Author Topic: Edge 705 on long rides  (Read 4070 times)

Edge 705 on long rides
« on: 11 April, 2010, 01:39:08 pm »
I know a few people use an Edge 705 for long rides.

I'll be sorting out a cable (with appropriate pins grounded to prevent it going into computer mode) to power it from a battery pack in the triathlon style top tube bag, but my question is about the recording limits...

Quoth the manual:-

"
Smart Recording:-
  TIP: For long rides, reset your timer every 12 hours to avoid overwriting history data.
Every Second:-
  TIP: For long rides, reset your timer every 4 hours to avoid overwriting history data.
"

Does this really mean I need to stop the timer and reset it every 4 (or 12) hours? Does it write to some non-volatile internal temporary memory it stores tracklogs-in-progress to before writing the data out to the 1GB internal memory (or the extra memory of the micro-SD card)? It ain't clear.

What do people using an Edge 705 for long rides (Audaxes ideally) do? Especially if they could be further than 4 hours between controls/stops.

(I'd prefer to keep as much data as I can.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Edge 705 on long rides
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2010, 01:55:36 pm »
I've had several recorded trips longer than 10 hours and not seen a data loss.

With regards to a cable - I got a "USB/EMU Extension 1.5m" off ebay, I run a Lithium rechargeable in the saddle bag. With the Gomadic system I can charge iPhone and 705 from this. I also have an AA battery pack for the system, so can resort to AAs if necessary.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2010, 02:40:04 pm »
This is an assumption so I may be absolutely wrong!

The way I understand this the Garmin 705 will look at itself for spare memory and then record. If there is no memory then it will delete the oldest file on the system.

If you only have one file than ALL your data is deleted, whereas if you have multiple smaller files only that data is deleted minimising data loss.

I have done several 14 hour days within the 705 and experienced no data loss, although I do delete history prior to such a ride in preparation.

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2010, 03:42:10 pm »
I know a few people use an Edge 705 for long rides.

I'll be sorting out a cable (with appropriate pins grounded to prevent it going into computer mode) to power it from a battery pack in the triathlon style top tube bag, but my question is about the recording limits...

Quoth the manual:-

"
Smart Recording:-
  TIP: For long rides, reset your timer every 12 hours to avoid overwriting history data.
Every Second:-
  TIP: For long rides, reset your timer every 4 hours to avoid overwriting history data.
"

Does this really mean I need to stop the timer and reset it every 4 (or 12) hours? Does it write to some non-volatile internal temporary memory it stores tracklogs-in-progress to before writing the data out to the 1GB internal memory (or the extra memory of the micro-SD card)? It ain't clear.

What do people using an Edge 705 for long rides (Audaxes ideally) do? Especially if they could be further than 4 hours between controls/stops.

(I'd prefer to keep as much data as I can.)

That restriction was removed via a firmware upgrade (v2.30) a long time ago. You can now record effectively as much history as you like in one go (well, until the internal 500MB memory runs out). You'll use about 1MB for about 100 miles using "smart recording" or about 6MB / 100 miles using "1 second recording".

FYI: Garmin firmware upgrade history.

Shaun

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2010, 04:00:32 pm »
Thanks for the link and comments, just one question...

Is that "500mb internal memory" separate to the drives that get mapped when connecting it to the computer? When plugging in the unit I get a D: drive with the current GPX files on it, along with the history, but it has ~920MB free. My maps are all stored on the separate Micro-SD card.

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2010, 04:13:07 pm »
No, it's the same. The Edge 705's internal (flash) memory = your D: drive. History is recorded here.

Recent Edge 705's seem to be coming with 1GB internal memory instead of the 500MB I was referring to above. You seem to have the larger capacity one, hence your 920MB free!

Shaun

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2010, 04:18:27 pm »
Lovely, Ta.

At one point per second the .tcx file for a 42 minute ride is a shade over 1MB. If it's linear then that 920MB gives me over 600 hours of recording, so I can stop worrying about losing data...

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2010, 04:30:21 pm »
Yes. I'm going to record my 9,000 km Canada ride on a 705 with smart record. Should take up less than 100MB...

I've also plotted 9,000 km on BikeHike (in multiple 3-400km sections) and downloaded everything in TCX format to follow as a course while I'm on the road!

