Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2460493 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5050 on: 11 January, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »
How well does it work in practice? I had one in India and have ridden bikes with stands in Poland, as you say they're useful. Particularly in Indian cities where bikes park in rows like cars.  :thumbsup: But I found they take some setting up to get it so the bike balances on the stand.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5051 on: 11 January, 2012, 07:17:50 pm »
How well does it work in practice? I had one in India and have ridden bikes with stands in Poland, as you say they're useful. Particularly in Indian cities where bikes park in rows like cars.  :thumbsup: But I found they take some setting up to get it so the bike balances on the stand.

Mine is fitted exactly as Clarion's in the picture and is very stable, it can hold the bike upright with about 50kg in the rear panniers!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5052 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:02:55 pm »
I have a similar propstand on my Dawes do-everything tourer.  Works okay unless there's a lot of poorly-distributed weight in the front panniers.  Combined with the flat surface of the Topeak rear rack gives a convenient mobile cake-table:

Our tandem-shaped-object also has a chainstay-mounted propstand.  As you'd imagine, it's fairly rubbish.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5053 on: 12 January, 2012, 11:44:42 am »

Mine is fitted exactly as Clarion's in the picture and is very stable, it can hold the bike upright with about 50kg in the rear panniers!
I think mine was a little higher, more in line with the chainstay. Maybe I'll have a peek at yours at the next Brizzle get together! Mind you there's no real need cos:

I have a similar propstand on my Dawes do-everything tourer.  Works okay unless there's a lot of poorly-distributed weight in the front panniers.  Combined with the flat surface of the Topeak rear rack gives a convenient mobile cake-table:
A flat-topped rack on its own makes a sufficient surface for cake and tea with the bike leant against a wall, I've found.  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5054 on: 12 January, 2012, 02:15:35 pm »
A flat-topped rack on its own makes a sufficient surface for cake and tea with the bike leant against a wall, I've found.  :thumbsup:

But what if there aren't any walls?  What then?  You might have to go cakeless!

« Reply #5055 on: 12 January, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »
The Rohloffed tourer with the Kinesis fork off my newer bike. It looks a lot better on this bike than it did on the other (IMO) and it's transformed the ride compared to the Kona P2 previously fitted.

12-01-12 Tourer DC19 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

I'll post a picture of the other bike with its new fork in due course.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #5056 on: 12 January, 2012, 07:17:15 pm »
The Rohloffed tourer with the Kinesis fork off my newer bike. It looks a lot better on this bike than it did on the other (IMO) and it's transformed the ride compared to the Kona P2 previously fitted.

The ride would be transformed even further if you fitted some pedals
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #5057 on: 12 January, 2012, 11:24:15 pm »

One of the benefits of clip on/clip off pedals.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #5058 on: 13 January, 2012, 07:05:38 am »

One of the benefits of clip on/clip off pedals.

???  How do those work then ?  Can you post a photie ?
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #5059 on: 13 January, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »
I can't take a picture atm but here's a (random) link to the clip-in pedals that I've got:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-mm-cube-ezy-removable-pedals/

What that picture is missing is the plastic circlip that prevents the pedal coming off the bike when you unclip from it.
There is a push fit collar like an air-hose fitting on the bit that attaches to the crank and the pedals clip on and off.
I've also got a pair of flat pedals that I use when I'm out shopping or going to the pub. It takes about 30 seconds to change them over.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5060 on: 13 January, 2012, 12:55:19 pm »
So you can change from clipless to flats in the blink of an eye. Well, maybe two eyes. That's quite cool.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #5061 on: 13 January, 2012, 07:43:16 pm »
Mmm, fascinating.  Whatever will they think of next ?
Aero but not dynamic

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #5062 on: 16 January, 2012, 09:38:33 am »
Those look really smart for those who take their bikes by air a lot..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5063 on: 16 January, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »
I can't take a picture atm but here's a (random) link to the clip-in pedals that I've got:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-mm-cube-ezy-removable-pedals/

How clever is that? I've (now, only) got 5 bikes, including a tandem. As I can only ride one of them at a time, I always have 5 pairs of pedals (4, when I'm being stoked on the tandem) too many*. If I could easily move one pair among the bikes, I could save some money.

