Author Topic: Women's Tour  (Read 6876 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: Women's Tour
« Reply #25 on: 09 May, 2014, 11:58:19 pm »
(snip) ... an essentially flat parcours with stage lengths of around 100k (as limited by the UCI).

Yeah, what is with that?  This lot are capable of so much more than that.  The highlights are almost as long as teh entire stage, ffs!

Of course they are capable of far more, but I guess when the UCI instigated that particular gem they probably thought they were protecting the poor little flowers!

« Reply #26 on: 10 May, 2014, 12:40:06 am »
I was just thinking how much I liked the Lululemon kit.  Really nice.

Great finish to today's race!
I watched the coverage until a few minutes ago.

Same old story - slow, disorganised and dull.

It wasn't holding my attention so I switched off.

It will never be the same as the men's racing, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It's not worse, it's just different.

And they were all racing right up to the line today.  I loved it.

I found it good to watch but, sadly, it's been virtually ignored in the press and barely promoted. I live in Oundle and it was all a bit "El Baño del Papa", and much the same watching the TV coverage: "Oh! And see the crowds out to cheer them on!!" when there were a couple of people standing on the verge. It is such a shame.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

TimC

« Reply #27 on: 10 May, 2014, 01:27:04 am »
Hmm. ITV4 and Eurosport are running daily highlights programmes, The Guardian seems to be giving it plenty of coverage, and it's pretty big news around here (Sudbury). And the crowds I've seen on TV are pretty impressive for weekday morning racing. I'm sure it could have been given more, but they didn't have a title sponsor until a month ago. I think this race will go from strength to strength - the riders certainly seem impressed.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #28 on: 10 May, 2014, 10:36:03 am »
The ITV4 highlights at 9 are certainly better than watching the TdF a few years ago at 11pm or whatever it was, with sex adverts in the breaks.

Phil W

« Reply #29 on: 10 May, 2014, 05:12:08 pm »
I was out watching it today , cycling between the Qom and finish. Loads of people watching, and I can tell you, they were moving. Not fast? Pah

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #30 on: 10 May, 2014, 05:54:43 pm »
Not fast? Pah
I thought the poster who said it was slow was referring to the coverage rather than the speed of the riders. Their average speed seems to be greater that I can even manage on the flat.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 10 May, 2014, 05:56:00 pm »
The speed they came up the Qom hill defies belief , yep I'd be happy doing doing that downhill with a following wind never mind up

« Reply #32 on: 10 May, 2014, 06:09:00 pm »
they came within a mile or so of us today, so we went to watch them - they bloody flew past!  (uphill, into the wind)

loads of others cheering on our corner in the middle of nowhere, 20 or 30 police bikes, loads of support cars, was great to see it.

TimC

« Reply #33 on: 10 May, 2014, 06:26:05 pm »
Not fast? Pah
I thought the poster who said it was slow was referring to the coverage rather than the speed of the riders. Their average speed seems to be greater that I can even manage on the flat.

Faster than the average for the men's Giro d'Italia stage today!

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #34 on: 11 May, 2014, 09:13:10 am »

I found it good to watch but, sadly, it's been virtually ignored in the press and barely promoted. I live in Oundle and it was all a bit "El Baño del Papa", and much the same watching the TV coverage: "Oh! And see the crowds out to cheer them on!!" when there were a couple of people standing on the verge. It is such a shame.

Do you, do we know each other then? I did suspect this after your new LBS rides comment last week.

Back on topic, I have been enjoying the Women's Tour. Oundle really gave them a good send off. As I rode home through town on Tuesday evening I had to weave through a kids cycle obstacle course, a BMX stunt display, and loads of stalls - a real party atmosphere. I then just had to do a slight detour into the market place at 6am the next morning the cross the start line before riding to work in Northampton, only did the first 10 miles of the actual race route though.

« Reply #35 on: 11 May, 2014, 10:50:28 am »
No, I don't think we've met, I set off via the market place shortly after you do, but in the opposite direction. That's a monster commute you have there!

