Author Topic: Getting track to display on my HCx  (Read 1170 times)

Getting track to display on my HCx
« on: 27 March, 2010, 12:18:28 am »
I haven't used my Vista HCx much over the winter, and so I've just updated to the latest version of Andy's excellent Munky map, and loaded a .gpx file of a ride planned for Tuesday - a 200 downloaded asa .gpx from Bikely then filtered down to 450 points in Mapsource.  I've uploaded it onto the memory card on the GPS unit, but it won't display.  The track menu page doesn't appear to have any saved tracks in it.

It used to work - what have I forgotten? :^)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Getting track to display on my HCx
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2010, 12:32:39 am »
Just copying a GPX file to the memory card doesn't work with the eTrex. You need to use software that transfers the track to it's internal memory.
You can do this with Mapsource - just use the "Send to device" button on the toolbar. It should detect the device as your eTrex.
Note: make sure your etrex is not in USB mass storage mode, otherwise this won't work.

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2010, 12:39:34 am »
Thanks!  I'm sure I used to just chuck-em across - obviously not!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2010, 11:59:35 am »
Since you are using Mapsource, colour your track (in properties, I like green) before using 'send to device'. 
You can also colour it in the Etrex, its just a bit easier to do it in Mapsource.

Also although uploaded tracks usually default to 'show on map', occasionally they don't, and I've never been able to work out why (ie what it is about the saved track that switches it off) so I always check each one in the Etrex to make sure the 'show on map' tickbox is enabled.

Etrexes can't utilise any Track or Route information that is placed on the memory card.  Only maps, and custom POIs.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll