Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252745 times)

LMT

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #375 on: 13 September, 2015, 01:07:19 pm »
You would expect more from his team bearing in mind that he has got someone for PR (Idai). I've said from early on that Steve's strategy for the attempt was wrong, attempting to break 'the 'Tommy Godwin record' rather than the 'Highest Annual Mileage record'. You'd think they are one and the same but they are not. Kurt from the off was looking to break the latter heading off down to Florida and the flatlands, whilst  Steve was attempting to break the former carving his way on an out and back out West to Tewkesbury, taking in a fair amount of elevation because this was in the 'spirit of the record'. Attempting to raise this moot point following on from a partisan OP undermining Kurt's record attempt by FB saw me as the villain and the ensuring witch hunt that followed was not particularly nice - or called for, but it would appear I was right all along with Steve now heading to the flatlands day after day. I fear it may be in vain though, Kurt is more consistent with his timings, speed and rest. Will Steve keep this up and break the a record in eleven months time? Time will tell but the implied goings on from FB posts (following his resignation) don't look optimistic to me (wrt to the team).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #376 on: 13 September, 2015, 01:43:31 pm »
Time will tell but the implied goings on from FB posts (following his resignation) don't look optimistic to me (wrt to the team).
You sound like you are really enjoying it  ;D  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

LMT

« Reply #377 on: 13 September, 2015, 01:59:26 pm »
Time will tell but the implied goings on from FB posts (following his resignation) don't look optimistic to me (wrt to the team).
You sound like you are really enjoying it  ;D  :thumbsup:

No more then seeing Wobbly making a botch job of his Pashley with a rubber matlet on PBP. Karma's a bitch when you tell someone to 'fuck off' on a public forum. :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #378 on: 13 September, 2015, 02:01:31 pm »

No more then seeing Wobbly making a botch job of his Pashley with a rubber matlet on PBP.

That was a proper A grade lump hammer, I'll have you know.

« Reply #379 on: 13 September, 2015, 02:36:52 pm »
That was a proper A grade lump hammer, I'll have you know.

And expertly wielded too Maud. My thanks, as always.  :thumbsup:

As for LMT and Assasin and anyone else that wants to make snide comments I'd be delighted to discuss it face to face with you. Anytime.  :)

Anyway, back to Steve...

You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #380 on: 13 September, 2015, 06:27:04 pm »
Arry-R, not sure the arithmetic there is quite right. Steve has 110 days left in 2015. 206 mpd for the remaining time would leave him with around 65,500 for the year.

Steve has stated he might expect some of his longest distance days to be ridden this autumn into winter. There is considerable risk from the weather though, especially unfavourable winds. I imagine the network of places to stay with volunteers would be helpful in that respect so he is not forced to make every ride a MK-based loop.

I'm not sure where the capacity for longer distances is likely to be. Looking at his daily movement patterns, he has already managed to shrink his stopped time to one lunch stop and a short teatime stop. Perhaps lengthening his day by 30 minutes might do it, but I know he is acutely aware that he can't accumulate fatigue through loss of sleep. His daily average moving speed seems to be hovering between 15.5-16.5 mph which is about as fast as it has been during the whole challenge and I don't see much scope to improve that given that he must be as fit now as he will ever be.

Thanks Jo my maths were indeed out

He seems to have gone off hosting arrangements or the coordination of it is lacking? ? we know not.

I am not sure where the extra capacity is going to come from for longer mileage days either as without building up a surplus for the winter it isn't good.  The 360 mls (under the averaged of 206 per day) has to be clawed back soon rather than later!

« Reply #381 on: 13 September, 2015, 06:32:00 pm »
It's noticeable that there is less buzz now. I wonder if it is because whilst people respect what is being attempted, it has a more quixotic feel about it.

I fear its because of his 200-210 mls a day compared with expected 240 a day (lower limit)
I hope all of us here regulars maintain our interest and support which I am sure we shall.  The charts that Jo has done are much appreciated please keep them coming.
well done to all supporters.

« Reply #382 on: 13 September, 2015, 06:43:56 pm »
I'm going to go out and say it:

There just is not enough publicity and feedback to the supporters and sponsors about Steve, his daily progress/feelings/comments and what's going on.  In our modern society we have 24/7 news and we are used to over-analysis of 'the famouses'. I'm glad there is enough money in the kitty to sustain Steve to do what he has always wanted and attempt to break the Godwin record, but I suspect there will be a good number of people who do not continue their SOs and even some who may pull theirs early. 

When there are charities asking for money to feed starving children, keep the air ambulances in flight, save the donkeys etc etc etc, it may become difficult to support a cause that is starting to look one that is severely lacking support.  This is not necessarily my opinion, but it is how it is beginning to appear from the outside world. 

If I was Raleigh, Hope or one of the other big sponsors who had provided kit, I would be also rather mortified by the lack of publicity. Of course they may be perfectly happy with the situation, who knows (well indeed, who does know, as we have heard nothing). The pro riders I know all have to work exceptionally hard not just looking after their fitness and health, but in a 'political' manner to ensure that their sponsors get the thanks they deserve by coverage through social media.  That's the nature of people giving you stuff/money for free and it's the way the world works. 

Kurt and Alicia have this dialled, with the regular updates and it makes the supporters 'feel part' of their attempt.  A bit like the Olympics - it's rarely the performances that get people supporting, it's the post run interviews, the pre-race 'look at their training day' documentaries, the reminders of career up and downs that allow people to feel empathy with their cause.

Lets not forget, the harsh reality is, the vast majority of people in this world don't have the luxury of other people giving them money so they can follow their dream and become top level athletes/record breakers/sponsored professionals.  Most people have to grind out a day to day existence until the day they die.  Even in the UK, with our disposable incomes, growing middle class, luxury lifestyles, there are still starving children and families living in poverty through lack of education/poor parenting/bad luck/drug addiction.

If you are going to have the luxury of following a dream on other people's funding in the modern world, it is an unwritten rule that news and feedback is part of the deal and Steve's team should deal with this.  Or maybe Steve should get himself a new team.
[/quot

Rabbit.  well done on your posting and very good it was too.   Perhaps Steve would wish to have more pro active team members but he hasn't the time to deal with anything other than miles and miles day after day.
Sadly without Roger "we're doomed I tell yee"
" !!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #383 on: 13 September, 2015, 06:53:45 pm »

He seems to have gone off hosting arrangements or the coordination of it is lacking? ? we know not.

Mike, who organised the hosts, has moved to Malaysia.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #384 on: 13 September, 2015, 07:08:26 pm »

I'm sure someone on this thread will soon tell us what bad planning this was, how Kurt's team wouldnt do such a thing,  blahblahblah ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #385 on: 13 September, 2015, 07:10:44 pm »

News to me (a host) but might explain why I haven't heard much from the team for a while.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #386 on: 13 September, 2015, 07:13:30 pm »
Suggest you contact the Crew Chief to clarify the sitrep - make him do some work!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #387 on: 13 September, 2015, 07:14:52 pm »
Good luck with talking to the Crew Chief and getting any sense back.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #388 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:14:21 pm »
News to me (a host) but might explain why I haven't heard much from the team for a while.
Hmmm, there be movement.  The Hosts Organiser was still listed on Steve's web site earlier this week and isn't any longer.  FB has been removed too, I'm guessing we can probably thank FB for the kick in the wotsits Steve's web man clearly received.  Calendar has been cleared, donations page hasn't changed.  Concurrent total added.  There was a routes master listed earlier in the year, he's disappeared at some point too.

Glad to see some movement  :thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #389 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »
In terms of administrative communication, this is beginning to remind me of run-up to LEL 2009.

I suppose another thing to consider is that Steve himself may not want too much focus or outside attention on the attempt for fear it puts more pressure on him, especially if he isn't totally convinced that he can actually break the record (which he is recently on record as stating).

Tarzan's higher profile, on the other hand, maybe suggests that he thinks the record is realistically achievable, and he is going full-throttle for it and is therefore happy for everyone to be in on it.

But again this is pure supposition.

The sound of one pannier flapping

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #390 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:31:42 pm »
The easiest option is for Steve to shorten his lunch stop. That would require eating on the bike, which might need somebody handing him up a musette of food (including a thermos/ bidon of hot soup during winter?).

I fear logic has left the room.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

red marley

« Reply #391 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:36:12 pm »
I suppose another thing to consider is that Steve himself may not want too much focus or outside attention on the attempt for fear it puts more pressure on him, especially if he isn't convinced that he can actually break the record (which he is recently on record as stating).

I think the point about undue pressure is a good one. While well meaning, some of the comments here along the lines of "only 205 miles, pick it up a bit!" may not be what he needs to hear from us. He is well aware of his schedules and what he is capable of doing day-by-day. Certainly more than we are.

BTW, Ian H seems to be more positive about the functioning of the support team (as reported on CycleChat).

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #392 on: 13 September, 2015, 09:47:27 pm »
Hi,

Just some thoughts.

1. The reason why records are there is because they are hard. Success is not a given.

2. We should stop obsessing about the feed back we get from the "team". I give no time to this attempt, I have admiration for those who do.

3. There is little or nothing we can do about Steve's speed except organise support riders. This may happen on exceptional occasions, but not really often enough to aid the mileage, but may help Steve's state of mind.

4. We are all supporters and that is why we are posting here.

5. There is a tone of superiority from some that I feel is not founded from some posters. This is off putting and I wonder if the people who I reference are self aware enough to realise the way they come over.

6. Go Steve  :thumbsup:

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #393 on: 13 September, 2015, 11:51:10 pm »

Ahhh so that's where Mike Wallis is now - thanks for this info - I hadn't heard before!
 ???

« Reply #394 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:20:33 am »
Lack of media coverage is sort of deliberate.
Those interviews with the press are a lot of work to plan and if done very well will cost at least 10 miles.
I can't afford to throw that kind of mileage away.
It can only be done on the road with a cycling journalist who rides with me (which has been done twice)
An accompanying motor vehicle would need to comply with UMCA rules or risk getting me disqualified and there is a lot of hassle there.
Simply put, talking costs miles.

After the event, in August next year, everyone can have what they want from me. I'll be out of work so will have time for interviews etc. But now is the time for me to keep riding.

There should be a short film out soon from last night. Even that meant a late start today. Today will be a strategicaly low mileage. Yesterday was pretty good in good conditions but the wind is going to make things tricky today.
Even that short film took a lot of work. My going away for the weekend stuffed up the original plans but I had to do it to get the best mileage I could.

Travelodging seems to be better than hosting. It opens up my options a lot more so I can use the best roads for the wind conditions rather than have to do loops into headwinds etc

Mileage 20 miles up on last week and those 20 miles were done with 20 minutes more riding time, so must be getting faster too, though the last 2 days were very good conditions.
Current aim is to build up on what I am doing I expect it to happen very slowly.
Still have the post PBP lurking in the background too so I still need to be a bit carefull.

« Reply #395 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:31:22 am »
Masterly work Steve, both the riding (as ever) and the writing (as ever; straight to the various points, very clear and valuable to us supporters.)

Hope it didn't cost you a lot of miles.
All the best for today, however the mileage turns out.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #396 on: 14 September, 2015, 10:21:16 am »
Lack of media coverage is sort of deliberate.
Those interviews with the press are a lot of work to plan and if done very well will cost at least 10 miles.
I can't afford to throw that kind of mileage away.
It can only be done on the road with a cycling journalist who rides with me (which has been done twice)
An accompanying motor vehicle would need to comply with UMCA rules or risk getting me disqualified and there is a lot of hassle there.
Simply put, talking costs miles.

After the event, in August next year, everyone can have what they want from me. I'll be out of work so will have time for interviews etc. But now is the time for me to keep riding.

There should be a short film out soon from last night. Even that meant a late start today. Today will be a strategicaly low mileage. Yesterday was pretty good in good conditions but the wind is going to make things tricky today.
Even that short film took a lot of work. My going away for the weekend stuffed up the original plans but I had to do it to get the best mileage I could.

Travelodging seems to be better than hosting. It opens up my options a lot more so I can use the best roads for the wind conditions rather than have to do loops into headwinds etc

Mileage 20 miles up on last week and those 20 miles were done with 20 minutes more riding time, so must be getting faster too, though the last 2 days were very good conditions.
Current aim is to build up on what I am doing I expect it to happen very slowly.
Still have the post PBP lurking in the background too so I still need to be a bit carefull.

Good luck Steve.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #397 on: 14 September, 2015, 10:41:41 am »
As ever, Steve's post is positive, concise, well thought through and full of common sense.  Would be nice to read more supportive rather than gloomy posts from contributors here.   Must be wearing for Steve to deal with such negativity.

Roll on Steve.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #398 on: 14 September, 2015, 11:11:10 am »
Steve shouldn't have to deal with these things and take away from his riding time. All he should need to do is talk to his team (by phone, while he is riding) and they should make things happen.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #399 on: 14 September, 2015, 11:43:55 am »
He certainly doesn't need Energy Vampires.
It is simpler than it looks.