Author Topic: Tubus and Ortlieb Interface Rattles  (Read 4430 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Tubus and Ortlieb Interface Rattles
« on: 03 May, 2016, 08:48:25 pm »
I only have one bad word to say about Tubus racks and Ortlieb luggage, they can sometimes rattle.

OK, Ortlieb provide inserts so yo ucan get a tighter fit but I hate even the tiniest rattles and squeaks on my bike.

Innertube and insulation tape provide a tight, and squidgy, alternative.  Rattle-free and slightly less worrying when you hit potholes that something may snap off the Ortliebs.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
Re: Tubus and Ortlieb Interface Rattles
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2016, 01:43:27 pm »
I only have one bad word to say about Tubus racks and Ortlieb luggage, they can sometimes rattle.

OK, Ortlieb provide inserts so yo ucan get a tighter fit but I hate even the tiniest rattles and squeaks on my bike.

Innertube and insulation tape provide a tight, and squidgy, alternative.  Rattle-free and slightly less worrying when you hit potholes that something may snap off the Ortliebs.

:thumbs:Did much the same myself for the rack on the Litespeed. Chutney's Tern Cargo Rack has just the right diameter tubing for the Ortlieb mounts, the Bontrager rack on the Litespeed doesn't & I found the shims really fiddly. Inner tube sorts the sizing & mutes the rattle. Result.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2016, 01:56:13 pm »
Well, it probably is deja vu.  It sounds like it.  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=96412.0

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2016, 04:01:12 pm »
Clearly Orlieb should take note.

It also fixes a problem whereby, on very long tours, I've seen (photos of) rattly rack mounts wear through even steel racks.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2016, 09:15:16 pm »
To deal with a similar problem (Rattling D-Lock when suspended from saddle rails, so that the arch went through the rails, and the straight part of lock was hanging, horizontal / at 90° to the seatpost) I applied a few turns of that old favourite of everyone's, self-amalgamating tape, followed by couple of wraps of electricians tape to encourage inertness, to each seat rail.

The result was that the lock vibrated it's way through the 'insulation' in a very short space of time.

So this is one of those "Don't bother with this" tips.

HTH.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2016, 11:57:49 am »
Actually, Jurek, it was quite a useful post. I had to look up that tape (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape) and it does loo quite useful, although it seems to be nowhere near as durable as my plastic piping, alluded to in the link.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2016, 12:31:54 pm »
Oh, self-amalgamating tape is wonderful stuff to have in your armoury of bodges - particularly where waterproofing of electrickery or preventing things from fraying are involved (I have some around the bottom end of my foam bar grips to prevent the gear cable causing it to tear).  The chief advantage compared to insulating tape is that it doesn't go sticky and unwrap.  But it's not very mechanically strong, so not for this application.