Unfortunately, at £27 just for the adapters, I'm not sure the savings are there to be had yet.

(*I guess this applies to a lot of the shared components on a bike**. I survived with one saddle among several bikes for a while, until the faff v my salary ratio tipped the other way. But I don't know of any method similar to this one which would make those other components easily transferable between bikes.)

(**Yes - I know it applies to bikes as a whole too, but I'm not interested in that debate. Having had more, and fewer in the past, I can categorically state that 5 bikes is one too few.)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5064 on: 16 January, 2012, 05:05:51 pm »
Looks like a copy of this one,which is the most popular stand in the states
http://www.greenfieldny.com/chart_bicycle.htm

My Ridgeback in a badass urban setting (well, somewhere amongst the public schools near Dulwich Park ;D )

No, the tyres aren't flat - there's a concrete barrier in between.

harvee

« Reply #5065 on: 25 January, 2012, 08:11:02 pm »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75174611@N02/6761846743/in/photostreamhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/75174611@N02/6761838975/in/photostreamhttp:/
A link to some pictures of my bike. It is a Holdsworth Cyclone 1951/2. It has a set of fixed wheel tubs but for daily use I have moved wheels,  cranks and bottom bracket across from my other bike. It was £20 in a car boot sale

« Reply #5066 on: 26 January, 2012, 12:34:11 am »
Nice Holdsworth Harvee  :thumbsup:

Relayer

« Reply #5067 on: 26 January, 2012, 04:09:52 pm »
Hello YACF, thought I might join you, here (hopefully technology allowing) are my current bikes ...

Mercian Audax (dry weather bike)

Thorn Raven Sport Tour (all weather runabout)

Cannondale MTB (sadly under abused)

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #5068 on: 26 January, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »
Please please tell me how you manage to Audax without getting wet? (Audax dry weather bike)

Nice bikes all of them. You've kitted them out well to my mind. Mmm honey and green.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5069 on: 26 January, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »
Mmm honey and green.

Honey and green, you say.  O:-)   By summer matching bar tape will be added.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

harvee

« Reply #5070 on: 26 January, 2012, 07:35:45 pm »
Thank you.
I am trying to post the actual pictures but to no avail.

« Reply #5071 on: 26 January, 2012, 09:39:21 pm »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75174611@N02/6761846743/in/photostreamhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/75174611@N02/6761838975/in/photostreamhttp:/
A link to some pictures of my bike. It is a Holdsworth Cyclone 1951/2. It has a set of fixed wheel tubs but for daily use I have moved wheels,  cranks and bottom bracket across from my other bike. It was £20 in a car boot sale.
Thank you.
I am trying to post the actual pictures but to no avail.

Like this ?

Actions > All Sizes > choose one. Then right click for properties.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5072 on: 27 January, 2012, 07:25:49 am »
And what might this be ...?

Surely not another bike???

Stood next to the box is The Current Mrs R, chuffed isn't she?  ;D

The bike (more details to follow during the fettling process, which has already become protracted), is a folding bike.  Thus, I have no idea why it was shipped unfolded in a fooking massive box!  I had it delivered to TCMR's sandwich shop and it was so big it couldn't be put out the back and had to stay where is was dropped by the delivery bod, where it prevented the shop door from opening fully.  I then persuaded the sainted TCMR to collect me from the station so we could drive over to the shop and collect it.  TCMR found the whole episode lots of fun.  The bike is now on my work stand in the lounge so I can fettle it in the warm. 

Does anyone have any spare Brownie points?  Mine seem to be all used up.  TCMR would like a new husband, one that isn't an obsessiveness cyclist  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5073 on: 27 January, 2012, 07:32:00 am »
Get a new bike for TCMR.
Then you'll have n+2 & TCMR-1.
Not a bad swap
 :demon:

only joking of course.Some of our SWMBO are rather  O:-) don't you think.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5074 on: 27 January, 2012, 07:34:11 am »
She wouldn't thank me for a new bike.  She already has two and a stoker seat!  You're right, being a cycling wife widow must have it's challenges!