I think I was a bit harsh on the tour upthread, yes it was a good turn out for the start. Hopefully next year it will be in the mainstream news, like the Giro d'Italia was. The trade assoc. had been led to believe it would bring people to the town over a longer period with, eg, TV crews from Tuesday night, the cafés were open from 05:30 but there was hardly a soul about when I went through at 06:15. Everyone turned up shortly before the start and left immediately afterwards, and the town was deserted for the rest of the day as everyone thought the roads were still closed.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #36 on: 11 May, 2014, 12:15:25 pm »
The benefit of events like this to a trader's association will not come during the event. It comes later, in the weeks and months after, when the added (publicity) profile for the town takes effect.

It's a fairly classic mistake that traders and trader's associations make - more people now = more business now. They have to look at why the additional people are in the town. Largely not to come shopping in the town.
It is simpler than it looks.

TimC

« Reply #37 on: 11 May, 2014, 01:30:01 pm »
I went with my kids into Sudbury to watch the race come through. It was a very good turn-out indeed, more than when the men's ToB came through a few years ago. I think the Police outriders were thoroughly enjoying themselves, waving to the crowds and frightening old ladies and little children with random siren outbursts!! And a lady on a sit-up-and-beg bike who rode up to the market place about 10 minutes ahead of the race got a huge round of applause!

Ruth

« Reply #38 on: 11 May, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »
I just caught up on yesterday's stage.  Excellent bit of telly, plenty of drama  :thumbsup:

TimC

« Reply #39 on: 11 May, 2014, 11:57:01 pm »
Just watched today's highlights. Sadly, we failed to get our fizzogs on the box as they decided Sudbury wasn't photogenic enough. Or maybe I frightened them. But the finish in Bury looked tremendous, and the crowds for the prize-giving were seriously large. Marianne Vos's reaction to the reception she got was quite emotional; there's no doubt that the riders have been surprised and delighted at the enthusiasm that has been displayed by the public - let's hope the sponsors feel they got their money's worth and are keen to repeat the experience.

Tomorrow I might just go and have a go at seeing how pathetic my attempts are at the Strava segments recorded locally by Vos and Dani King!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 13 May, 2014, 08:01:13 pm »
Rather disappointed by this :(  A couple of main factors:

1) Apalling commentary - predictably - from Mr Porter MBE DipHons KGB. I've moaned before about his failure to ID the riders he's talking about. No change there. But also, in this race it seemed like every other sentence was bigging-up the event itself - rather than actually commenting on the action happening. Let the race speak for itself, you're not a street trader!

2) Every stage came down to a final sprint, with no breakaway standing any chance, or even affecting the outcome in any team-tactics way. I don't know why this is. The only womens road racing I've seen has been 1-day jobs - World Champs, Olympics. They seemed to be very similar to their male equivalents. Then again I've never watched a male race of 5 very short stages.

Any ideas of a cause? The dominance of Vos? The stage profiles? Other 'favourites' off form? (Pooley, Armitstead, Trotters)  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ruth

« Reply #41 on: 13 May, 2014, 08:12:44 pm »
Rather disappointed by this :(  A couple of main factors:

1) Apalling commentary - predictably - from Mr Porter MBE DipHons KGB. I've moaned before about his failure to ID the riders he's talking about. No change there. But also, in this race it seemed like every other sentence was bigging-up the event itself - rather than actually commenting on the action happening. Let the race speak for itself, you're not a street trader!

2) Every stage came down to a final sprint, with no breakaway standing any chance, or even affecting the outcome in any team-tactics way. I don't know why this is. The only womens road racing I've seen has been 1-day jobs - World Champs, Olympics. They seemed to be very similar to their male equivalents. Then again I've never watched a male race of 5 very short stages.

Any ideas of a cause? The dominance of Vos? The stage profiles? Other 'favourites' off form? (Pooley, Armitstead, Trotters)  ???

