfortable for my derrière, far more than the Brooks Imperial I was using previously before it got stolen - in fact this is why the seatpost is stuck, as the thieves stole the saddle still attached to the original seatpost and I didn't grease the replacement properly <facepalm>