Author Topic: problem with the cadence/speed sensor of a Garmin Edge 705  (Read 2444 times)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
problem with the cadence/speed sensor of a Garmin Edge 705
« on: 27 November, 2009, 11:13:04 am »
I have a problem with the cadence/ speed sensor of my Garmin Edge 705 (firmware version 2.90). Although the sensor seems to be working - red and green flashing lights when I turn the crank/spin the wheel - it doesn't talk to the GPS unit.
It stopped a couple of rides ago and I assumed that the sensor is misaligned.  Actually the magnet went out of the socket. After changing it the sensor seem to work again but did not communicate with the main unit.
I pressed the reset button on the sensor, let the main unit search for the sensor again. Also switched the sensor off and on again at the unit as well as trying a soft reset and changing the battery of the sensor. No luck so far.

Has anyone any ideas or can point me in the right direction? Thanks a lot for your help.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Re: problem with the cadence/speed sensor of a Garmin Edge 705
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2009, 11:24:54 pm »
You seem to have tried most things, but here are some thoughts:

First thing I'd try (if applicable) is to pair the cadence/speed sensor away from any Home WIFI equipment. I've read somewhere that can stop successful pairing sometimes. (Also, are you moving the wheel to trigger the sensor when pairing?).

I'm assuming the HR monitor can be paired again OK / is working properly? If that doesn't work either, then the 705 could be faulty...

If you can find another person locally with a 705 Cadence sensor, try pairing with that. If that works, then your cadence sensor may be faulty.

Try a hard reset (loses all your configuration) and try setting everything up from scratch, you never know...

You might also want to post on the Garmin Edge 705 forum for more responses.

Shaun

« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2009, 11:58:41 pm »
You can call Garmin support if its still not working.

Contact Garmin Support

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2009, 03:58:21 pm »
You seem to have tried most things, but here are some thoughts:
First thing I'd try (if applicable) is to pair the cadence/speed sensor away from any Home WIFI equipment. I've read somewhere that can stop successful pairing sometimes.
This worth a try. Will report on the outcome.

I'm assuming the HR monitor can be paired again OK / is working properly? If that doesn't work either, then the 705 could be faulty...
Yep works fine, afaict.

Try a hard reset (loses all your configuration) and try setting everything up from scratch, you never know...
I was trying to avoid this/ first make sure that I didn't oversee something obvious. But I have to give it try now...

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:36:30 am »
Just to sum this thread up: The sensor works again after leaving the bike in the shed for a couple of weeks. No idea why.