Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626940 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7225 on: 07 January, 2016, 08:07:48 pm »
OK, so a couple of points...

1) When pumping up expansion vessels, you can't just 'have at it' straight away.
You need to have the water side open, so that the bladder can push the water out and expand to the full volume of the vessel at the desired pressure.
It's not just about pressure, it's also about volume.
If the expansion volume is lost, then the vessel is mostly full of water.
If the system remains sealed, then you are pumping up a tiny air volume which is no good.
So you need to shut off the cold supply, and open a hot tap.
Wait for the tap to stop running ( ie the expansion vessel has expended itself ).
Then, as you pump up the air-side, the water in the vessel is expelled via the open hot tap.
This will take more strokes of the pump than if you left the system sealed when inflating it.
Once the bladder is up to pressure with the water-side open, close the hot tap and then open the cold feed.
There will be a short hiss of water as the water side re-pressurises.

2) Cheap PRVs will often fail to seal after they have lifted a few times.

I suspect if you re-inflate the expansion volume as I described in (1), you might be good to go.

« Reply #7226 on: 07 January, 2016, 08:18:37 pm »
 :facepalm: true, I need to open the circuit to let the air in, the water should stop coming from the tap once the whole vessel is empty and then the vessel expansion vessel will pump full.

You can tell I am only a design engineer (chemical - so PRVs and Expansion vessels are familiar concepts) rather than a commissioning or maintenance engineer.

eta, that took a lot more pumping in an awkward location, expansion vessel now feels much lighter, unfortunately cheap relief valve still leaking so at the least I need to take the cartridge out and check the seat and seal.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7227 on: 08 January, 2016, 03:29:27 pm »
Trainline, thank you for the email informing me of disruptions to my upcoming journey due to the closure of part of the WCML.  That will be the closure announced on 4th January, four days ago, of which you are only now informing me.  I can cancel my journey, you say?

I had planned to go to Glasgow for the day this coming Sunday...
BN: No trains running between Carlisle and Glasgow until February; not possible to arrive in time for plans via replacement service or alternative routes.
GN: Tickets cancelled and full refund obtained.

BTDTBTTS.  You bring to mind the American phrase "Day late and a dollar short."  Try a bit harder next time, OK?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7228 on: 08 January, 2016, 07:20:40 pm »
Family, when you suggest meeting me and Brompton, to combine shopping with saving me some time, and you phone and ask when I will be at shops, please be at shops and not at home when I phonr, having arrived at shops at exactly the time estimated. You have extended my commute home, not shortened it.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #7229 on: 10 January, 2016, 03:45:57 pm »
Canti brakes.... ::-)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #7230 on: 10 January, 2016, 05:04:37 pm »
Complete the following phrase or saying:

It is with considerable inevitability that the ______ in chez Tween should choose the eve of the coldest week of the winter so far to ____ __  :(
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7231 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:24:11 pm »
Canti brakes.... ::-)

Spawn of Stan . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7232 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:04:16 pm »
:facepalm: true, I need to open the circuit to let the air in, the water should stop coming from the tap once the whole vessel is empty and then the vessel expansion vessel will pump full.

You can tell I am only a design engineer (chemical - so PRVs and Expansion vessels are familiar concepts) rather than a commissioning or maintenance engineer.

eta, that took a lot more pumping in an awkward location, expansion vessel now feels much lighter, unfortunately cheap relief valve still leaking so at the least I need to take the cartridge out and check the seat and seal.

Anti grumble

New valve fitted, no longer passing water so leak is stopped.

Old valve dismantled, and sure enough, the seat on the valve body is pitted and therefore didn't seal. While the valve was off  I have been able to straighten up the tunn dish so that a future leak stands a better chance of not ending up on the floor.

Even better it took less than 25 minutes to fit and being pressurised the system bled itself by the simple expediency of having the right taps open in the right sequence.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7233 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:08:57 pm »
Dr Larrington has been having problems with water leaks too, in her case from the cold water tank in the loft.  Wouldn't have been too major an isuue had not an investigating Dr Davis put his foot through the ceiling.

Twice :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7234 on: 12 January, 2016, 07:53:19 am »
The hire car I have in place of my own, whilst the latter is repaired, only has AM/FM radio. I though all new cars had DAB?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #7235 on: 12 January, 2016, 08:28:48 am »
Dear British Gas, thanks for the bill payment reminder. Be nice if you sent an actual bill. It would also be nice if (again) your online site recognised my email address (remember, this is one you send reminders too, so I believe you do recognise it) so I could correct the undoubtedly random numbers you are basing it on and pay for the service.

I've relegated this to a grumble because it happens for every bill and they've fixed my account every time and it works once. I'd change suppliers but they all seem to operate a cartel of incompetence.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7236 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:11:34 pm »
I'm planning to defect to https://www.robinhoodenergy.co.uk/ as soon as nPower show evidence of being able to read the newly-installed smart meters (and ideally send a non-exploding wall wart for the associated energy display thinger, as promised).

