Author Topic: A Rough Diamond - 300km, Bushley. PBP qualifier.  (Read 9307 times)

A Rough Diamond - 300km, Bushley. PBP qualifier.
« on: 05 March, 2019, 12:07:47 am »
Just about sold-out now.

Any updates for entrants will appear here.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Re: A Rough Diamond - 300km, Bushley. PBP qualifier.
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:10:13 am »
Hi Mark
Any update on possibility of sleeping in the village hall on the friday night please?

Cheers
johnatan
Go Vegas!

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2019, 08:21:38 pm »
A ROUGH DIAMOND - FRIDAY NIGHT.

Friday night Bushley village hall is available for anyone that wants to kip on tbe floor. Please bring your own roll mats sleeping bags etc.

The hall will be open from 7pm Friday.

For those wishing to camp, the field opposite will be available. This is also the over-fill car park. I would advise anyone arriving on saturday morning - park here (avoiding tents).

Sorry - but with nearly two decades experience of auks kitchen decorum, the kitchen will not be available after 9pm.

So if you want to prepare any food, the kitchen will be available from 7pm until 8.45pm - you clean-up after use. Ready for brekkie in tbe morning.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2019, 08:31:17 pm »
That's great news. I will plan to get there and perhaps go for a evening drink or two.
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2019, 08:47:21 pm »
A drink or two?  Sounds like a plan.  I'll be in a Travelodge somewhere nearby.

« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2019, 09:13:43 pm »
As we planned to move house I decided not to make any cider last year ( this despite a bumper crop of apples too  >:( ) otherwise I would have brought a few gallons to Bushley village hall Friday night....

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2019, 10:27:29 pm »
Just a bit of advance info.

A final route check was ridden on Sunday by one of the event helpers.

The only issue being tbe M48 Severn Bridge crossing. It will be a case of using whichever cycle way is open. Follow either route sheet or GPS to A466/M48 island then obey  signage. At far end, turn left at end of cycle route, take 3rd exit at roundabout to pick-up the B-road signed Thornbury. GPS units will probably guide you without any problems. For those that rode Mr. Pickwick's March Madness a couple of week ends ago - its a case of 'as you were'.

The control at Burford House garden centre is aware you will be visiting.

The village stores at Talybont-on-Usk will be looking after you at lunch time. A friendly auk known to many of you will be there to stamp brevet cards.

The Black Shed at Shepherd's Patch are also looking forward to your visit. Leslie and her team are staying open until 11.24pm specifically for you.

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2019, 12:02:04 pm »
50 miles cross wind, 50 miles headwind, 45 miles cross wind, 45 miles tailwind currently predicted

« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2019, 04:28:04 pm »
This has already gone-up on the FB topic.

Over the course of the last week I have received queries about the suitability of the M48 Severn Bridge crossing and the effect storm Gareth might have. I can only iterate here what I have answered to those queries.

Over the course of a year, a relatively high proportion of BlackSheepCC events use the M48 Severn bridge crossing.

Participant safety is always of paramount consideration and importance on all events.

At this time of year, with events frequently using the crossing, regular contact is maintained with various relevant  agencies both sides of tbe border. The last communication being  with Highways England this morning at 11.23am.

There have been recent temporary closure to all road traffic. These are automatically triggered by sensing equipment. The latest automatic closure was lifted at 10.04 this morning.

I contacted the Met Office recently, and their predictions are that Storm Gareth will have moved through the UK and into Scandinavia by the week end. And more seasonal weather will prevail.

Armed with all available information there is no intention to change the route. Naturally, if Storm Hannah makes an impromptu visit and conditions dictate, appropriate action will be taken, and advice given.

This event is not designated with a compulsory route. And as such, riders at liberty to follow any route they choose at any time. The only compulsory parts are the controls.

If any rider does not wish to use the Severn Bridge crossing, the practical alternative is to divert from Talybont-on-Usk to Shepherd's Patch via Gloucester.

« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2019, 05:31:22 pm »
I've crossed the bridge in storm-force winds.  It can be unnerving when the shelter of one of the towers causes a sudden change of direction.  Some folk decided to walk that bit.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2019, 05:55:46 pm »
I've also noticed that the wind suddenly gets stonger as you approach the gate, possibly due to the way it funnels up the coast.

« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2019, 06:01:18 pm »
Having also ridden across the Severn bridge in storm-force winds I heartily recommend screaming as a way to take your mind off the prospect of being blown over the side.

« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2019, 06:22:50 pm »
I have found the doppler effect of rapidly descending rider's screams to be quite disconcerting. Albeit briefly. Once you hear the splash it's fine again.

« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:40:56 am »
Did I imagine a message just now from @jack_p about live-tracking this event? The message appears to have disappeared....

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:46:13 am »
I saw it too, so either it was real or we're both losing the plot.

« Reply #15 on: 13 March, 2019, 01:04:34 pm »
Not sure if anyone requires a comfy bed for the night.

I have been asked (and given  permission) to circulate the following.

Please contact Sara direct on  sjmcl88@gmail.com   

Hi Mark,

I'm just writing to let you know that unfortunately I'm not going to be able to cycle the Rough Diamond on Saturday.

Can I ask a favour please? I have booked and paid (£129) to stay at the Travelodge in Tewkesbury for the Friday and Saturday night. Would you be able to email or Facebook (I'm not on FB) to see if anyone still requires a room for the weekend (don't worry if you can't) - the booking was a Saver rate - no refund possible so it would be good to get all or something back.

Thanks Mark.

Sara

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #16 on: 13 March, 2019, 01:56:05 pm »
Mark.
Will there be a kicking out time for the car park ?
I'll be hoping to get a few hours kip in my car before driving home in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Cheers.

« Reply #17 on: 13 March, 2019, 06:59:15 pm »
bad news for weather on Saturday, looks like yet another possible storm could be arriving

Gusty winds of up to 50mph and rain of course ...

« Reply #18 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:00:10 pm »
watching detailed forecasts and I think sadly I may have to make a decision not do the ride :-(

« Reply #19 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:12:57 pm »
Me too. Heavy rain and wind for 13-15 hours isn't my bag.
Let's hope it changes.

« Reply #20 on: 13 March, 2019, 09:34:14 pm »
Mark.
I'll be hoping to get a few hours kip in my car before driving home in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Cheers.

You should be ok for the rest of the night.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #21 on: 14 March, 2019, 08:23:12 am »
Severn Bridge to the Arrivee is going to take about 1/2 an hour judging by the weather, can't wait  :thumbsup:

JamesBradbury

• James Thinks
« Reply #22 on: 14 March, 2019, 08:26:07 am »
Yeah, tempted to pack a kite for that bit!

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #23 on: 14 March, 2019, 10:18:08 am »
Mark.
Cheers.

You should be ok for the rest of the night.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #24 on: 14 March, 2019, 12:27:22 pm »
Severn Bridge to the Arrivee is going to take about 1/2 an hour judging by the weather, can't wait  :thumbsup:

I was a tad negative yesterday but it will take 20 hours to get to the bridge it seems