Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2459540 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8000 on: 30 January, 2016, 03:29:31 pm »
It has returned: the Dream that I bought for its groupset and wheels to adorn my Klein, and then sold.  Now bought back and cobbled together with various bits, including an Ultegra front brake with insufficient drop to clear the tyre, which is odd.

« Reply #8001 on: 30 January, 2016, 11:01:01 pm »
A honorary appearance of mrs ao's bike, from this pm, which was the first 'just the two of us' ride for years...

Raleigh Classic lady. circa 1985. 27x11/4 wheels, and original 'grab-on' - remember that?  ;)

P1020770 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8002 on: 31 January, 2016, 11:08:34 am »
Remember it? I know someone who orders it in lengths for cutting to measure from Germany on ebay!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8003 on: 07 February, 2016, 04:52:13 pm »
red cable outers and bar tape added yesterday on upgrading the shifters

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8004 on: 13 February, 2016, 07:29:23 pm »
I've been meaning to take a couple of pictures of the Kinesis GF Ti - all dressed up and ready to go! Recent wheel build with the, very small, Shutter Precision SV-9 built to a Kinlin 31T rim with 24 radial spokes at the front and a Hope RS with 28 2x spokes and offset rim at the rear. Getting a bit concerned about drivetrain life in the recent weather, but rides really nicely.

Finally got some sunshine, as well. Roll on March 25!

Mike

« Reply #8005 on: 14 February, 2016, 08:00:53 pm »
And more sun today, mixed with the snow of course

Samuel D

« Reply #8006 on: 14 February, 2016, 10:58:19 pm »
Getting a bit concerned about drivetrain life in the recent weather, but rides really nicely.

What’s the drivetrain and why is it causing concern? Just curious.

Another thing I’m curious about: I notice both of your bicycles have front lamps mounted quite high. Do you not like the fork-crown position?

« Reply #8007 on: 15 February, 2016, 05:01:21 pm »
Getting a bit concerned about drivetrain life in the recent weather, but rides really nicely.

What’s the drivetrain and why is it causing concern? Just curious.

Another thing I’m curious about: I notice both of your bicycles have front lamps mounted quite high. Do you not like the fork-crown position?

Drivetrain is Shimano 6800, but after several late night rides on salted roads, and no cleaning, the cassette and chain had some very light rust spots. I've just added some lube and cleaned it up and it'll be fine I think. Obviously, both are consumable items.

The lights are on the bars as the fork mount position on the red bike has been obstructed with brake cables and a canti uphanger and on the silver bike I just prefer to leave the brakes and guards set as they are. They catually work well from the bars or the fork, and one advantage is that I can adjust the angle easily whilst riding with them on the bars. Cyo Premium and Edelux 2 - both work very well.

Mike

« Reply #8008 on: 16 February, 2016, 07:39:02 am »
My Condor Fratello.  Brooks has since been swapped for a Selle Anatomica in order to get the saddle further back.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #8009 on: 20 February, 2016, 11:06:03 am »
It is N+1 Day. A fully loaded flat bar belt driven commuter is about to be collected. Pictures will follow.  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8010 on: 20 February, 2016, 11:17:09 am »
Looking forward to seeing it
Getting there...

« Reply #8011 on: 20 February, 2016, 11:22:34 am »
tease
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

tonycollinet

« Reply #8012 on: 21 February, 2016, 09:24:55 pm »
OK, Here you go...

It is a lot prettier in daylight without the distracting kitchen diner in the background, but it's been pissing down with rain all weekend.

Integrated stand mount

Sliding dropout to tension the belt AND to open the triangle to allow belt to be fitted.

Hub dynamo and lights

Belt driven - no oil, no mess. We'll wait to see how long the belt lasts.

« Reply #8013 on: 21 February, 2016, 09:45:45 pm »
very nice :thumbsup:

I like Cubes, I've had a few of their mtbs over the years. They always give you a lot of kit for the money. That looks more than suited to the job. If you're not taking into work, get a shit hot lock or two!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

tonycollinet

« Reply #8014 on: 21 February, 2016, 09:50:27 pm »
Agreed - this is incredibly well fitted out for the money, especially on the B2W scheme.

Fortunately the bike sheds are behind some good security fencing. I still lock it though.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8015 on: 22 February, 2016, 09:10:15 am »
Nice.
Getting there...

« Reply #8016 on: 22 February, 2016, 09:21:03 am »
Very nice, interested how you get on, it's close to my idea of what a commuter should be. Carbon fork would be nice, and a security front skewer, but that last is easily fixed.

tonycollinet

« Reply #8017 on: 22 February, 2016, 08:46:03 pm »
Well apart from a puncture 3rd ride out (and consequent walk to work) it is very very nice. The belt drive is incredibly smooth - and I'm liking the effect of the big tyres also.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #8018 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:46:03 pm »
Just finished building her  :)

Raleigh side by William McFadden, on Flickr
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Samuel D

« Reply #8019 on: 22 February, 2016, 11:49:42 pm »
My kind of machine, vantage. Good job. I hope the maiden voyage went well.

« Reply #8020 on: 23 February, 2016, 12:04:36 am »
Is that a rear mudguard on the front ?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8021 on: 23 February, 2016, 12:58:50 am »
Hmm... Wondered where I'd seen that before.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #8022 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:24:15 am »
That's uncanny! Right down to the clamp on pulley for the front mech. Wonder if John got his frame from the same eBay seller as me?

Maiden voyage was constant stops and tweaks and there's now a shorter stem on it, but I have to say it's a lovely handling bike  :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

vantage

« Reply #8023 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:26:28 am »

Sure is! Same seller was flogging a set of 10 without stays or fittings for 15 quid and I thought why the hell not  ;D
It helps keep the crap off the headlights and my face. Dunno why mudguards are so stupidly short.
Bill

« Reply #8024 on: 23 February, 2016, 09:09:54 am »

Sure is! Same seller was flogging a set of 10 without stays or fittings for 15 quid and I thought why the hell not  ;D
It helps keep the crap off the headlights and my face. Dunno why mudguards are so stupidly short.

I like the idea of that.  The f.'guard on my condor snapped just at the bridge and I've not got round to replacing it yet. Loads of spray comes off.
Did you have to bodge the front most stays to fit on the (rear side of fork) eyelet ?
Cleaning time by sg310, on Flickr