Author Topic: A Rough Diamond - 300km, Bushley. PBP qualifier.  (Read 9397 times)

Re: A Rough Diamond - 300km, Bushley. PBP qualifier.
« Reply #50 on: 26 March, 2019, 09:40:23 am »
On fixed gear with 50 km to go? I’d be tempted to try one legging it!

(Tempted, but would almost certainly bottle it to the nearest train station)

« Reply #51 on: 26 March, 2019, 09:52:33 am »
I wondered how far a one-legging attempt would get me. My guess was 0.1 km.

« Reply #52 on: 26 March, 2019, 10:14:09 am »
I also DNFed, halfway round, with a malfunctioning leg.  A friend who lives nearby rescued me.  I took the leg to my physio, who promises to fix it.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #53 on: 26 March, 2019, 01:01:49 pm »
On fixed gear with 50 km to go? I’d be tempted to try one legging it!

(Tempted, but would almost certainly bottle it to the nearest train station)
I cycled the short distance between Ham and Berkeley which was enough to tell me I wasn't interested in doing that for another 50km :hand:, as I hit any kind of incline I had to walk as I couldn't get out of the saddle.

« Reply #54 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:06:33 pm »
Blimey haven't seen one go there before.
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #55 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:51:25 pm »
I believe that Arrivée once carried an article about a fellow randonneur who had "foolishly lost one of his legs".

Sadly I do not have the relevant copy to hand nor do I recall the gentleman's name despite me having ridden at one time with him.

Maybe a member who has a better memory than I can provide the missing details.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #56 on: 26 March, 2019, 09:36:23 pm »
Kevin Hickman, SR ?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 26 March, 2019, 09:46:28 pm »
Definitely Kevin! Tweets as @psyklyn.

« Reply #58 on: 28 March, 2019, 01:31:35 pm »
Yes Kevin Hickman SR.

I once recall meeting Kevin in Willersey, he was thinking about climbing up and over to Chipping Campden. After a short conflab, we agreed it was better to take what would latterly become the "Alfa Pete" manouver.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #59 on: 28 March, 2019, 06:49:07 pm »
Yes Kevin Hickman SR.

I once recall meeting Kevin in Willersey, he was thinking about climbing up and over to Chipping Campden. After a short conflab, we agreed it was better to take what would latterly become the "Alfa Pete" manouver.
Interesting, does the Alpha Pete manoeuvre involve going round a hill instead of over it?

I broke a crank on the bike I was going to ride on the TINAT 600 a few days before the start. I was lucky it happened just two miles from home whilst checking out the bike rather than during the event. I rode home one legged and was on gears so could use lower gears and  keep pushing down and lifting my foot up instead of moving my foot all the way round. I averaged 17.9 km/h but I imagine it would be very tricky on fixed and certainly wouldn’t fancy riding PBP one legged.

« Reply #60 on: 30 March, 2019, 01:46:43 pm »
Yes Kevin Hickman SR.

Interesting, does the Alpha Pete manoeuvre involve going round a hill instead of over it?

Yes, the "Alfa Pete" is invoked when cycling between Willersey and Ilmington, rather than climbing over the hill - you continue around through Weston-sub-Edge, Mickleton.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #61 on: 30 March, 2019, 01:54:32 pm »
Looking forward to it. Might have to get round quickly. The Orb are playing in town on Saturday night.

« Reply #62 on: 30 March, 2019, 02:00:42 pm »
er.... I thought you *had* got round it already.

« Reply #63 on: 30 March, 2019, 02:05:50 pm »
Oh yeah....durr..  I have.

Getting confused with next Saturday's 300

« Reply #64 on: 30 March, 2019, 02:30:16 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #65 on: 30 March, 2019, 03:12:33 pm »
Oh yeah....durr..  I have.

Getting confused with next Saturday's 300

This one?   :)

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111524.0