Author Topic: Deliveroo - anyone working for them?  (Read 20597 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Deliveroo - anyone working for them?
« Reply #25 on: 08 September, 2018, 09:37:36 am »
Junior at Edinburgh Uni has worked for them on and off for a few years.
Suited his lifestyle and needs.

Off topic, but a friend of mine paid his way through Uni at Edinburgh by pedalling a rickshaw. Lots of fat [nationality redacted] tourists paying big tips. He later won the Scottish hill-climb championship.   
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #26 on: 08 September, 2018, 09:56:35 am »
Crikey there's a thought. I'm currently booked in to deliveroo but would be tempted to give the rickshaw game a crack if I could make the hours work!

I'd hate to get a puncture while passengers were on board though.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #27 on: 30 October, 2018, 06:55:43 am »
Interesting to read this.

BTW anyone doing Deliveroo or similar can claim a chunk of bike costs against income tax:

https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/deliveroo-cycle-deliveries-allowable-expenses

[Ignore gammony comments and 'jokes']

« Reply #28 on: 30 October, 2018, 08:53:55 am »
There are quite a few videos on YouTube where Deliveroo riders have vloged their day. It looks like a lot of hard work and hassle, but can pay well if you're in the right town...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #29 on: 30 October, 2018, 12:05:18 pm »

« Reply #30 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:41:01 pm »
I despise Uber, Deliveroo et al for their shitty business model but, as the bottom continues to fall out of the corner of the cultural sector in which I operate, this is increasingly looking like something I need to look seriously at doing.

Anyone got any tempting referral codes?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #31 on: 31 October, 2018, 02:14:51 pm »
I despise Uber, Deliveroo et al for their shitty business model but, as the bottom continues to fall out of the corner of the cultural sector in which I operate, this is increasingly looking like something I need to look seriously at doing.
Better to be inside the tent pissing out?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #32 on: 31 October, 2018, 03:09:31 pm »
Slightly OT, does anyone else find it just a bit shit that someone as educated/qualified as Nikki should find herself forced to consider delivering takeaway food as a viable strategy for survival?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #33 on: 31 October, 2018, 05:17:47 pm »
Slightly OT, does anyone else find it just a bit shit that someone as educated/qualified as Nikki should find herself forced to consider delivering takeaway food as a viable strategy for survival?

Yes, it’s appalling. I could go on and on, but then we’d have to move the thread

« Reply #34 on: 31 October, 2018, 06:22:00 pm »

+1  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #35 on: 01 November, 2018, 12:27:00 pm »
It's been interesting observing and working through my various prejudices and assumptions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with takeaway delivery per se (although it maybe points to wider issues that are cause for concern), but I'm certainly pissed off that most of the 'opportunities' I'm seeing for professional artists - even ones that stipulate high levels of experience and quality - are remunerated on the basis that said arts practice is a hobby rather than a profession. That and how the gig economy, in all sorts of contexts, is shitting on workers big time; be it delivering takeaway food, the health service or in Higher Education.

Anyway, let's see if I can make enough money from lazy students[1] to supplement my income from gambling[2].

1 Lazy generalisation
2 Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England

« Reply #36 on: 01 November, 2018, 12:54:06 pm »
It pleases me that my futile efforts to become a multi millionaire are having some useful results , however meagre.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #37 on: 01 November, 2018, 01:37:02 pm »
Don't get me wrong, if it all went tits up I would certainly consider doing the same.

In the early 90s I worked in security - manned guarding industrial sites, key holding & mobile patrol - because it paid the bills.
VELOMANCER

whosatthewheel

« Reply #38 on: 01 November, 2018, 01:37:49 pm »
It's been interesting observing and working through my various prejudices and assumptions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with takeaway delivery per se (although it maybe points to wider issues that are cause for concern), but I'm certainly pissed off that most of the 'opportunities' I'm seeing for professional artists - even ones that stipulate high levels of experience and quality - are remunerated on the basis that said arts practice is a hobby rather than a profession. That and how the gig economy, in all sorts of contexts, is shitting on workers big time; be it delivering takeaway food, the health service or in Higher Education.

Anyway, let's see if I can make enough money from lazy students[1] to supplement my income from gambling[2].

1 Lazy generalisation
2 Supported using public funding by the National Lottery through Arts Council England

For as far as I can go back in time, that has always been the case in fine arts. every time a craft elevated beyond the basic, being that decoration becoming painting or plastering becoming sculpting, the work model has failed. Artists were supported by magnates and very seldom they made a good living simply by selling their work or their skills to the public.

I work in HE and have witnessed my pay suffering a 25% erosion of the past decade in real terms. Of course, I look at an estate agent or a car salesman, whose professional training can be measured in hours rather than years, earning more than me on a good month and think where the world has come to, but then I look back and I see that neither Archimedes nor Einstein were particularly wealthy and yet their name has outlived them, something that no estate agent has managed to do.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 01 November, 2018, 02:10:35 pm »
but then I look back and I see that neither Archimedes nor Einstein were particularly wealthy and yet their name has outlived them, something that no estate agent has managed to do.

