Author Topic: A day under the river  (Read 7325 times)

Re: A day under the river
« Reply #25 on: 09 September, 2008, 11:00:37 pm »
They even have Inergen gas delivery systems installed to use in case of an electrical fire to flood small areas like switch rooms, in addition to the massive sprinkler system. I thought that was quite impressive high tech safety stuff to help protect from possible fire. Would allow evacuation while the fire was suppressed without need for close up fire fighting?

Very clever I thought.

Much of it struck me as being both clever and simple.
What's the score with Inergen when there are oxygen breathing humans present?

« Reply #26 on: 09 September, 2008, 11:04:20 pm »
Tinfoil.

Puddle iron actually  ;)

So, in a way, to say that each gate has more steel than the Eiffel tower is true as it is not made of steel.

« Reply #27 on: 09 September, 2008, 11:12:44 pm »
Between you, me and the gatepost there was no great secret from both of our guides / hosts that when asked questions they were unable to answer they'd make stuff up  :D.
Most of what I have written has been gleaned from somebody else. Who could've also made it up - but I trust they haven't  ::-)

Hilarious was the answer, when someone asked the question "What's in the pipe marked Hydrant?"
It is, apparently, a special type of gas.....

velocipede

« Reply #28 on: 09 September, 2008, 11:21:59 pm »
It seems from my googling research and adding a bit of physiology that the Inergen is Argon, Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide.
It is designed to reduce the atmospheric oxygen to low, but not unsurvivable levels for oxygen breathing humans. It contains more CO2 than air, thus stimulating increased depth and rate of respiration to compensate for the reduced oxygen levels necessary for fire suppression.

I would imagine it might convert tackling the fire escapes into attempting the hilary step, but would still be breathable, and allow escape whilst suppressing fire.

They seemed to only have it hooked up to the switch rooms with big doors on, to keep it confined: maybe thats where all the BIG fuses lived?!

« Reply #29 on: 20 September, 2008, 09:27:20 pm »
Each of the big (61m span) gates has more steel in it than the Eiffel Tower...

The whole of the Eiffel tower only takes 40 tonnes of paint. It took 8000 tonnes of iron to build the whole thing.

So I reckon that says a lot for M. Eiffel.
I recall from somewhere that if you took the metal in the Eiffel Tower and melted it down into a pool that had the same footprint as the tower, it would only be 6cm deep. I think I need to verify this one !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #30 on: 20 September, 2008, 09:32:07 pm »
Each of the big (61m span) gates has more steel in it than the Eiffel Tower

Still can't get my head around that. Especially as the gates are hollow.