Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1609525 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10625 on: 01 December, 2018, 02:59:06 pm »
Fluff. Household full. Where does it all come from? I know that dust in part is human sheddings but where does fluff come from. And more to the point, why is it that two minutes after I’ve vacuumed every last vestige of fluff from every damn crook and nanny is the another metric tonne of the damn stuff blowing tumbleweed like across the floors.
Pah!

Dust bunnies proliferate faster than real ones.  I once had a CPU meltdown due to dog bunnies. That's when I bought an air compressor.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10626 on: 01 December, 2018, 03:11:04 pm »
Fluff. Household full. Where does it all come from? I know that dust in part is human sheddings but where does fluff come from. And more to the point, why is it that two minutes after I’ve vacuumed every last vestige of fluff from every damn crook and nanny is the another metric tonne of the damn stuff blowing tumbleweed like across the floors.
Pah!

There is (nearly) always a Trump tweet Dilbert cartoon.

https://dilbert.com/strip/1991-12-15
https://dilbert.com/strip/1990-07-22

Disclaimer: any linking on my part to a vintage Dilbert strip does not imply any endorsement of Scott Adams' blog, which I diskard utterly, chiz.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10627 on: 01 December, 2018, 03:18:49 pm »
Much less annoying, at least fluff has a secondary use as camp fire kindling/tinder

Whereas tortilla chips/Doritos (other forms of gum laceration are available) are only useful as kindling...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10628 on: 01 December, 2018, 06:12:00 pm »
Dust bunnies proliferate faster than real ones.  I once had a CPU meltdown due to dog bunnies. That's when I bought an air compressor.

There's nothing quite like blasting air from a compressor for de-fluffing electronics.  Hoovering never quite gets into the crevices and canned air doesn't come close.

The trick is remembering not to breathe.

« Reply #10629 on: 01 December, 2018, 07:37:10 pm »
Biological scientists, Excel, sig figs and log mantissas. 

What a mess.

Ftfy

;D ;D ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10630 on: 01 December, 2018, 11:09:02 pm »
FFS, Google. If I type "Banff" into your search box, at least have the grace to present the one true original Scottish Banff (home of Brig'o'Banff whisky) on the first page, and not 57 bits of irrelevant detail about that cardboard Canuck replica.

Search engine optimisation, y'all...

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine's unpaid results—often referred to as "natural", "organic", or "earned" results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a website appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users; these visitors can then be converted into customers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

What you complain about is the relatively innocuous end of what SEO gets used for...

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/how-the-trump-russia-data-machine-games-google-to.html

Surely in this case it's "Search engine optimisation, eh"?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #10631 on: 03 December, 2018, 10:52:22 pm »
Bloody weather and Churchill Retirement Living.

I'm trying to observe Comet Wirtenen/46P. The bloody gaps in the clouds keep disappearing and, when the gaps are big enough, some fucking idiot has built a retirement apartment complex in the bloody way  :demon:

« Reply #10632 on: 06 December, 2018, 01:10:00 pm »
Lycamobile (ooh!)
Calling for the very last time,
Lycamo-o-o-o-bile,
Got no signal,
And no landline...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #10633 on: 06 December, 2018, 01:29:01 pm »
O2 is (or has been) down today and that took out GiffGaff too. I think lyca is also on O2 network.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #10634 on: 06 December, 2018, 02:46:38 pm »
..hence my grumble.  Compounded by the fact that our home landline is also out...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10635 on: 06 December, 2018, 03:42:06 pm »
Service providers seem to,have abandoned the idea of redundancy of single points of failure in this day and age ...
<insert anacdote of minor service failure requiring major reportage in days of yore>
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10636 on: 06 December, 2018, 04:01:11 pm »
Hence 100% bed occupancy causing chaos in hospitals...

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link...

« Reply #10637 on: 06 December, 2018, 04:07:22 pm »
Dear colleague, if I have clearly just brought me lunch to my desk, will you stop asking me questions?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10638 on: 06 December, 2018, 05:32:03 pm »
Redundancy only works if you don't roll the same problematic software out across the whole thing...

https://www.ericsson.com/en/press-releases/2018/12/update-on-software-issue-impacting-certain-customers

Expired certificate!  ::-)

I've just received an email from barakta, informing me that Eduroam wasn't and that she's off to do battle with BloodyTrains.  With any luck I'll see her in a couple of hours or so...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10639 on: 06 December, 2018, 05:55:11 pm »
O2 still borked, whatever Ericsson are claiming....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10640 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:08:46 pm »

My understanding is that the network is flooded with signalling traffic as a result of the failure, so fixing the underlying software problem won't bring things back to life immediately.

Meanwhile the media is full of sob stories from people for whom telecoms is mission critical, but not critical enough that they're willing to pay for some redundancy.  Makes a change from Brexit, at least...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #10641 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:14:25 pm »

My understanding is that the network is flooded with signalling traffic as a result of the failure, so fixing the underlying problem won't bring things back to life immediately.

My son sent me a test sms.  I received it. Received it again a couple of minutes later . Received it a third time an hour and a half after that.
I assume it re-transmits every time they re-boot something.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10642 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:21:04 pm »

My understanding is that the network is flooded with signalling traffic as a result of the failure, so fixing the underlying problem won't bring things back to life immediately.

My son sent me a test sms.  I received it. Received it again a couple of minutes later . Received it a third time an hour and a half after that.
I assume it re-transmits every time they re-boot something.

Barakta sent me a test SMS this morning.  I replied with a single[1] 'PONG'.  She's received at least 50 copies.

My guess would be general overload meaning that something never receives an acknowledgement that the message has been sent successfully, so it waits a bit and tries again.  None of which is likely to help the situation.

[1] "Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10643 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:26:12 pm »
So many things I could say, but is shall limit myself to ARF
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10644 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:35:15 pm »
O2 are confident that service will be fully restored by Friday morning.  They haven't specified which Friday...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10645 on: 06 December, 2018, 06:38:06 pm »
I did wonder this morning if it was the Chinese throwing their toys out of the pram over all the Huawei shenanigans of late.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #10646 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:00:13 pm »
I did wonder this morning if it was the Chinese throwing their toys out of the pram over all the Huawei shenanigans of late.
<smug> MY Huawei with Vodafone is working just fine</smug>
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10647 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:20:24 pm »
<smug> MY Huawei with Vodafone is working just fine</smug>
Of course it is, they can’t watch you if it doesn’t work  ;D

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10648 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:38:31 pm »
There is some pleasing irony in that, if The Register is correct, today's wailing and gnashing of teeth occurred because the systems worked exactly as they were designed to (in the event of certificate expiry).
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10649 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:49:27 pm »
There is some pleasing irony in that, if The Register is correct, today's wailing and gnashing of teeth occurred because the systems worked exactly as they were designed to (in the event of certificate expiry).

It's okay, I'm sure they're rolling out software updates to ensure they accept any old certificate as we speak...