Author Topic: Ipod Nano  (Read 4766 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
Ipod Nano
« on: 07 April, 2008, 06:05:09 pm »
I hardly ever use my Ipod.  I've just plugged it into the laptop, and it doesn't register with Itunes.  Also, it seems to have lost all it's content - it was almost full.  I don't want to delete & re-install Itunes as I've got a lot of music stored in it.  How can I get Itunes to talk to the Ipod?  ::-)

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Ipod Nano
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2008, 06:08:27 pm »
Have you  tried rebooting your PC? Since an iPod is a USB device and sometimes Windows needs a gentle nudge to remind it about its USB settings that might cure it

PaulF

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2008, 06:09:47 pm »
Other thought: is the iPod battery flat? Sometimes it needs to charge for a while before it has enough power for the computer to recognise it.

diapsaon0

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2008, 06:57:30 pm »
Many thanks, Paul.  e-booting hasn't helped, so I'm leaving it on charge for a few hours to see if that works.  The battery was completely flat when I first tried it.

Regards,

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra

GillP

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:25:01 pm »
I had an iPod Nano from no-one son for xmas and I love it. So much easier than carting around bucket loads of cds. He also bought me the thing that plugs in the bottom (the name of which escapes me) so we can use it in the car through the radio, we have passed several car journeys being entertained by podcasts of Radio 4 news quiz when the radio has been cr*p.

Also now I am resident ahead of tkp in our flat in St Annes I have a speaker set that the iPod plugs into and I have all my music to listen to here while I am browsing yacf  :D

diapsaon0

« Reply #5 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:53:03 pm »
They're ok when they work  :evil:  I bought this one for a tenner on Ebay a couple of years ago, but it's not had much use.  Now I need it, it's brain dead  ???

Anyway, more importantly, good luck with the move.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 07 April, 2008, 08:53:29 pm »
Is the operating system recognising it? Does it show up in My Computer or the Desktop if you're on a Mac?

If yes, and the charge didn't solve the problem, try giving the iPod a hard reboot by toggling the hold switch on and off and then pressing and holding the center button and the menu button simultaneously. If that doesn't sort it then if you look in your iTunes/iPod software folder there should be a small programme that can update the software or restore it to factory settings.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

GillP

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:01:40 pm »
They're ok when they work  :evil:  I bought this one for a tenner on Ebay a couple of years ago, but it's not had much use.  Now I need it, it's brain dead  ???

Anyway, more importantly, good luck with the move.

N

Think mine may have cost a little more than that  ::-)

Thanks for the good wishes, so far so good with the move.

diapsaon0

« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:29:49 pm »
I've tried everything, including downloading a new update for iTunes.  It shows up in 'my computer' but doesn't register when the update asks for it to be plugged in.  It doesn't want to respond to a reboot either, although the battery is now showing a full charge.  I'll leave it charging and try again in the morning.  Otherwise, it's a bin job  :-X

Thanks for all your help.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:32:53 pm »
I may have misread your post...

Have you rebooted the Ipod?

diapsaon0

« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:36:35 pm »
I may have misread your post...

Have you rebooted the Ipod?

I've tried, but it won't play ball.  I'm leaving it charging overnight and will have another go tomorrow.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:38:19 pm »
Give it several goes. It usually takes me 10 tries to reboot lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:38:32 pm »
Did iTunes recognise it in the past? My sister in-law bought an iPod nano off ebay for peanuts last year except it wasn't an iPod. Looked like one but was just a basic mp3 player in an iPod lookalike shell.

PaulF

« Reply #13 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »
Have you tried following the instructions from Apple HERE

diapsaon0

« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2008, 09:42:10 pm »
Did iTunes recognise it in the past? My sister in-law bought an iPod nano off ebay for peanuts last year except it wasn't an iPod. Looked like one but was just a basic mp3 player in an iPod lookalike shell.

It worked before, but has been sitting in a drawer for a couple of months. 

I've tried to follow the instructions from Apple, but it doesn't register at all on iTunes.  I'm going to leave it overnight and look again tomorrow evening.  Otherwise, it's for the bin.  :'(

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #15 on: 07 April, 2008, 11:53:48 pm »
i'd get it plugged into a mac before binning it. ipods seem to have more problems with windows than mac os. it may be possible to restore it from the mac, so if you have access to someone's mac, give it a try before you bin it.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #16 on: 08 April, 2008, 12:59:48 am »
Before you bin it, if it's under a year old or has Applecare, contact Apple. If it's over a year old or doesn't have Applecare then post it to me and I'll see if I can fix it and send it back :)

Support Equilibrium

diapsaon0

« Reply #17 on: 08 April, 2008, 09:02:47 am »
It's working this morning  :)  After a night resting on my desk, it accepted a reboot and the restore software has worked.

Many thanks to Sam and everyone else for your help.

Regards,

Nigel
Advena ego sum in Terra

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:24:48 am »
YiPodeee!!!  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds