Author Topic: Latest start to complete a 100km ride before midnight  (Read 6172 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Latest start to complete a 100km ride before midnight
« Reply #25 on: 21 December, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »
and note that I am ignoring relativistic effects
Oh dear  :facepalm: Schoolboy error!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

dim

« Reply #26 on: 21 December, 2017, 01:47:05 pm »

Also, you ideally want the headwind to happen while you're climbing, as you'll be travelling at a lower speed and less affected by it.

Are you sure?
Headwind on the climb means you'll be in it for more hours, going very slowly (relative to the ground, but quicker relative to the air), then you'd have tailwind on the descent when you don't need it!
If I had the choice I'd go for for tailwind on the climb / headwind on descent to even my speed out.  Would be faster overall

I agree 100% ....

a course/loop is much easier with the wind behind your back on the steepest hill sections .... then downhill into the headwind.

I have several regular routes that I ride, and I ride them both clockwise and anti-clockwise

I record all my rides (not commuting) on a Microsoft Access Database and I record info such as wind speed, wind direction, heartrate, cadence, ave speed, elevation etc etc

and the results always show that I am faster on the same routes (with similar wind speed and direction), when I do the steepest parts with a tail wind.

A pretty nifty database .... I check the wind speed and direction, and I can filter previous results based on the info, then choose a route for either a fast time, or a slower/ harder training ride
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #27 on: 21 December, 2017, 06:07:01 pm »
"A pretty nifty database"
Please allow me to add my admiration to that of those silent dozens who have read your post.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 21 December, 2017, 06:43:49 pm »
Please allow me to add my admiration to that of those silent dozens who have read your post.
+1

(sometimes silence doesn't mean indifference - it's cos we're lost for words :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

dim

« Reply #29 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:09:42 pm »

Yea .... I never went to posh school and don't think in English .... it's ghetto talk from South Africa  8)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 22 December, 2017, 07:19:50 am »
Regulations state that AUK events are cycle rides.  So I suspect a pedalo might be ruled out as it is not a cycle. 

That said, I don't think its been tested and so I would suggest someone seeks clarification from the relevant AUK official.

Of course, a scuba mask and a cycle might be possible, but I suspect completing the ride within time limits might be challenging.

Kiribati is on the international date line. It's quite small so you'll need a very meandering route to avoid loops.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #31 on: 22 December, 2017, 07:56:00 am »
I’m too full of manflu to think this through sensibly(!) but what it you were at a pole? How would that work?

John

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #32 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:44:58 pm »
The event used to start it at 00:01 ...  Don't tell anyone, we actually set off at 00:00.

It was set up that way originally because various people including the then Events Sec and the then Brevet Cards Sec could argue round in circles for hours about which is correct, 24:00 or 00:00.
(And, before the same happens here, Wikipediea seems to think that either is acceptable - even quoting legal documents that support both usages.)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #33 on: 22 December, 2017, 06:59:26 pm »
Just a general guideline ...

If you are cycling from a point, and ending at the same point, (i.e. in a loop), the elevation gain will be the same as the elevation downhill. If there is headwind for half the way, there will be tailwind for the other half, so it balances out

depending on your fitness, you should finish a 100km ride in under 4 hrs (25 Km/hr) if you dont stop to rest for a lengthy period, and assuming you have no mechanical issues / punctures etc ...

obviously, if you are fitter, you will finish much sooner, but when I plan a new ride, I estimate the time based on 25 Km/hr .... if I finish sooner, it's a bonus
(my bold)
gosh, thanks, I hadn't realised I was unfit.  It's nothing to do with the world being designed for the average bloke or anything.
your new word for today is 'androcentric'
[possibly a bit unfair I am a tad cheesed off with various things at the moment]

and I don't understand the OPs question either.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #34 on: 24 December, 2017, 10:19:21 am »
If it wasn't an Audax   there are riders who could do it starting at 2130 (1730 if it was me).
The 30km max speed for Audax makes the question pointless as plenty of strong riders can average faster.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 24 December, 2017, 10:50:04 am »
For a standard 1% climbing 100km audax-style ride I'd assume about 20kph rolling average, plus faffing time (which can be almost nothing for 100km).  I might end up a little faster if the weather and traffic are good.

For touring pace I assume 10mph overall average, including food stops, mechanicals, stopping for photos, checking maps, etc, etc.  Over a long enough distance, it's freakisly accurate.

I've averaged significantly more than 20kph a handful of times.  All were on short rides, and with various degrees of cheating.

But then, I'm unfit.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 24 December, 2017, 03:28:33 pm »
<snip>
depending on your fitness, you should finish a 100km ride in under 4 hrs (25 Km/hr)
<snip>
(my bold)
gosh, thanks, I hadn't realised I was unfit.  It's nothing to do with the world being designed for the average bloke or anything.
[possibly a bit unfair I am a tad cheesed off with various things at the moment]

I think it's a valid criticism - but please cheer up soon Ara, it's Christmas :)

I doubt dim meant anything, it's just lazy phrasing. The loaded "should". There are two general meanings of the word:
- you are obliged to do thing X. or
- I predict that you will do thing X.
Presumably in this context, the former cannot be the intention. SO dim is predicting that riders will do the thing he has described.

In which case I'd say he's made a huuuuge generalisation,. Does the writer know all his readers? Or all cyclists?

I'd say he clearly doesn't - there are millions of people on this planet who could not ride 100km in 4 hours. So what use is this statement?

And then of course there is the strong implication that you just aren't fit if you fall below this standard. You should train more (or smarter?), eat properly, etc. Get fit, you lazy so-and-so!

<ok, I'm probably a bit grumpy too ... I need to eat another cold pig-in-blanket ... nommm ... >
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

dim

« Reply #37 on: 24 December, 2017, 05:18:26 pm »
<snip>
depending on your fitness, you should finish a 100km ride in under 4 hrs (25 Km/hr)
<snip>
(my bold)

I think it's a valid criticism - but please cheer up soon Ara, it's Christmas :)

I doubt dim meant anything, it's just lazy phrasing. The loaded "should". There are two general meanings of the word:
- you are obliged to do thing X. or
- I predict that you will do thing X.
Presumably in this context, the former cannot be the intention. SO dim is predicting that riders will do the thing he has described.

In which case I'd say he's made a huuuuge generalisation,. Does the writer know all his readers? Or all cyclists?

I'd say he clearly doesn't - there are millions of people on this planet who could not ride 100km in 4 hours. So what use is this statement?

And then of course there is the strong implication that you just aren't fit if you fall below this standard. You should train more (or smarter?), eat properly, etc. Get fit, you lazy so-and-so!

<ok, I'm probably a bit grumpy too ... I need to eat another cold pig-in-blanket ... nommm ... >

LOL ... I did not mean to offend anyone .... I was a bit baffled by the OP's question .... one should know how long it will take (approx) to ride 100km, based on your own fitness ...

I gave an example of 25km per hour based on the speed that I normally ride .... there are guys who I follow on Strava who average 30 Km/hr on rides over 135 Km long.

« Reply #38 on: 24 December, 2017, 08:37:44 pm »
I just want to know what 'seriously JPO' means.