Author Topic: 'That retarded cowboy fella'  (Read 10659 times)

Re: 'That retarded cowboy fella'
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2008, 03:54:21 pm »
I'm not saying that Brits don't find American humour funny or vice versa; course they do. But there is undoubtedly a difference in styles, humour-wise; otherwise why the need to make The Office into an American version, for example?

Like I said with my first post, I just wasn't sure Russell Brand with his 'scruffy unkempt dandy' persona would necessarily appeal (which is actually, IMO, him taking the piss out of himself and a big part of his act - eg, the hair/mental illness comment). Could well be that I'm wrong...

Perhaps, as Ian says, it is actually more about a foreigner daring to say stuff about Americans than whether they found him funny...

« Reply #26 on: 11 September, 2008, 04:21:34 pm »
I'm not saying that Brits don't find American humour funny or vice versa; course they do. But there is undoubtedly a difference in styles, humour-wise; otherwise why the need to make The Office into an American version, for example?

Point taken. However, I think comedies such as The Office were remade purely because of the cultural referrences. Many of the gags rely on taking the piss out of people in the public eye. Nobody in America (or any other country for that matter) could possibly be expected to know who some random tabloid favourite in the UK is. Therefore the joke is lost. It's not so much about a different sense of humour, more knowing who on Earth is having the piss taken out of them.

Easiest way is to remake it and substitute as required...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

gonzo

« Reply #27 on: 11 September, 2008, 05:21:08 pm »
I've found that an awful lot of people have opinions about Russell Brand without ever actually seeing his material, it's based on clips and perception. I used to be in that category myself TBH. Once you 'get' him, he's quite entertaining.

Why do you assume that people have those opinions without having seen his material?  I've seen his material and find most of it intensely irritating.

Just because somebody's opinion doesn't agree with your view doesn't mean that they are wrong or mistaken.

That came across wrong. I stand by the first bit; ie. an awful lot of people form negative opinions of him without ever seeing more than the odd quote. I'm not saying that all those who have negative opinions about him don't know his comedy, just that I often hear comments along the lines of: "I thought he was rubbish until I actually saw him".

Regarding American/British comedy, there is a difference. I follow comedy like some people follow music (ie. I watch a lot). Stand up is far and away the best form as far as I'm concerned. Additionally, sitcom humour doesn't really depend on country of origin. American stand up comedy lacks a lot of the subtlety that British stand up has*. Compare the British and US versions of who's line is it anyway for an example (I'm aware that the guys are mostly the same). I was careful not to insult US comedy (very restrained on my part).

Yes, there are some funny US comics who are good over here, and there are some rubbish comics from over here.

*generally

Really Ancien

« Reply #28 on: 11 September, 2008, 05:47:42 pm »
Brand has some previous with MTV, having been fired as a VJ for dressing up as Bin Laden on September 12th 2001. I assume he was engaged for the show to say something controversial enough to get some publicity. The young people seem to like him. I saw Frankie Boyle do a better joke on 'Live at the Apollo' on Dave from last year I think. 'Does George Bush even realise who Gordon Brown is? He probably thinks Tony Blair has put on weight and had a mild stroke'. I haven't seen the Brand clip but I don't like his style. Isn't it Chimpist though?

Damon.

« Reply #29 on: 11 September, 2008, 05:55:59 pm »
I've found that an awful lot of people have opinions about Russell Brand without ever actually seeing his material, it's based on clips and perception. I used to be in that category myself TBH. Once you 'get' him, he's quite entertaining.

Why do you assume that people have those opinions without having seen his material?  I've seen his material and find most of it intensely irritating.

Just because somebody's opinion doesn't agree with your view doesn't mean that they are wrong or mistaken.

That came across wrong. I stand by the first bit;

It didn't come across wrong at all, I got what you meant. Subsequent posters either didn't read your post properly or don't understand the old adage ' all africans are black, but not all blacks are african'.