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #8 on: 12 April, 2010, 11:18:28 am »
With regards to a cable - I got a "USB/EMU Extension 1.5m" off ebay, I run a Lithium rechargeable in the saddle bag. With the Gomadic system I can charge iPhone and 705 from this.
I was wondering how you keep the joints (ie USB/EMU - garmin 705 /// EMU- Gomadic ) waterproof. So far I am using mainly blue tack (originally as a replacement of the lost cap of the garmin 705, which works fine, btw). I am bit suspicious about this construction because I never had the chance/bad luck to use it in torrential rain.

I've had several recorded trips longer than 10 hours and not seen a data loss.
Same here - no problems. I am only using 'smart record', tough.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2010, 11:22:49 am »
I was wondering how you keep the joints (ie USB/EMU - garmin 705 /// EMU- Gomadic ) waterproof.

Mainly by not using the combo in bad rain!  ;D The Lithium battery I have will give a boost charge at cafe stops.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2010, 11:57:35 am »
I was wondering how you keep the joints (ie USB/EMU - garmin 705 /// EMU- Gomadic ) waterproof.
Mainly by not using the combo in bad rain!  ;D The Lithium battery I have will give a boost charge at cafe stops.

Thanks - that's confirms my worst fears - or so... ;). Will resort to that strategy, too.
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2010, 11:30:06 pm »
I agree with the others about the recording time - LEL wasn't a problem without resetting, nor were any of the other long rides I did last year. The year before, with earlier software, it wouldn't do a 600km ride without running out of room.

I've not particularly bothered with waterproofing whilst charging, but mine is horizontally mounted (so water would have to splash up to it, not run down it), and I try to avoid having it plugged in during rain if possible. Obviously on Welsh rides it rarely is :-)
My normal charging scheme is to run on batteries during the day, and on the external pack at night (as I also have the backlight on all night).

« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2010, 11:31:32 pm »
So far I am using mainly blue tack (originally as a replacement of the lost cap of the garmin 705, which works fine, btw).

Try calling Garmin UK - they sent me a replacement SD card cover free of charge (no idea how I lost the original).

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2010, 12:55:34 pm »
Guys I have a question.

I have a new Garmin 705 edge with City navigator on micro SD. I plotted my 86 mile route on bikehike and downloaded the gpx file to the computer and then copied and pasted in windows explorer.

prior to setting off I selected the route I had planned and everything was going well and directions were specific road names. I live on the edge of Chelmsford and the early part of the route was rural. When I entered what I would describe as the centre of Colchester the Garmin beeped and a message came on screen saying that no map could be found and it seemed to drop the City navigator and revert to basemap beeping every hundred yards or so and giving directions according to the compass. My pre defined route was still showing on the screen however as before but without the detail like road names.

Later in the route near Ipswich I selected find a city to navigate across town. Everything was fine and detailed until I reached what I would call the town centre and the same message appeared on screen and I lost all the detail from the maps.

On both occasions it says 'no map' in the bottom left hand side where before it says mapsource.

This was the first time I had used the device and I am sure the maps dropping out are something to do with nearing town centres on both occasions or maybe something to do with my set up. I am sure there's an explanation for what's happening, I just need a steer from yacf collective knowledge please.

« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2010, 12:58:03 pm »
a message came on screen saying that no map could be found

I could be wrong but I'd have thought this is due to the card not being securely inserted or some sort of intermittent card access problem.

« Reply #15 on: 17 April, 2010, 01:11:52 pm »
In two years of use this has happened to me once. A reboot sorted it so I don't think it was a loose card and SP's second guess is probably right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2010, 01:15:20 pm »
It might be to do with how many tiles of the map you uploaded to the Garmin? I'm pretty sure this happened to me when I got mine, then I realised I had to go back to the Garmin software and make sure I'd uploaded all the map tiles to the device.

Edit - yes. I used Garmin Mapinstall (on OSX - I presume it is called similar on PC) to select the tiles I wanted installed. I put the whole of the UK in and the bits of Europe I wanted from my City Navigator Europe.

« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2010, 01:17:38 pm »
It might be to do with how many tiles of the map you uploaded to the Garmin?
The whole of Euroland on mine. Proper Garmin map too not OSM funkymonky maps.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2010, 05:08:48 pm »
I haven't uploaded an maps, I just put the card into the device that it came with.

« Reply #19 on: 17 April, 2010, 05:18:13 pm »
I haven't uploaded an maps, I just put the card into the device that it came with.
If it continues I would do, or redo, the latest firmware update. If it still insisted on not finding maps then I'd see what they say on garmins forum.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #20 on: 17 April, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »

Ah, map on a card, not a DVD. I should have read your post better!  :)