Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3001272 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I was on top of the World Trade Center just four months before it came it down, so I had a lucky escape.

You must have been at the top while I was at the bottom looking up thinking "that's a big fucking building"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

I was on top of the World Trade Center just four months before it came it down, so I had a lucky escape.

You must have been at the top while I was at the bottom looking up thinking "that's a big fucking building"

It was impressively big and the view tremendous. I went up quite a few times in my role as resident alien tour guide. September 11th was probably the most shocking day of my life.

But yes, had I not been in another country several thousand miles away, it could have been me up there.

ElyDave

I was there in the May, on a tour of Canada with a pass through new York on the way to see friends in new jersey.

When they came down, I was in an evening class. One of the tutors went to look something up and came back reporting that he couldn't get on the internet, something about a plane in new York. It was quite unbelievable at the time.

Beardy

• Shedist
I was working in Amsterdam at the time, and that week happened to be staying in a hotel in the center of the city. There were a lot of aircrews who, having been grounded, didn’t know what to do with themselves. Because work had effectively stopped at about 2 in the afternoon, a few of use went back to the hotel about 4ish and started drinking. It was a surreal evening with a lot of angry, upset and worried American aircrews around us. Not something I’d like to repeat anytime ever.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
My wife and I and our youngest daughter (then about 18) went into the WTC lobby exactly a week before it came down.  We were meeting our elder daughter who was at Uni in Oregon at the time.  Decided not to go up on cost grounds - now wished we had of course.  Saw lots of the office workers going up and down the lobby escalators - some of whom presumably only had a few days to live.

Was in San Francisco, just north of the Golden Gate bridge, a week later. That morning we were woken up by someone starting a big truck outside our motel window, which was left running, it seemed for ages.  Put on the TV and saw the pictures.  Then understood why the truck seemed to have been abandoned.  All a bit unreal.  Was able to cross the bridge to our pre-booked downtown hotel - myriads of people trying to get a room, to no avail. At the time they were anticipating closing the bridge as they didn't know if there were more hijacked planes in the air.

Wandered into town.  The city was deserted - litter blowing in the streets around the TransAmerica building - just like one of those post-apocalyptic films.  Did the sights we planned to but it was all very surreal.  Not helped by the fact that we rang home to let MiL  (who was dog-sitting for us) know that we were OK, but no one answered.  Turned out that our dog had died on 9/11 and she'd gone back to her home.

Eventually was able to fly back to NY a week later, once flights had resumed.  Flew over the WTC site, still plume of smoke arising high into the sky. 

That was a very strange trip. We have photo of daughter #2 in front of WTC, a week before 9/11.

Does going over that bridge in Genoa a couple of times in 2005 qualify me for the lucky escape club?

Should I phone the BBC to tell them about my brush with death?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

T42

• Apprentice geezer
A son of friends of ours was in his office a couple of streets away when the WTC came down. It took him a long time to get over it.

Meanwhile, the prez of a truckers' union in the Alpes Maritimes was talking on the radio this morning about alternative routes from Italy to the south of France and thence to Spain & Portugal. The two main alternatives will take two hours and five hours longer respectively, meaning that scheduling will go to hell as drivers' daily hours-worked limits come into play.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
You think these are near misses, I've driven cars around Birmingham!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
There are ferries from Genoa to Barcelona.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I should think they're already taken into account.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I should think they're already fully booked!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Even before the collapse.  If the rates are anything like those on SNCM ferries to Corsica, going round by the road would be cheaper.

Meanwhile, the folk next door are demolishing their barn which, in true Alsacien style, is about a metre from our house wall.  The rumbles as they bring down the big chunks are quite disturbing.  They put cables round the beams to pull them inwards, but a while back an L-shaped chunk swivelled and crunched down on our side. No damage, and we've fenced off the danger area to keep the dogs out.

ElyDave

I've just finished my tax return for 2018, a whole 4 months earlier than I usually manage it.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
I've just finished my tax return for 2018, a whole 4 months earlier than I usually manage it.

Don't give 'em any of it back! Offer them returns only on Faulty goods.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Just Whatsapped by my son who has discovered that the campsite he is staying at has it's own bar. Complete with 70 different whiskys.
That's going to hurt in the morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Just Whatsapped by my son who has discovered that the campsite he is staying at has it's own bar. Complete with 70 different whiskys.
Is it the Brotherswater Inn at Sykeside Camposite, Patterdale?  I had a splendid night there once, followed by a horrible morning.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

That sounds like somewhere for a forum (lost) camping weekend, where is it ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Help me!
Disserth.  Near Builth Wells and Llandrindod Wells.
Not sure what the actual campsite itself is like other than the bar.

essexian

One of my major fears is that the end of the World will happen when I am on the loo…. I thought it had yesterday evening when CBH screamed…something she never does… and there was an extremely loud rumbling and shaking.

Rushing to pull up my pants I headed for the door expecting to see the 2 Horsemen of the Apocalypse (cut backs eh) instead I saw 2 chinooks flying no more than 200 foot* above the house heading west towards (we assume) either RAF Cosford or Shawbury.

Blimey, they were low. Indeed, IMHO far too low for flying over populated area.

*It could have been more, or less as its difficult to estimate but they were out of sight by the end of the street which is only 30 houses long.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
….. heading west towards (we assume) either RAF Cosford or Shawbury.   Blimey, they were low. Indeed, IMHO far too low for flying over populated area.

On occasion, we get the Shawbury Squirrels flying below rooftop height past my house!  They cut across the field behind us, at treetop height, then drop down the hill a bit and pass below the rooftop height of next door! Fortunately, the guys on the stick are all qualified heli pilots, doing their heli instructors course.  So they do know what they are doing.  But it makes for spectacular flying!

We have had Chinooks flying along the Dee valley to the west of us, well below our house height - and one day the BoB Lancaster.

Fortunately, the holiday buses out of Manchester tend to be at about 13,000ft when they pass over.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Chum of mine lives close to one of the Army's favourite helico playgrounds and gets subjected to this sort of thing a couple of times a week:

https://youtu.be/Vl6-00wJrzA

Sorry re crappy video: January light, small cam, etc.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Chum of mine lives close to one of the Army's favourite helico playgrounds and gets subjected to this sort of thing a couple of times a week:

https://youtu.be/Vl6-00wJrzA

Sorry re crappy video: January light, small cam, etc.

Ours are not quite as lively.  They tend to sneak around hiding behind trees, then dash at high speed to the next tree.  I think they are playing hide and seek on radar.

Basil

• Help me!
I have just received a notification that the Sheila Maid, which I assembled and fitted over two hours ago, has now been delivered.  ::-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Is that some kind of domestic robot from Captain Cook's Mistake?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime