Author Topic: Skeggy 300  (Read 3764 times)

Re: Skeggy 300
« Reply #25 on: 11 April, 2019, 08:52:15 am »
I rode it in 2007, and definitely had Fish & Chips in a cafe, in full sight of the sea.

Ditto. My first ever 300. I've always said never again but 12 years later I reckon I could handle another skeggy...maybe... :hand:

« Reply #26 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:49:08 pm »
Well that was cold! I enjoyed it though. A bit manic from the start but I teamed up with Jim Hopper and Mark Gray at Woodhall Spa and benefitted from their work into the headwind and we stuck together for the rest of the ride. It would have been difficult to find better riding companions.
I haven't been to that part of the world for more than fourty years. Sherwood Forest was freezing and the wind was unrelenting on the way out but very helpful on the way home. Roads were worse than Wessex! Man eating potholes abounded and we did have one casualty, apparently fine now. The wolds around Horncastle were very attractive although this could have been because it was also the warmest part of the ride - so much so I undid some zips!
Finished feeling pretty good so all set for the Heart of England which promises a complete change of weather atm.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #27 on: 16 April, 2019, 11:16:38 am »
It certainly was cold and I wasn’t quite as lucky in the Lincolnshire Wolds as I got caught in snow/sleet/hail showers in both directions! I still enjoyed the ride and especially the tailwind on the way back. I followed the water railway cycle path from Bardney to Fledborough to dodge the A57 traffic, except for controlling in Lincoln, and rejoined the official route in Tuxford. Sunshine, light traffic and the tailwind even made Mansfield Woodhouse and Sutton in Ashfield seem quite pleasant.

« Reply #28 on: 16 April, 2019, 11:54:20 am »
We had 2 brief hail showers but could see others around which we fortunately missed. ;D
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #29 on: 16 April, 2019, 01:18:19 pm »
It certainly was cold and I wasn’t quite as lucky in the Lincolnshire Wolds as I got caught in snow/sleet/hail showers in both directions! I still enjoyed the ride and especially the tailwind on the way back. I followed the water railway cycle path from Bardney to Fledborough to dodge the A57 traffic, except for controlling in Lincoln, and rejoined the official route in Tuxford. Sunshine, light traffic and the tailwind even made Mansfield Woodhouse and Sutton in Ashfield seem quite pleasant.

The Straggler and I followed that path too much better than the A57

« Reply #30 on: 17 April, 2019, 09:56:07 pm »
I used it two years ago but stuck to the route this time.

It was one of the coldest rides of this year, and I didn’t help things by not eating enough on the outward leg. By the time I got to Woodhall Spa, I was bonked and spent the next two legs just catching up on food.
After tea and cake at Sutton on Sea , I started to feel better and made good use of the tailwind,clocking up to 20 mph on the way to Bardney. Solo back to Edwinstowe and then started to catch one or two others.
Easy run round the edge of Mansfield,straight down the A38 and back in the same time as 2 years ago.
Thanks to all the helpers serving tea and cake at the finish. Much appreciated.