Author Topic: GPS Downunder  (Read 2238 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
GPS Downunder
« on: 20 April, 2010, 04:29:49 pm »
Will it work upside down ?

Anywhoo, I'm kinda thinking about getting a GSP not really sure what model to get yet. As it needs to compatible with Ubuntu and use free maps. The main reason to get one is that we are about to do some cycle touring in New Zealand and Australia.

I have looked at OSM and for NZ it is not very detailed yet, is the free Garmin map that you talk about on the other thread?
Anyone heard about and used NZ Open GPS Project ?

The main question which GPS have the best maps for cycling down under (NZ and OZ).
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: GPS Downunder
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:33:39 pm »
Maps in Oz are utterly crap compared to OS maps (apart from geological survey maps and online googlemaps; nearly all of Australia has been 'streetviewed'). Info on gradients etc is not easy to find.

A half-decent road atlas will do you for routefinding.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2010, 04:47:36 pm »
Remember that East is West down there.

Also turn the GPS off when you cross the equator, else it will meltdown.
It is simpler than it looks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »
Garmin Legend HCx and load it up with an OSM build.  There's folks here that can help you do that.

This is what I did when I went to WA for a couple of weeks last year and it was awesomely good.  Better detail than any local map I could buy and better than Google.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2010, 06:36:11 pm »
Garmin Legend HCx and load it up with an OSM build.  There's folks here that can help you do that.

This is what I did when I went to WA for a couple of weeks last year and it was awesomely good.  Better detail than any local map I could buy and better than Google.
Hmm must be NZ that is behind on the mapping with OSM.

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2010, 06:52:11 pm »
The main question which GPS have the best maps for cycling down under (NZ and OZ)

There's the device, then there's the mapping. In terms of devices, the Etrex HCx is great. I'd advise getting one well before you go so that you can play around with mapping, routing, and get to know the idiosyncrasies of the HCx.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2010, 06:54:31 pm »
Also turn the GPS off when you cross the equator, else it will meltdown.
So you don't get the nudie pictures like you do when you cross the prime meridian?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2010, 07:05:22 pm »
According to the OSM wiki for NZ, there's a current import in progress: WikiProject New Zealand - OpenStreetMap Wiki

..so depending on when you're going, OSM or this OpenGPS might be best.  Both are free. 

You can get OSM Garmin maps from OSM Map On Garmin/Download - OpenStreetMap Wiki or CloudMade Downloads
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2010, 07:08:59 pm »
I was hoping something would happen when I crossed the prime meridian the last two times and nothing happened :( Especially after I have heard all the stories my uncle told me about Line-crossing ceremony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, his crossings sounded well fun. But I think you have to be close to water before that happens not 10km up.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 20 April, 2010, 08:35:29 pm »
I recommend a mucky fumble in the bogs.  :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »
NZ has extremely good GPS mapping.

You can download it here - you need to download it to your PC then export it to your GPS using one of the Garmin compatible mapping programmes.

You can also buy Garmin mapping for NZ from Garmin and other retailers as well.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2010, 08:53:10 pm »
Thanks, that is a detailed map though I need to find out how to get that onto a GPS, this is all new to me. They are talking about LINZ format is that compatible to say Garmin ?

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:01:11 pm »
Im in Oz at the moment and just about any sub $100 car nav has au and nz street level mapping included. Tevion and Binatone (prob lots others) have active hacking groups (try gpsaustralia.net) - windows CE or WM OS. You can put GaminXT over  that and then DL .img (garmin format) street maps, bike tracks, contours. Spending a bit more - Garmin Nuvi (with street maps) ?$120 or for a lot more -  a handheld. I think only Oregon T has preloaded maps (for US). Ive cycled a bit in W au (Munda Biddy track) and in S Island nz on tar seal - done a fair bit of multi day walking there too. Tracks, shelters you can DL for garmin only