Author Topic: Transferring City Navigator DVD Maps to eTrex Legend HCx  (Read 1243 times)

Transferring City Navigator DVD Maps to eTrex Legend HCx
« on: 28 February, 2010, 02:10:47 pm »
I recently bought City Navigator Europe NT 2010 on DVD, together with a blank 2G Micro SD card. I'm having problems transferring map segments to the GPS unit.

I've been able to transfer two segments of Denmark and that's it. Before I did that, I'd transferred three segments of the UK, and although they were checked as selected in the unit's map setup, very little detail was visible. Then when I transferred the two Denmark segments, the UK segments are gone (assuming they were actually on in the first place). I can see the Danish segments as checked in map setup (and can see the map detail) but there nothing showing for the UK.

Should I be creating a single Mapset in MapSource of everything I need in Europe, then doing a single transfer? Or is there another method?

Any advice would be welcome.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Transferring City Navigator DVD Maps to eTrex Legend HCx
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2010, 02:49:24 pm »
Should I be creating a single Mapset in MapSource of everything I need in Europe, then doing a single transfer? Or is there another method?

Yes.  Mapsource creates and overwrites the garmin/gmapsupp.img file on the card (which is the only place the eTrex will look) every time you upload maps.  You can preserve the existing mapset by renaming the file, but since you can't do that with the eTrex alone, it's better to build a single mapset containing all the maps you're likely to want, where possible.

If you look in the free maps for Garmin thread, I've been doing this to create an image containing the UK in Metroguide, TopoGB and andygates's OSM Munky map (which can now be easily installed in Mapsource), so I can switch between the different maps on the fly.

Re: Transferring City Navigator DVD Maps to eTrex Legend HCx
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »
That worked. Many thanks.