Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512305 times)

Aldi sell dried peanut butter in jars. ::-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
WTF is dried peanut butter? And what are you supposed to do with it, add your own oil?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
No idea.
Just added up protein + carb + fat + fibre + salt content for peanut butter we get and got 97.5g/100g so water cont might be 2.5%.

Which is not a lot...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Tostada before & after assembly. Batteries not included.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
WTF is dried peanut butter? And what are you supposed to do with it, add your own oil?
Presumably this. Maybe.
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/859bm6/aldi_powered_peanut_butter_review/
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

https://twitter.com/leewayfranks/status/1027922365446086656

Judging by the replies, it seems to have sparked a bit of a debate.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Crispy bacon inna-USAnia-stylee is a Jbex of Stan.

That is all.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

Apparently gay mayonnaise is a thing. Or rather, it's an anti-thing, because gays are out to destroy mayonnaise. Apparently. Reportedly so it is claimed it is being said it has been heard that there is word to the effect of.
And it’s not just the migrants attacking America’s good, old-fashioned nutritional values; the gays are also at it. One of the top items on the Gay Agenda (US edition) is the complete elimination of mayonnaise from the American diet. We have come for your wedding cakes and now we are intent on queering your condiments.
It was in the Graudiana, so it must be true. no mayo for gays! I think we need statements from our quiltbagger (not wowbagger!) forumites about their views on mayonnaise. Or maybe we don't.

ian

I'm straight and I mostly don't like mayonnaise. Definitely not larupped on sandwiches so it swishes out on your fingers like a gallon of an overstimulated devil's love gravy when you try to bite into it. People do look at you strange when you ask for no mayonnaise on a sandwich. Once someone asked me are you sure? Erm, yes. I don't mind a bit in salad dressing, but I dilute it with yoghurt 3-to-1.

That said, my capacity for salad cream (aka mayonnaise for grownups) is undiminished.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Mayo schmayo. Aioli for is for REAL Men.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I'm straight and have grown up on mayonnaise, initially mainly home-made (it was one of the first things I learned to make), though I preferred my paternal grandmother's Hellmann's.

I have always liked the stuff. I use it as a butter substitute - it's always spreadable.

There is an 800g jar of Hellmann's in my fridge...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'm bi and I tend to regard mayonnaise as an unpleasant white gloop that sometimes gets in your mouth by accident, and is best avoided on account of being a potential vector for nasty diseases...

I'm straight, and mayonnaise is foul stuff. :sick:

I like dried peanut butter though!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Mayonnaise and other similar concoctions are the semen of Satan.

But I didn’t come here to discuss unpalatable condiments.

Can anyone recommend a good lunch venue in Hebden Bridge please? My dear wife and I are planning to meet her sister there.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

I'm straight, and mayonnaise is foul stuff. :sick:

I like dried peanut butter though!
What is this dried peanut butter? I've googled it and all I've found is "powdered peanut butter". Is that the same thing?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Mayonnaise and other similar concoctions are the semen of Satan.

But I didn’t come here to discuss unpalatable condiments.

Can anyone recommend a good lunch venue in Hebden Bridge please? My dear wife and I are planning to meet her sister there.

We spent the day inhabiting tea rooms. The centre of Hebden Bridge has more eateries than anywhere else I can think of. We had lunch in the Bicycle hire café by the canal. I had something Palestinian and vegan - the Ramallah something or other with olives, sun-dried tomatoes, hummus and pita bread.

A good day’s nattering, and the bus ride over from Oxenhope was the most spectacular I have been on since going from Chiavenna to St. Moritz.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

This couldn't go into the "what I have learned today" as I learned it a little while ago. That is, letting me loose is an average Swiss supermarket is like letting a kid loose in a chocolate shop. Actually, that is literally what it is. And for those of you who think, yeah, but so what is so great about Swiss chocolate anyway, what's so special about Toblerone? I have just one word. Kirschstängeli.

Another learning episode. Involving a restaurant, gherkin soup with gherkin sorbet and gherkin crisps, with added cucumber and .... Gherkin. I think my life has reached its culinary apogee

Cudzoziemiec

I do like the sound of gherkin crisps. Google shows me packets from Romania, Ukraine and the Far East. And I've just remembered I have a £5 voucher for the Eastern European shop up the road, expiring tomorrow; I think it's mainly Lithuanian but it's worth a look...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
When I poured milk into my tea this morning it came out all knobbly. :sick:

For anyone interested, this was the restaurant https://www.huusbeiz.ch/ - the menu (as previously noted in Sweitzerdeutch and German only) is here https://www.huusbeiz.ch/storage/15/180803_Abendkarte.pdf

I was quite pleased with myself for managing a reasonable simulacrum of understanding of the German, it helps that there's no flights of culinary fancy, all very very Swiss, it tells you what you are getting. Cost was 90CHF (70GBP) which - while it sounds a lot is really not unreasonable for Zurich (where a very average meal will cost you 40GBP). For a second course I had the "Gerollte Maultasche von der Milchkuh, Mark und Kuhfilet mit Wurzelgemüse und klare Fleischbrühe" which I translated as a sort-of dumpling with meat, summat unknown and fillet steak with root veg (turned out they were thin slices stamped into flower shapes) and clarified stock. The slices of filet were cooked in your plate by the addition of the hot stock. It was divine, if not as unusual as my starter.

Cudzoziemiec

They didn't have gherkin crisps. What's more, when I got to the till, they refused to sell me the yogurt I'd put in my basket, because it was one day out of date. And worst of all, they had no zsiadłe mleko (curds, roughly speaking).

My colleague came back from his Balinese honeymoon with durian nougat sweets.  Yuk, yuk and thrice yuk.  :sick:

ian

I gave my wife some durian a few weeks back. She's just about talking to me again. It could be worse, the actual flesh looks like and has the texture of an hippopotamus bogie.