Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3021229 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #22275 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:27:25 pm »
made my first post on faceache for over a year today.

Bad luck.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #22276 on: 27 February, 2018, 05:35:08 pm »
Do not tumble dry this house?

Or as Michelle Shocked said 'get your pussy here' in hobo code
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22277 on: 28 February, 2018, 09:45:07 am »
Nice surprises today.

- an ex-demo B2C coffee machine I had ordered half-price turned out to have never been used - still had all the protective film in place and not a scratch on it. Manufacturing stamps from last July.  The model is still current - just the carton is a bit abraded.  I reckon they must have dropped the used one between the showroom and the packing station.

- after making a nice profit on organizing cycling holidays last year, the club is giving us all a buckshee spring jacket.

Chuffed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
I made1 it into the office today, but I'm not really sure why I bothered. About half the people who are usually here, though I rarely interact with any of them in any meaningful work related way.
My feet are cold and the last job I did at home before leaving was light a fire for SWMBO who is working form home today.

1. Not really very heroic or noteworthy because the only SNO on the road between home and work was on our road and my little 4WD car verily skipped over that. In fact due to the reduced traffic I was at work in a shorter time than usual.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Received a text message from Orange to warn me about the dangers of distraction when driving.

Er...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
The nice man on Her Majesty's Home Service was saying today is the first day of spring and look at all the SNO. Shirley the first day of spring is March 21st-ish (consulting the family pagan confirms this). Today is just the first day of march.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
The nice man on Her Majesty's Home Service was saying today is the first day of spring and look at all the SNO. Shirley the first day of spring is March 21st-ish (consulting the family pagan confirms this). Today is just the first day of march.

I think meteorologically, it's a 1st March-31st May deal for spring, June/July/August being summer etc
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!

Yes, I heard that too.  I've heard weather presenters use the term "meteorological 1st day of season" for a couple of years now and they're always careful to stress the word meteorological.  And we know what they mean.

This morning was a journo/presenter being economical with the facts as it made his story sound better.  The twat.

BTW be careful saying that today is just the first day of March if there are any Welshians around.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Nice weather lady on the distascope just now said that as far as the Met Office is concerned today is indeed the first day of spring, no matter what celestial bodies are up to.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Guy

• Retired
The Snow Demons have achieved the impossible. They've made the traffic on Ampthill Road slow down!!!11!!one!!1  This phenomenomenomenon only normally happens at skool-run time when the road is 1/2 blocked with abandoned 4-wheel-drive-shopping-trolleys*

*and not always then
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Nice weather lady on the distascope just now said that as far as the Met Office is concerned today is indeed the first day of spring, no matter what celestial bodies are up to.

IIRC the solstices and equinoxes are considered to be the mid-points of their respective seasons. C.f midwinter & midsummer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Do you get confused about lux and lumens? Halfords do!

(The question asks "What are lumens?" but the explanation in the light bulbs uses lux.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
That's... incredibly misleading, if not outright wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Why can't they use candlepower like civilized people?

In passing, I note that 1 candlepower = 0.981 candelas.  That's about a tenth of the acceleration due to gravity, which is why dynamo lights get brighter when you're going downhill. ;D

ElyDave

In passing, I note that 1 candlepower = 0.981 candelas.  That's about a tenth of the acceleration due to gravity, which is why dynamo lights get brighter when you're going downhill. ;D

Well, light is a particle, so that stands to reason, chuck em downhill and they must go faster  :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

IIRC the solstices and equinoxes are considered to be the mid-points of their respective seasons. C.f midwinter & midsummer.

I read somewhere* that 'mid' in those examples means 'with' not 'middle', which sounds plausible, especially if you take 1st December to be the start of meteorological winter.

Etymologically the same as in 'midwife' ('with woman') which is why a male midwife is not a midhusband.

*yes, I know - citation needed
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

That's certainly an interesting approach to an infographic.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...

I thought it was because as I travel faster I catch up with the photons, de-facto concentrating them/squashing them together to provide a more powerful illumination relative to where I am at the time they do the illuminating (as against when the photons were released)...

By the same token, the faster I go, the younger I become. Unfortunately this is offset by riding further, which has a much stronger aging effect. :)

Next up: How Audax and the Space/Time Continum, i.e., How carrying a Brevet warps space-time, so it's always further/takes longer then you think....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Ah, is it the brevet warping space-time that causes gravitational effects, such at downhill always being the wrong direction at a given junction?

clarion

• Tyke

I thought it was because as I travel faster I catch up with the photons, de-facto concentrating them/squashing them together to provide a more powerful illumination relative to where I am at the time they do the illuminating (as against when the photons were released)...

By the same token, the faster I go, the younger I become. Unfortunately this is offset by riding further, which has a much stronger aging effect. :)

Next up: How Audax and the Space/Time Continum, i.e., How carrying a Brevet warps space-time, so it's always further/takes longer then you think....

Don't be silly!  As you speed up, it changes not the concentration but the wavelength of your light, so you can measure your speed by the colour.
Getting there...

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
If you go too fast it changes from redshift to brownshift.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Beardy

• Shedist
I’m surprised that no one has ElyDave on his assertion that wave is a partical. I could have accepted light is ALSO a partical, but to state light IS a partical is quite patently wrong. 
Thank you.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

To be pedantic, light is neither particle nor wave.

ElyDave

I’m surprised that no one has ElyDave on his assertion that wave is a partical. I could have accepted light is ALSO a partical, but to state light IS a partical is quite patently wrong. 
Thank you.

I didn't say light isn't a wave