Author Topic: GPS on the cheap  (Read 3136 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
GPS on the cheap
« on: 31 January, 2010, 02:53:37 pm »
I have a new phone from work, a Nokia E52.  I discovered the other day that it has GPS built in. This automagically links into Google Maps, for example, pinpointing (within GPS limitations) where I am. It also has Nokia's own mapping application (Ovi?) built in, and does a similar job there.

What would be spiffy is to find some application (free would be extra spiffy) that can import gpx files and do the whole routing thing. 

Any ideas?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: GPS on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2010, 04:20:24 pm »
Can you save the route as a kml file ( or convert gpx -> kml) and import it into your Google Maps ?

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »
Tim

Would TrekBuddy do what you want?  I have it running on BlackBerrys and it works well.

Can show you on Sunday, weather permiting (!)?

Russell

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2010, 07:13:26 pm »
Tim

Would TrekBuddy do what you want?  I have it running on BlackBerrys and it works well.

Ooh! That looks like the thing! Downloaded and installed.

Can show you on Sunday, weather permiting (!)?

Russell

You'll have to show me how to drive it. Sunday week though, surely. And check the website for new start location.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2010, 07:31:11 pm »
How to get fancy offline maps into Trekbuddy: Tools - TrekBuddy
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2010, 10:31:37 pm »
Yup, date and location noted.

Try also TrekBuddy Atlas Creator (now called Mobile Atlas Creator) as an easy way of getting maps (atlases) into the phone.

http://mobac.dnsalias.org/

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2010, 08:58:04 am »
I use Trekbuddy and an external GPS on my Blackberry. Works just fine (mostly) but there are some issues with the touch screen I haven't quite resolved. (Re-centering on current location being one as there are no direction arrows to work with).

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »
To put routes on google maps mobile, I coverted the gpx file to a kml file, then uploaded it into my maps on Google Maps (you'll need to have a google account). Then, on the mobile you can choose my maps under layers.

GPS Visualizer: Map a GPS data file with Google Earth

BTW, did you know that the E52 can run Nokia Sports Tracker? You just have to download the N96 version.

Nokia Sports Tracker Beta

ed_o_brain

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:28:48 pm »
This thread has been an excellent find. A quick browse around shows that TrekBuddy should work with the HTC Touch Diamond work have issued me!

Pity the battery life isn't too hot, but this seems useful as a backup option!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2010, 11:09:16 pm »
How do you do the routing with Trekbuddy? Not something I have really tried with much.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #10 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:38:18 am »
How do you do the routing with Trekbudd?

Do you mean following a track derived from, say Bikehike?

That's relatively easy, I'll out some words together.

R

« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:25:05 am »
TrekBuddy will follow a track created from a mapping program, BikeHike or Google for instance, or a track that it has recorded itself.  This is stored in the directory called 'Tracks' accessed by pressing '1'.  Select 'Tracks' and then your preferred track.  TrekBuddy name its tracks in a date/time format.

Selecting the track causes it to be loaded and a list of waypoints are displayed.  Pressing enter displays the details of the selected waypoint.  Menu brings up the navigation options.  'GoTo' will take the map straight to the start of the track - a usful way of checking accuracy without the GPS needing to be locked.

'Route Along' will display the track as a red line and there will be a green pointer on the rose indication direction to next waypoint.  The display may not show the start of the route unless the GPS is locked.

I wouls have POI turned off in 'Settings' 'Navigation' as they are too intrusive.

I use TrekBuddy Atlas Creator now called Mobile Atlas Creator to create maps and find that OS Maps do not work well with TrekBuddy due to the range of colours on an OS Map.  OSM display very clearly tho'.

As for battery life the BB lasts about 2-3 hours with the display on permanently (button 3) but I have bought a LI-ion battery pack from portable power supplies.co.uk which extends the life by 3-4 times.

http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/usbliionbatterypack.htm