Personally I can't stand Russell Brand.  I'd really really like to as a lot of people find him hilarious and I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get the joke (durrr).

gonzo

« Reply #30 on: 11 September, 2008, 06:06:29 pm »
It didn't come across wrong at all, I got what you meant.

Apparently not! Don't worry though, even if I express myself as I intend to, few people ever really get what I mean.

*edit* although apparently not if I didn't get what you meant. I think I'm every confused!

gonzo

« Reply #31 on: 11 September, 2008, 06:08:38 pm »
It's Canadians that don't understand irony. I submit the song "Isn't it ironic ?" by one Alanis Morissette as evidence.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nT1TVSTkAXg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nT1TVSTkAXg&rel=1</a>

British comedy at it's best!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2008, 06:09:31 pm »
It didn't come across wrong at all, I got what you meant.

Apparently not! Don't worry though, even if I express myself as I intend to, few people ever really get what I mean.

Thursday week at Tottenham Court tube with a string bag full of carrots.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #33 on: 11 September, 2008, 07:20:41 pm »
I've never seen RB perform but anyone who hacks the Yanks off to the degree displayed on the Times comments page gets my support.

LEE

« Reply #34 on: 12 September, 2008, 11:44:13 am »
It's Canadians that don't understand irony. I submit the song "Isn't it ironic ?" by one Alanis Morissette as evidence.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nT1TVSTkAXg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/nT1TVSTkAXg&rel=1</a>

It's not British comedy

gonzo

« Reply #35 on: 12 September, 2008, 03:05:15 pm »

It's not British comedy

???

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 12 September, 2008, 03:07:01 pm »
Ed Byrne is definitely Irish - born Dublin, so not a London Irish like Sean Hughes...
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 16 September, 2008, 05:58:18 am »

Point taken. However, I think comedies such as The Office were remade purely because of the cultural referrences. Many of the gags rely on taking the piss out of people in the public eye. Nobody in America (or any other country for that matter) could possibly be expected to know who some random tabloid favourite in the UK is. Therefore the joke is lost. It's not so much about a different sense of humour, more knowing who on Earth is having the piss taken out of them.

Easiest way is to remake it and substitute as required...
I think the US version of The Office is a comedy, pure and simple, whereas the UK version is a humourous mock-documentary.

I have no opinion whatsoever on Russell Brand.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #38 on: 16 September, 2008, 06:06:22 am »
I don't think Russell Brand did himself any favours hosting the Big Brother Little Brother show in 2006 or 2007.  He was annoying and his humour was not evident.  Since that time he has really become rather excellent.

I also really enjoy that chap from the Mighty Boosh.  He is amazingly clever and witty and very fast yet offbeat with it.  I just don't know his name.  Goth looking geezer.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 16 September, 2008, 09:15:49 am »
Noel Fielding = Vince Noir is the guy you're thinking of, and I think he's going for more of a glam rock look than goth.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #40 on: 16 September, 2008, 09:16:59 am »
Noel Fielding = Vince Noir is the guy you're thinking of, and I think he's going for more of a glam rock look than goth.

that's the guy, I was desperately trying to remember his name, he has also been on Never mind the Buzzcocks znd played Richmond in The IT Crowd, where it was most definately a goth look he was going for....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #41 on: 16 September, 2008, 09:36:45 am »
Don't worry though, even if I express myself as I intend to, few people ever really get what I mean.

Are you American Gonzo?   ;D  :demon:
What's this bottom line for anyway?

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #42 on: 22 September, 2008, 03:37:11 pm »
I see Little Britain are doing a USA thing for consumption both here and thereI wonder how that will go down?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 29 September, 2008, 03:13:45 pm »
Russell Brand is the Anti-Christ, and it pains me to note that he is - inna-FaceSpace-stylee - a "friend" of Mr. Sunshine's band.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #44 on: 29 September, 2008, 03:54:36 pm »

that's the guy, I was desperately trying to remember his name, he has also been on Never mind the Buzzcocks znd played Richmond in The IT Crowd, where it was most definately a goth look he was going for....

Bloody hell, so he did!

Every IT department should have one.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.