Author Topic: Poor Student 2019  (Read 5673 times)

Brakeless

• Brakeless
Poor Student 2019
« on: 02 January, 2019, 07:43:51 pm »
Who's kicking off 2019 with the Poor Student? The forecast is looking pretty cold but dry, clear and sunny on Saturday, probably the best forecast for a few years on this one.

Re: Poor Student 2019
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2019, 10:30:52 pm »
I plan to be there.  There was a bit of drizzle on the forecast a few days ago but that seems to have disappeared now which is a good thing!

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:19:10 am »
I plan to be there health depending.

I do want to sign a few mates up but unsure if the organiser is taking registrations at this late point. If not we'll just do the ride anyway as a group for fun.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2019, 10:50:27 am »
Entry is still open via the event page on Aukweb.

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:46:06 am »

I do want to sign a few mates up but unsure if the organiser is taking registrations at this late point. If not we'll just do the ride anyway as a group for fun.

Pat publishes his details on the AUK page so suggest you contact him directly.

I'm not sure how I'd feel though if someone announced that they were thinking of riding an event I'd organised without registering because they'd been too late entering/couldn't find my details on the AUK web page. 

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2019, 12:29:14 pm »

I'm not sure how I'd feel though if someone announced that they were thinking of riding an event I'd organised without registering because they'd been too late entering/couldn't find my details on the AUK web page.
Happy?
Sad?
Not bothered?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2019, 02:33:58 pm »

Happy?
Sad?
Not bothered?

Irritated.

<Official Hat On>
a) 9.9.3.  If you don't want to play by the rules, don't enter the game...
b) As has been discussed many times before, an Org may have sized/arranged facilities en-route to meet prescribed numbers.  Arbitary unknown +N's rocking up on a whim may impact on genuine entrants.

Whilst for small scale events +N's may in real life have negliable effect, because facilities have some slack, when events start reaching fields of several hundred entrants +N's may tip things over the edge - so don't go there...
</OHO>

I plan to be there health depending.

Then as suggested, the (polite) method is to ask first...

As it happens, there's currently 8 7 spaces left at this point - when they've gone I'll shut up shop, and consequent requests may/may not get in depending on pre-notified DNS's...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

bludger

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2019, 03:19:09 pm »
Sorry I have advised the guys to pop a note, it's been a hard one as they're a and e shift workers (medical students) and it's all been a bit squeaky bum time over Xmas as they've not been in control of their diaries. Obviously crashing the controls and nicking the food would be out of the question. Looking at the event page I didn't think there were any facilities per se I thought it was quite a 'bare bones' ride (depart, info/receipt controls only, arrivee). Apologies for the rudeness it wasn't intentional. As for myself I am all paid up since before Xmas. I will send the guys a WhatsApp to urge then to get in touch (and pay online) cash ought to be in your purse within 3 hours.

Ban cars.

« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2019, 03:40:15 pm »
Sorry I have advised the guys to pop a note, it's a hard one as they're a and e shift workers (medical students) and it's all been a bit squeaky bum time over Xmas as they've not been in control of their diaries. Obviously crashing the controls and nicking the food would be out of the question - rather they'd just ride with me and wait outside. Looking at the event page I didn't think there were any facilities per se. Apologies for the rudeness it wasn't intentional. As for myself I am all paid up. I will send the guys a WhatsApp to urge then to get in touch (and pay online).

I'm sure no offence was meant and nice effort corrupting inducting fresh faces into the world of Audax

But it's a real issue for organisers and an increasing worry especially on very popular events like this.  Events exist because someone created them and continues to spend hours dealing with the admin and checking that the route still works etc etc.  With things like Ride with GPS etc there really is no impediment to people working out the route and taking advantage of the work that's been done over the years (not to mention piling in at controls, eating free food or taking the mick out of commercial controls that have opened late or agreed special menus). I think your WhatsApp message would be a smart move to tell your mates that they have to enter (and can do so if they get a wiggle on) but that it will go down like a lead balloon if they rock up on the day and expect to join in without doing the necessary.

bludger

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2019, 03:52:49 pm »
Turns out one of them has paid yesterday and didn't tell me 🤦‍♂️

Edit: aaaaand I think that's us 🙏

Ban cars.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2019, 12:31:56 am »

Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiralRandonneur pour encourager les autres ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2019, 06:16:50 am »

Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiralRandonneur pour encourager les autres ;D ;D ;D
Are you suggesting that Voltaire might have influenced ACP into adopting British naval protocols perhaps?

« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2019, 10:20:16 am »
Wimping out of this one. If it were a few degrees warmer, it'd be a difficult decision for me and my feeble immunity.

As is, It'd be akin to finding my nearest influenza carrier and snogging them.

Enjoy, should be a pretty sunny, windless day.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2019, 10:43:18 am »
Party-hardy Friday, 1/2 bottle of Malt, out with the sunrise and do a rolling 200; "That which does not kill us makes us stronger want to stabbity an Org;D

« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2019, 04:10:32 pm »
Defo. This was my first ever audax 5 years ago (and has become a regular item in my calendar) and it always creates a memorable start to the year. Malt in the water bottle may not be a bad idea to prevent freezing.

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #15 on: 04 January, 2019, 04:49:44 pm »
Looking forward to it. Will be good to get the lumpy bits over with relatively early in the ride this year.

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2019, 06:29:31 pm »
I'll be there.
As it will be my first really cold ride of the winter I just need to decide on kit. What I wore last weekend certainly won't be enough!

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger want to stabbity an Org;D

…who sensibly has arranged to be miles away when we finish!

« Reply #17 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:28:40 pm »
So Audax philosophy quiz time

I gave Mr Bludger a hard time.

I decided it was too cold for me so sent my apologies to Pat.

Pat tells me I never entered in the first place.

Do I owe Pat £7? Do I need to look sheepish if I ever meet Mr B?

I'll get my coat

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:11:33 pm »
Defo. This was my first ever audax 5 years ago (and has become a regular item in my calendar) and it always creates a memorable start to the year. Malt in the water bottle may not be a bad idea to prevent freezing.

I remember it well. Together with PieEater, we crashed a wedding reception in Malmesbury (I think it was) and got very confused in Swindon. If I recall, that was also the year of the broken chain followed by the lost glove somewhere just before Oxford itself, in the dark and VERY cold.

Sadly won't be joining you tomorrow as cycling is off the menu for me at the moment, but will be thinking of you all and feeling just a bit envious.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #19 on: 04 January, 2019, 10:25:45 pm »
Il y aura trop de verglas pour moi....desolee!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: 05 January, 2019, 12:23:19 am »

Check the bottle out first; distinctly recall a mid-90's winter ride with bidon full of Southern Comfort that tasted somewhat of plastic by the end of the day :sick:

« Reply #21 on: 05 January, 2019, 08:35:34 pm »
A good day out - Thanks iddu :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: 05 January, 2019, 09:10:34 pm »
De nada

About 120 starters, so should be some good tales.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 05 January, 2019, 09:36:39 pm »
Best PS weather that I can recall for years, quite cool but little wind and no precipitation or ice. Got round on fixed (walked 5 hills). Happy with that for an early January ride.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bludger

« Reply #24 on: 05 January, 2019, 09:40:04 pm »
Cracking ride and two newly breveted randonneurs. Result!

Ban cars.