Author Topic: Garmin 705 for Dummies  (Read 5487 times)

hoppy1848

Garmin 705 for Dummies
« on: 23 July, 2008, 08:18:40 pm »
I don't want to keep asking basic questions, embarassing myself and wasting all your time.

And so, is there a book or web site out their which is an idiots guide to the use of the Garmin and its associated software.  For example, now that I have got it working- and what a nice piece of kit it is- I want to download routes including audaxes.  It came with City Nav Europe NT software software which seems fine, but is there even better at a reasonable price- for example I quite like the look of the software which shows gradients etc.

All all I need a quick injection of advice and if any of you are aware of a source aimed at the non informed then would be happy to hear from you.

Re: Garmin 705 for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2008, 08:26:02 pm »
Feel free to ask, I certainly don't hold back!

You really could do worse than start to read through some of the threads on this very forum - many of the replies contain really useful links, and it is not too large to browse through. I'd bet all your initial questions have been asked and answered herein already. You just need to put a bit of reading in.

A couple to start with - a general how-to and collection of useful links:

http://www.aukweb.net/services/gps1.htm

Look at Jo Wood's link in the above.

Loads of Audax routes:

http://www.danialwebb.com/

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2008, 08:28:28 pm »
The motionbased forums are the official Garmin forums and there's a LOT on there.

langsett

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2009, 05:31:23 pm »
hi
is there a site or software which shows the gradients in bar chart form? 

something like this?

Shap Fell - Grayrigg

Thanks

« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2009, 06:34:27 pm »
The easiest way to plot routes is to use bikehike.co.uk.  Read the help section, then open the course creator and plot away.  Tick the 'follow road in googlemaps' box (underneath the os map box) to make life easier.

When you've finished your route hit the download button and choose the gpxx format, not gpx. Give it a name in the name box, that is by default filled in with bikehike.  Save file onto your desktop.

Plug your 705 into your computer, browse 'my computer' and open the 'gps' folder in 'Garmin'. (your 705 should show up as Garmin) Drag and drop your gpxx files into that folder. 

Unplug 705, fire up, hit menu and choose 'where to?' option, then choose 'saved rides'.  The route you named should be there.  Click on it, choose 'navigate'.  The 705 will then spend a few minutes (sometimes 5!) calculating the route and will peep at you when ready.  Get on bike and follow the purple line!!!

Simple.

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2010, 07:54:47 pm »
A question that I feel I am looking in the wrong place but I want to print out the pulse graph from the 705 that showes up in the training center.

But there is no way of selecting the graph. and no print option in the training centre.

Do I have to down load the information to somewhere else to be able to print out the graphs.

Thanks

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2010, 06:57:23 am »
A question that I feel I am looking in the wrong place but I want to print out the pulse graph from the 705 that showes up in the training center.

Do I have to down load the information to somewhere else to be able to print out the graphs.

Sorted out  the file can be imported into a spreadsheet. the filtered and graphed,  a big file but doable.

Thanks

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2010, 11:32:57 am »
I bought the Garmin Edge 705 a month ago and think it is a great piece of kit! I have slowly gotten to know it over the last few weeks and on Saturday, used the navigation facility for the 1st time.
Although I have tracklogs mapping software, I plotted a route using Bikely, saved it as a GPX file and loaded it onto the edge.  The route was from my place to Wetherby.  The edge worked perfectly. Giving a loud beep when I needed to be aware of any turn I was approaching and gave clear instructions.
I also have an older model Garmin Legend. On the Legend you have the facility to do the route in the opposite direction,  i.e  get back to the beginning. I could not see how to do this on the Edge 705.
I loaded the route and tried to use the ‘back to the beginning’ option, but it did work seem to work.
Does anyone know how to use this option?

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:22:36 pm »
I think if you click on 'where to' in the main menu, there is a ' back to start' option that just sends you backwards down the track you will have just created.

Have only used it once, but it worked

« Reply #9 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:36:57 pm »
Sorry, I can't help with Steve's question, but it prompts me to ask my own ........

I used my Edge for an Audax on Saturday and although mostly OK, I found it annoying that at times the road junctions were obscured by the road name labels. (I should say that I was just following a track, not using the "Navigate" function.)

On my older Garmin (Map 60 CSx) there is an option to "Declutter" the map, which hides all the POI and road names info, so the roads are clearly visible. On the Edge however, I have to turn down the "detail" to "Less" or "Least" before the names go away, and at these levels, some of the minor roads also disappear.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hide the road name labels without losing the actual road detail?

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2010, 12:55:49 pm »
I think if you click on 'where to' in the main menu, there is a ' back to start' option that just sends you backwards down the track you will have just created.

Have only used it once, but it worked
Thanks for that. I may nat have been on the actual planned route when I tried it.

« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2010, 01:53:32 pm »
I don't know if that matters, Steve. I think it creates a track of what you have ridden, regardless of how that compares to the gpx route you may have asked it to navigate.

« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:02:39 pm »
Sorry, I can't help with Steve's question, but it prompts me to ask my own ........