They were spun off by Nottingham council (hence the name - all Nottingham related things are required to be named after Robin Hood, it's a tradition or an old charter or something) as a non-profit entity, which makes them cheaper than everyone else, and hopefully less evil.  They're an energy supplier, which makes them incompetent by default, but apparently they're reasonably polite about it.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7237 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:31:40 pm »
Actually applies to anyfink that could be associated - Even in the next county*...

A revelation: The airport is seven miles from Doncaster. Which is a good 40 minutes drive from Sheffield. But they claim it's in 'Doncaster, Sheffield'. Is this a bit like RyanAir or whoever claiming to fly into 'London, Prestwick'?  ;D

*It may at one time have even been in Lincolnshire, my knowledge of the People's Republic of South Yorkshire is a tad sketchy
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7238 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:38:15 pm »
Actually applies to anyfink that could be associated - Even in the next county*...

A revelation: The airport is seven miles from Doncaster. Which is a good 40 minutes drive from Sheffield. But they claim it's in 'Doncaster, Sheffield'. Is this a bit like RyanAir or whoever claiming to fly into 'London, Prestwick'?  ;D

Coming soon: services to London-Port Stanley...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7239 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:54:42 pm »

Coming soon: services to London-Port Stanley...

London Baikonur, London Kennedy

...with regular flights to London Tranquillity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7240 on: 12 January, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »
The hire car I have in place of my own, whilst the latter is repaired, only has AM/FM radio. I though all new cars had DAB?

When I have a loaner it's usually ten years or more younger than mine and leaves me crooning "new car - new car - new car".  Last time they gave me an Audi A6 with only 7000 km on it.  God, that car had a built-in sneer, but I liked it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #7241 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »

When I have a loaner it's usually ten years or more younger than mine and leaves me crooning "new car - new car - new car".  Last time they gave me an Audi A6 with only 7000 km on it.  God, that car had a built-in sneer, but I liked it.

My last courtesy car was a beautiful brand new Jag (sorry, Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaag) X-type. Under a hundred miles on the clock, leather seats, auto box, lovely car. The garage managed to stretch out the repairs for about three weeks but I was still gutted when I had to swap it back for my clapped out Celica.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7242 on: 12 January, 2016, 06:53:06 pm »

One lovely sunny day back in the last decade a cow-orker took his A3 in for a service.  They lent him an RS4 convertible.  Git.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7243 on: 13 January, 2016, 08:53:38 am »
Hmm, looks like we'll never (well, not for years yet) get FTTC for the village. We're obviously economically unviable for Openreach, and there probably aren't enough of us to afford to pay for it under the co-funding model. To rub salt into the wounds, all the other local cabinets are plastered with posters saying it's available. Bah.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7244 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:54:01 am »

One lovely sunny day back in the last decade a cow-orker took his A3 in for a service.  They lent him an RS4 convertible.  Git.

VW were late delivering a chum's car so they lent him a Phaeton for a month or so.  Very nice but only got something like 250 km on a tank at Autobahn speeds. The things were virtually unsellable so they used them as punishment for complaining about deliveries.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7245 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:58:28 am »
Gah, more new baby pictures before breakfast. Warn me, fools! I have a sensitive disposition and I think they only look nice if they belong to you.

essexian

« Reply #7246 on: 13 January, 2016, 09:59:29 am »
May I grumble about my "cyclist legs" please.

I have just brought a new pair of swimming trunks: the style I think is called "Jammers" or something.

Well, they fit well around the waist; I can get my bits in without looking stupid or that I have a hamster down here and the leg length is fine. However, as the muscles at the top of my legs are rather large from cycling, the trunks are really tight around that part of my body. So much so, they are really uncomfortable and I doubt I can wear them for more than a few minutes without cutting off blood supply to my lower legs.

Sigh, I suppose I will have to buy a larger pair which are likely to fall off when I am swimming leaving me looking rather stupid in the deep end.  :(

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7247 on: 13 January, 2016, 10:09:08 am »
Er,  photos?  obv
Milk please, no sugar.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7248 on: 13 January, 2016, 12:00:42 pm »
They were spun off by Nottingham council (hence the name - all Nottingham related things are required to be named after Robin Hood, it's a tradition or an old charter or something) as a non-profit entity

Personal Grumble: There is almost nothing at all to link Robin of Loxley to Nottingham.  There are links to Peveril Castle, Hathersage, Sheffield, Nostell Priory and Whitby, but there wasn't even a Sherriff of Nottingham at the time concerned.

Nottingham is an impostor.
Getting there...

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #7249 on: 13 January, 2016, 01:16:31 pm »
Er,  photos?  obv

But not before ian has his breakfast, eh?