Five short stages, no real climbs, a fairly evenly-matched top of the field, each day's course designed to end in a sprint.

It's early days for this event and I have been mightily impressed.

And I like Hugh.  It's been riveting, every stage (well, the highlights), and I've loved it.

« Reply #42 on: 13 May, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »
Any ideas of a cause?

The stages were not very long: just 94, 120, 90, 88, and 108 km. (Men's races tend to be about twice as long.) There wasn't enough distance or climbing to exhaust the domestiques and leave the team leaders exposed to attacks.

« Reply #43 on: 13 May, 2014, 08:47:13 pm »

What about day2 ?  Ratto was the breakaway, won the stage and took the overall lead !

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 13 May, 2014, 08:48:19 pm »

What about day2 ?  Ratto was the breakaway, won the stage and took the overall lead !
I confess I missed that one!  :facepalm:

But anyway, they say the exception proves the rule. (or something)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Ruth

« Reply #45 on: 13 May, 2014, 09:18:28 pm »
There was a (relatively) sustained breakaway of four riders on the final stage, with some real courage from the peloton from several riders who tried to chase them down.

« Reply #46 on: 13 May, 2014, 09:35:34 pm »
And don't forget the French rider (Day 2) who was away but we then found out (via Ned) that she had a gear problem and that was why she had to keep getting out the saddle on any gradient.

Basically, all stages were generally flat and no different to the men's race on flat stages that generally results in a bunch sprint won by the strongest sprinter.

Did we have the 'boring' tag when Cav kept winning sprint stages in TDF?  I think not!

Regards Porter, I think he did OK, particularly as he was commentating on the pictures that we were witnessing, which were not brilliant.  Of course he was 'bigging-up' the event as all commentators do.  Could you imagine commentary without emotion?  (In a very bland monotone voice) "And Farah wins his second gold medal" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Apparently, the organisers were chuffed to bits and are talking about repeating the event next year.  Personally, I would have liked to see a few more hills and perhaps they need to seek the advice of Tomsk as he always seems to find some hills even on his flat events!  Or have a Yorkshire stage.

TimC

« Reply #47 on: 14 May, 2014, 05:58:30 am »
I believe the stages were chosen on the basis of simplicity, and keeping the transits short - and the fact that Suffolk and surrounding counties were prepared to put the race on their roads at pretty short notice. The stage lengths are limited by the UCI - women's stage races must average no more than 100km daily. The combination of geography and that stage length limitation very much dictated the style of racing.

I imagine the success of the race will encourage other areas of UK to bid to host it in future, but it also suspect it will remain a regional race until and unless it can generate the sponsorship and UCI support to extend it (and by that I mean individual stage lengths as well as the number of stages). It would be good to see a TT and some proper hills - on which the women could well embarrass some of their pro male colleagues!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 14 May, 2014, 06:50:06 am »
Basically, all stages were generally flat and no different to the men's race on flat stages that generally results in a bunch sprint won by the strongest sprinter.

Did we have the 'boring' tag when Cav kept winning sprint stages in TDF?  I think not!
Dunno about you, but I don't get that excited about Cav (or Kittel/Boonen/whoever) winning a flat stage where nothing else happens.
4-5 days of that would NOT make an exciting race for me.

Other comments have pretty much confirmed my impressions - quite a dull race, mainly due to the format/parcours. This 100km limit is pants! Hopefully the organisers can develop the right route to compensate for this next year.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Ruth

« Reply #49 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:07:55 am »

Dunno about you, but I don't get that excited about Cav (or Kittel/Boonen/whoever) winning a flat stage where nothing else happens.
4-5 days of that would NOT make an exciting race for me.

Other comments have pretty much confirmed my impressions - quite a dull race, mainly due to the format/parcours. This 100km limit is pants! Hopefully the organisers can develop the right route to compensate for this next year.

Would you like can-can dancing and juggling dwarfs as well?