At least not in a way that might be used in polite conversation...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #40 on: 01 November, 2018, 06:12:32 pm »
Words of advice from my tame Deliverooist....

Never order chips from Deliveroo.
They are a bunch of poor and hungry cyclists.
You'd notice a chomp out of your pizza.
But chips, not so much...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #41 on: 01 November, 2018, 07:46:32 pm »
They're much more likely to have a 'mechanical issue' and report it as a failed delivery*.

The order is resubmitted and another rider despatched . . .

*Allegedly
VELOMANCER

« Reply #42 on: 03 November, 2018, 08:36:59 am »
I've been signed up for a couple of months, worked in London (While I was there anyway) Birmingham (On a cheap train ticket) and locally in Derby.  I've only worked lunchtimes in London, they were very busy, with some of the drops not worth unlocking the bike for, no need to book, just just log in and work.  I'm not acclimatised to London traffic, I know some love it, but it leaves me frazzled.  The couple of evenings in Birmingham were OK, 16 orders over 5 hours on the best night, not really worth the hassle and expense of travelling, it's turn up and work which is why I did it.  In Derby it's hard to get the hours, they all have to be booked and those who've been at it a while get the pickings.  When you do work it's variable, I've done up to 5 orders in an hour but you can sometimes wait 30 min for something.  There's occasional bonuses when they're short of riders, you need to be ready to drop everything and go to take advantage of them.   I was made redundant a couple of months ago and was considering going part time and using this as a supplement, it'd be fine if I could be sure of 10 steady hours a week at suitable times, but so far that hasn't been the case.
There is a new player, new in Derby at least, that I've just applied for - Stuart.  Talking to another rider, they're offering a minimum hourly rate and at present all sorts of bonuses, though I wouldn't expect them to be long term.  Locally they seem to be dealing mostly with fast food, so the turnaround is faster than with some Deliveroo collections.  That's probably the biggest downside, you can be having a good run on a busy night, then find yourself waiting 20 min at Wagamama... 

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #43 on: 03 November, 2018, 11:06:33 am »
Sources tell me 'Stuart' are going to be major players.

Mega Global Big River deliveries.

'When' might be a moot point...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #44 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:46:43 pm »

Yes. Even more worrying that what they're offering could be even considered as a viable strategy for survival in the absence of an associated long-term career structure (speaking as an ex-motorcycle despatcher of the 80's).

Of course living in a land where fast food is still delivered on company scooters I may be divorced from reality!

Of course as Nikki says fine arts has historically only provided a living through patronage or teaching. Still true when it's supported by governments. Silly when one considers the colossal money spent on advertising projects,which are art dependant!

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #45 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:55:24 pm »
but then I look back and I see that neither Archimedes nor Einstein were particularly wealthy and yet their name has outlived them, something that no estate agent has managed to do.

At least not in a way that might be used in polite conversation...

Hotblack Desiato? Admittedly for entirely esatate-agent-unrelated reasons.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #46 on: 04 November, 2018, 08:58:04 pm »

Yes. Even more worrying that what they're offering could be even considered as a viable strategy for survival in the absence of an associated long-term career structure (speaking as an ex-motorcycle despatcher of the 80's).

Of course living in a land where fast food is still delivered on company scooters I may be divorced from reality!

Of course as Nikki says fine arts has historically only provided a living through patronage or teaching. Still true when it's supported by governments. Silly when one considers the colossal money spent on advertising projects,which are art dependant!
Plenty of fast food is still delivered on company scooters in UK too, particularly pizzas (Domino's, Pizza Hut and various local places). I doubt if their pay structure is significantly different from Deliveroo.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #47 on: 04 November, 2018, 10:19:51 pm »
Competent London based riders seeking work may wish to look at www.pedalme.co.uk over the coming months given the apparent success of their crowdfunding pitch!

« Reply #48 on: 06 November, 2018, 03:32:25 pm »
Having spent several days hitting refresh on calendars to book onboarding sessions, I eventually got a message that Deliveroo are not currently taking on new riders in Birmingham. I assume this is also why Uber Eats are not showing any appointment slots in their system.

I filled in the Stuart online application stuff at about midnight last night, and by about 2 o'clock today I was officially signed up. Just waiting for a gert big bag to get delivered to me, and then I'm off.

« Reply #49 on: 07 November, 2018, 12:26:38 am »
I filled in the Stuart online application stuff at about midnight last night, and by about 2 o'clock today I was officially signed up. Just waiting for a gert big bag to get delivered to me, and then I'm off.
I'm also waiting on a Stuart bag, I'll see how it compares with deliveroo (The job, not the bag).  I've been delivering today and was talking to a Stuart rider, he'd started an hour after me, done about a third less orders and we were coming out with around the same money.  I didn't mind the extra orders, I'd rather be moving than standing around, but at least he knew the minimum he'd earn tonight when I had no idea.  As it turned out it was really busy for the first three hours, all simple jobs, no waiting and the collections reasonably close the the previous drop, then it went dead and I had three jobs in the last two hours... All in all I'm quite enjoying it, though I'm hoping not to have to rely on it as a primary source of income for too long.