Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627390 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4325 on: 08 January, 2014, 09:34:13 pm »
Printer: yes, I know that you are out of cyan, magenta and yellow ink, but seeing as I have instructed you to print in black ink only, why are you being a dick and churning out blank pages? Fucker.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4326 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:21:04 pm »
Printer: yes, I know that you are out of cyan, magenta and yellow ink, but seeing as I have instructed you to print in black ink only, why are you being a dick and churning out blank pages? Fucker.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers refers

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4327 on: 09 January, 2014, 07:14:53 am »
I still haven't checked the bike for damage...
If the bike's damaged I shall personally hunt down and kill the perpetrator - that thing's a work of pipe-welding art.

You will have to join the queue, I am afraid...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #4328 on: 09 January, 2014, 07:50:19 am »
Dear The Bastard Broadcasting Company.

There was a time (recently) when I could look forward to being able to sit and read on a Wednesday evening without the soul destroying annoyance of Eastenders wittering away in the background as SWMBO lets herself down by watching :sick:

What is all this bollocks of 5 days a week Eastenders? Is this a permanant move?

Bastards  >:(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4329 on: 09 January, 2014, 08:16:27 am »
When I finally manage to escape this place (which may be in May, may be next year, may be sooner) I will dance a little happy dance.

Why?

Because I won't have to deal with the A14 for a while (not until the next contract that brings me to the flatlands).

I am sat at my desk, looking over said road and, once again, the traffic is queued due to an accident (just seen a fleet of polis cars go past and an ambulance)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4330 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:49:45 pm »
Trying to help a couple of people who got tablet computers for Christmas.  Didn't come with printed manuals.  The manuals are on the tablets.  The owners need the manual to know how to use the manual!

(Found user guides on the internet via laptop in the end).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4331 on: 09 January, 2014, 07:04:47 pm »
Trying to help a couple of people who got tablet computers for Christmas.  Didn't come with printed manuals.  The manuals are on the tablets.  The owners need the manual to know how to use the manual!

Did they not come with a sheet of paper explaining how to bootstrap the process?

"Insert SIM like [image] [image] [image].  Plug it in for a few hours [image], press the on switch [image], follow the on-screen instructions.  To get at the PDF manual in a dozen different languages, click on the icon that looks like [image] that should appear on the home screen." sort of thing?  Bit stupid if it doesn't.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4332 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:01:00 pm »
They said they came with no instructions at all.  I wasn't at their homes to check their bins.

I started to get the hang of the tablets myself, but only had a limited time.  One Kindle Fire HD and one Samsung Something.

essexian

« Reply #4333 on: 10 January, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »
My family name isn't difficult: hell its only 5 letters long. So how comes, local council, you managed to spell it incorrectly and differently three times in the same letter?!  :facepalm:

Can't say I am impressed as none of your attempts came close!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4334 on: 10 January, 2014, 01:46:51 pm »
Two nights of bad sleep and I'm a wreck - a major downside of the meds I'm about to try stopping is I cannot manage on lack of sleep. 

So when I booked a taxi to get me into work (it was that or email in sick) I got hung up on twice cos the idiots have forgotten how to use TextRelay.  One grink duly dispatched!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4335 on: 10 January, 2014, 02:21:16 pm »
Affinity Water are trying to sell me Water Supply Pipe Cover insurance. It costs £12 for the first year and you conveniently (for them) sign a Direct Debit to pay for this.
I can see no indication on the paperwork as to what would be charged next year, apart from some waffly wording.

We Are Not Amused

« Reply #4336 on: 10 January, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »
They said they came with no instructions at all.  I wasn't at their homes to check their bins.

I started to get the hang of the tablets myself, but only had a limited time.  One Kindle Fire HD and one Samsung Something.
Isn't this webby thing that we're using to communicate handy for this sort of instructiony stuff?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4337 on: 10 January, 2014, 07:33:29 pm »
Isn't this webby thing that we're using to communicate handy for this sort of instructiony stuff?

The users need the manual to get on the web to get the manual!  (Don't assume they already have another computer, let alone one they know how to use well enough).  Thousands or millions of parents and grandparents with limited tech-know were given tablets this Christmas.  Look out for jumble sale bargains in the Spring.  :demon:

« Reply #4338 on: 11 January, 2014, 07:16:16 pm »
Went out for a 3 hour ride this morning. Was awful. Slow, dead legs, awful. Plus so many roads round here are shut as the Thames is all over them.

Now I think the reason it was so bad is because in a 2 hour period I've gone from fine to impending girlflu and can't really move.

(Although I don't think my new tyres helped much, swapped Schwalbe ultremos for some bontrager puncture proof winter ones. They felt like I was riding a tractor- can tyres make that much difference?)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4339 on: 12 January, 2014, 04:37:45 am »
New Brooks Blues :(

That is all.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #4340 on: 12 January, 2014, 09:57:38 pm »

The users need the manual to get on the web to get the manual!  (Don't assume they already have another computer, let alone one they know how to use well enough).  Thousands or millions of parents and grandparents with limited tech-know were given tablets this Christmas.  Look out for jumble sale bargains in the Spring.  :demon:
Ooooh, goody goody goody! Mrs B would probably rather like a tablet.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fuzzy

« Reply #4341 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:02:17 am »
(Although I don't think my new tyres helped much, swapped Schwalbe ultremos for some bontrager puncture proof winter ones. They felt like I was riding a tractor- can tyres make that much difference?)

Did you pump them up?

;)

« Reply #4342 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:13:59 am »
A chunk of filling has dropped out of a back molar leaving a nasty jagged hole.   Dentist can't give me an appointment until next Tuesday   :(        Luckily it's not hurting.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4343 on: 13 January, 2014, 03:54:23 pm »
Thousands or millions of parents and grandparents with limited tech-know were given tablets this Christmas.  Look out for jumble sale bargains in the Spring.  :demon:

They'll probaby have tea-cup marks on them.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4344 on: 13 January, 2014, 05:39:02 pm »
Kidney stones. 'Nuff said  :(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4345 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:48:40 pm »
Ouch! I hear those are NASTY.  Get well soon and hope the pain stops soonest.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4346 on: 13 January, 2014, 06:56:28 pm »
Ouch! I hear those are NASTY.  Get well soon and hope the pain stops soonest.
Whilst I'm not peeing lumps just yet, it is bloody uncomfortable and the earliest I can see the doctor is Wednesday  ::-)

Apparently diabetics are more prone to kidney stones on account of their urine being slightly more acidic than normal (for a given value of 'normal') which in turn is more conducive to the formation of uric acid-based stones.

Interim advice is 'pee through a tea strainer and see if you can catch one'

Which is nice(!)

« Reply #4347 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:30:29 pm »
Is catching them useful in itself or is it more that if you catch one you know it's not inside you anymore?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #4348 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:40:26 pm »
Bugger! BBC iPlayer will not stream over a 3G connection. I had an hour to spare to catch up on The Bridge, seeing as I only recorded the last 24 mins for some unknown reason. Now I shall YACF to my heart's content.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4349 on: 13 January, 2014, 07:42:43 pm »
Is catching them useful in itself or is it more that if you catch one you know it's not inside you anymore?
Apparently, if I catch one it can be sent off for analysis to see what type of stone it is (uric acid, oxalate, something else etc.etc.) - presumably this will have some bearing on the course of any treatment.