I used my Edge for an Audax on Saturday and although mostly OK, I found it annoying that at times the road junctions were obscured by the road name labels. (I should say that I was just following a track, not using the "Navigate" function.)

On my older Garmin (Map 60 CSx) there is an option to "Declutter" the map, which hides all the POI and road names info, so the roads are clearly visible. On the Edge however, I have to turn down the "detail" to "Less" or "Least" before the names go away, and at these levels, some of the minor roads also disappear.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hide the road name labels without losing the actual road detail?

Not possible to hide the road names on the Edge AFAIK. If you zoom in further (to say 150/200m) the clutter should be less. Also, if you're just following a track with no prompting, it's perhaps better to use a TCX rather than the GPX. The line you follow is a lot easier to see. Lots of online tools will translate from GPX to TCX.

If you're a computer techy, the following might be of interest...

Are you using the OSM Munky maps?

If you're using the munky maps you can declutter the map of text by playing around with the TYP file. The TYP file is the style sheet for the map and includes attributes for all the lines, areas, colors and importantly here, label font sizes displayed on the map.

I build my own OSM maps (similar to Andy's) and have a TYP file that reduces the default font sizes and even hides text labels for certain map features. I did this specifically to declutter the 705 map display of text.

It should be possible to retro-fit this technique to the munky maps. I'm not sure of the exact steps for doing this, but I'd suggest:

• download GMAPTool
  • Use GMAPTool to split the munky GMAPSUPP.IMG into it's components (to a separate directory)
  • There'll be a file called munky.typ created along with all the IMG tiles etc.
  • Use this TYP online editor to adjust the munky.typ font sizes (and anything else!) to your liking: http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi
  • Use GMAPTool to join all the components back together into a shiny new GMAPSUPP.IMG (replacing the munky.typ with your new version, of course).

Obviously, if the munky map default TYP changes in a future GMAPSUPP.IMG download, you'll have to start again, but it proves the concept.

(The above could possibly work with Garmin City NT, but don't quote me on that and back up everything before attempting...)

Shaun

« Reply #13 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »
I use bikehike.co.uk - Home to plot routes and then download them as a gpxx file (NOT a gpx)  works fine and no clutter

« Reply #14 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »
*watches thread with interest*

Just ordered the Edge 705 and PowerTap SL+ bundle.

It comes with "European Road mapping on MicroSD card" but not sure how good that'll be. Not worried as I'd be happy with OpenStreetMap or even nothing given that I've been using a non-mapping GPS for years.

Does mean I now have 4 GPSes (Edge 705, eTrex, Forerunner 405 and an iPhone).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #15 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:50:46 pm »
The garmin maps are fine, never had any difficulty with them, and mapping gps's set to scroll track up are brill

« Reply #16 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:59:36 pm »
Not possible to hide the road names on the Edge AFAIK. If you zoom in further (to say 150/200m) the clutter should be less. Also, if you're just following a track with no prompting, it's perhaps better to use a TCX rather than the GPX. The line you follow is a lot easier to see. ........
That's interesting  - how is it easier to follow? Is it thicker? (I use TCX Converter to switch Edge files from .tcx into .gpx but haven't bothered doing it the other way around.)

If you're a computer techy, the following might be of interest... 
Whoa!! Very much appreciate your time setting this out, but that's all way above my head! I've heard of OSM and a clubmate uses it but I wouldn't have confidence that it had all the necessary roads in it for any Audax I entered.

Are you using the OSM Munky maps?
Sorry, no idea what these are!!

« Reply #17 on: 08 March, 2010, 06:52:46 pm »
Not possible to hide the road names on the Edge AFAIK. If you zoom in further (to say 150/200m) the clutter should be less. Also, if you're just following a track with no prompting, it's perhaps better to use a TCX rather than the GPX. The line you follow is a lot easier to see. ........
That's interesting  - how is it easier to follow? Is it thicker? (I use TCX Converter to switch Edge files from .tcx into .gpx but haven't bothered doing it the other way around.)

Yes, it's a thick pink line. (Note, if you navigate a GPX file you also get a thick pink line to follow).

I like TCX files also because they can include altitude data that can be displayed on the 705 as an upcoming terrain profile. I also find the TCX navigation mode less intrusive than the GPX(X) navigation mode because it will only beep if you go off route or if you explicitly put a coursepoint instruction in the TCX file (to match a routesheet instruction for instance). So there's a bit more control for some additional effort. I only put in coursepoints for explicit left / right turns and INFOs, not T-Juncs, SO at X etc. BikeHike will add course point turns to a TCX.

(TCX files do have a limitation however. Max. 100 course points per TCX file means having several TCX files for a 200km+ audax if you insert lots of your own turn indicators).

Try both a GPX(X) 'navigate' and TCX 'do course' and see which you prefer!

Shaun

« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2010, 07:35:01 pm »
I also find the TCX navigation mode less intrusive than the GPX(X) navigation mode because it will only beep if you go off

That's why I like gpx  ;)  (I need waking up at frequent intervals)

Try both a GPX(X) 'navigate' and TCX 'do course' and see which you prefer!

Very good advice

« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2010, 09:09:00 pm »
Thanks Shaun, I'll have a crack at that and see how I get on.