Poll

Does a ride being BRM rather than BR make a difference to whether you enter?

Yes, I always seek out BRM rides for preference - love to see that ACP stamp on my card
11 (12.6%)
No, I choose which rides I enter for other reasons and the brevet status makes no difference
51 (58.6%)
No, prefer to avoid BRM rides cos it takes too long to get the card validated
2 (2.3%)
Only in PBP year
17 (19.5%)
What's a BRM?
6 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: BR vs BRM  (Read 21266 times)

Re: BR vs BRM
« Reply #125 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:47:33 pm »
Give our regards to Tom, he and his rides are much missed. I notice you say that the control was on the brevet card. Routesheets tended to get used every running, and it was often unclear if controls could be staffed. I recall a guy on a motorbike.

That was our local dentist who used to ride out there to man it.
They were good events with a wonderful variety of riders. Had a guy ride it in a pair of chinos one year :)

Thank Heather for getting me round the Daylight I've always been grateful for that. It was the last long ride I ever did as I suffered with migraines for the next three years after it.

Heather still tells the tale of a man announcing in broad Yorkshire tones that, it's not me bum, it's me testicles, in a café near Callander. A typical BRM moment.

I am laying a hedge just off the A701 at Lamancha this week. Pop in if you are around.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #126 on: 11 September, 2017, 04:55:42 am »
We didn't know that Hyper Randonneur was thing, until HK wondered if shows the first female HR, and Chris S pointed out she wasn't. I don't remember who the first was, it's on a thread here somewhere.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7466.msg2060240#msg2060240
Vickie Brown or Heather Swift?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #127 on: 11 September, 2017, 07:17:09 am »
I got the idea of an Audax 24 from riding in the Borders. I felt much safer there than on the A49 and A41. My favourite area is North of Inverness. But that has become fashionable.

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #128 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:34:18 am »
A case of 'chacun a son gout, or chacun à son goût'. One's English, and one's French English, the main difference being where you place the accent.

FTFY  ;)

<pedant>à chacun son goût</pedant>
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #129 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:53:37 am »
We didn't know that Hyper Randonneur was thing, until HK wondered if shows the first female HR, and Chris S pointed out she wasn't. I don't remember who the first was, it's on a thread here somewhere.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7466.msg2060240#msg2060240
Vickie Brown or Heather Swift?

If you're just looking at earliest female 4x600 (rather than when HR 'was a thing') then Liz Creese or Sheila Simpson, in 1991 or maybe 1990.  Sheila certainly rode 3x600 events plus PBP in 1991, but I suspect Liz may have ridden 4x600 even before PBP took place, as there were 6 600s calendared that year. And either of them could have ridden 4x including 1 or more Perms, in 1990 - there were only 3 600s that year and they both rode them all - but we don't have any surviving central records of Perms going back that far.  I rather doubt if anyone male or female acheived HR before 1990, unless maybe by doing PBP and Le-JoG in the same year.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #130 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:59:09 am »
Thanks for the correction FF. You can tell that my own involvement with audax doesn't go further back than 1992.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #131 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:16:58 am »
Before 1991, doing multiple night-rides in a year was generally regarded as eccentric and likely injurious to health, even among hardened audaxers.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #132 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:30:19 am »
;D

« Reply #133 on: 12 September, 2017, 03:56:43 pm »
A case of 'chacun a son gout, or chacun à son goût'. One's English, and one's French English, the main difference being where you place the accent.

FTFY  ;)

Oddly. A search on allure libre leads to some sort of parkrun in France.

« Reply #134 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:08:41 pm »

Well, 'randonnée' refers to much more than just cycling.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #135 on: 13 September, 2017, 10:33:41 am »

Using a generic term for something specific is a nasty habit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #136 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:16:13 pm »
There isn't a satisfactory term for what we do. Audax conveys the boldness but not much else.

I wonder why we don't think of BPs, rather than BRs, a 200 BP would be more inclusive. The voting suggests that would be popular and populaire.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #137 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:26:25 pm »
I wonder why we don't think of BPs, rather than BRs, a 200 BP would be more inclusive.

Presumably the main reason for offering a 200 BP would be to allow more relaxed speed limits, but this would require keeping the finish open much later, or starting much earlier, so I can't see many organisers being too interested in that.

It might work if you're running it concurrently with a longer event, as is the case with Black Sheep's 'This Is Not A Tour' events next year, which include a 300 BP and a 400 BP.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #138 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »
The reason for those being BP is that the routes are probably not rideable within BR time limits.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #139 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:04:49 pm »
The reason for those being BP is that the routes are probably not rideable within BR time limits.

They are also available as BR though.

Tbh, I would probably have trouble completing the 400 inside the BP time limits at current levels of fitness. Looks like an incredible route though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #140 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:58:49 pm »
<tinat stuff ... >

They are also available as BR though.

Tbh, I would probably have trouble completing the 400 inside the BP time limits at current levels of fitness. Looks like an incredible route though.
Cudzo is right on this one. mark expects most riders would fail on the BR, and could be said to be steering riders towards the BP

(And I believe the 400BP came before the 600  - so Mark knew that his latest finishers would likely be the 400BP riders).

Sometimes an organiser doesn't regard his bedtime as the highest priority when running events! :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #141 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:59:46 pm »
I wonder why we don't think of BPs, rather than BRs, a 200 BP would be more inclusive.

Presumably the main reason for offering a 200 BP would be to allow more relaxed speed limits, but this would require keeping the finish open much later, or starting much earlier, so I can't see many organisers being too interested in that.

It might work if you're running it concurrently with a longer event, as is the case with Black Sheep's 'This Is Not A Tour' events next year, which include a 300 BP and a 400 BP.

It would be easy to run a 200 BP as a companion ride to a 300 . There's an appetite for Challenge rides. A