Author Topic: Garmin, Wahoo - what do you think of yours and what does it do?  (Read 7930 times)

I'm looking at getting a new GPS.  I don't know whether a new Garmin or a Wahoo would best meet my needs, or if none of the new ones do what I want.  Would be great if you have either a modern Garmin or a Wahoo (or other GPS) and could tell me if it does what I am looking for.  All the product info and reviews don't really answer this.

I have simple needs: what I want a GPS to do is:
- display a route as a line on a screen
- display ideally 4 data fields on the same screen as the map.  This might be time of day, distance, elevation, etc.  For racing it would be power / average power. 
- Ant+ so it can connect with my power meter and HRM.
- have a reasonably long battery life and be capable of being recharged on the go.
- not crash on a regular basis (705 seems more reliable than more recent Garmins)

I don't want it to do things like re-route if I get lost, have touch screen operation rather than buttons, Strava segments, social media stuff, virtual partners, mobile phone integration, speed sensors, cadence sensor, etc

I currently use a Garmin 705 which is almost 10 years old.  I'm conscious that it won't last for ever.  I actually have three as I've bought a couple of spares second hand.  They do exactly what I want. However they have become unreliable for charging on the go.  They all now tend to flip into data mode when I connect them, even with wires and batteries that used to work in the past.   

For all rides up to 300km this isn't an issue.  My workaround on a 400 the  other week was just to use two units and swap them over at half way.  That worked fine.  I could repeat that, having one in use and one in a bag recharging, but it is not very elegant, hence the question. 

I've actually bought a new Garmin 1030 but am thinking of sending it back as it doesn't seem to allow me to have more than two data fields on the map screen so has inferior relevant functionality vs the 705 - but I may be missing something. 

People rave about Wahoo but I don't know what they do / how they work.

So does your device do what I am looking for - breadcrumb trail to follow, 3-4 data fields Ant+ and recharge on the go?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Garmin, Wahoo - what do you think of yours and what does it do?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2019, 09:24:03 am »
I can't speak for on the go charging but the Wahoo definitely does the rest. Plus most of what you don't want it to do.

I've had mine for sometime now and it hasn't let me down

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2019, 09:35:23 am »
I have a Lezyne Super GPS (not the latest one, but the model before that). The battery life is really good, and it does loads of what you want, but you can't get the breadcrumbs and data fields on the screen at the same time. I don't know if the newer Lezyne ones can do that - they have bigger screens (but that might cost battery life).

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2019, 09:55:36 am »
I moved over to the Elemnt Bolt about a year ago, after a succession of issues with various Garmin devices. I'm very happy with the reliability and performance of the Bolt. I generally have the breadcrumb view displayed, with 2 or 4 data fields (I'm still undecided which is my preference; more map displayed or more data). I have the backlight set to come on automatically, so in the dark the map is still visible. This doesn't seem to have much impact on the battery life. I can generally do a 200km with 35-40% battery remaining. For 300km and upwards I tend to charge from a battery pack whilst stopped to top up the battery, but could charge directly from the dynamo.

Although you can connect the Wahoo directly to RideWithGPS, this does mean you get all your routes on the device. I prefer to keep the routes on the device to a minimum, so I don't connect directly, just upload each TCX or GPX individually, and remove the route once ridden (except for my favourite rides that are ridden on a more regular basis).

With the Garmin, I would carry a spare device to cover any issues that arose. With the Wahoo, I haven't yet thought that necessary, even for a recent 1000km event. The phone would be a sort of backup device.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2019, 12:57:11 pm »
Wahoo seem to have the charge on the go thing sorted, though it is a standard non-waterproof micro-USB connector I've had the Elment on charge in the wet without it dying like my Garmin and Lezyne did... actually the Lezyne died on a very wet day with the port exposed because their stupid hard rubber bungs fall off (see also why I'm never buying a Lezyne light again)

The only Garmin I've heard "good things" of with charge on the go is the new one with the Garmin proprietary in mount connectors; given my experience of these connectors on the Fenix and Forerunner watches, and X camera is not good (they corrode a bit and need a clean, the cable connector loses it's spring etc.) I'm dubious of their long term life.

Bonus review...
I'm currently using a Navic20 (€40 from Bike discount) as a back up GPS; it's just a track logger with info display so doesn't do devices or mapping; and you can only access the data through the phone app... And you have to download them regularly or the app is at risk of crashing
Battery lasts 30 hours rather than the claimed 50 and charge on the go seems to be hit or miss.
I've used a recording from it once due to human error on the wahoo...
I only bought it because I wanted a cheap back up recorder that wasn't my phone, it just about managed the job but I wouldn't recommend it.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:07:03 pm »
Probably want to move this thread to the GPS sub board

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2019, 01:16:34 pm »
So does your device do what I am looking for - breadcrumb trail to follow, 3-4 data fields Ant+ and recharge on the go?

My eTrex 30 (which seems to be the point where Garmin got the hardware right, before losing the plot in later models) has served me well, but fails on your requirement for a power meter (it speaks Ant+, but only understands HRM, temperature sensors and the cadence half of combined speed/cadence sensors).

Breadcrumbs, 4 fields on the map screen (5 if you've got auto-routing turn directions), no problem.

I've only ever experienced crashes when auto-routing gets confused by some map quirk, or when the MicroSD card has come loose because the flap wasn't properly shut.  The latter is bad design, as it's easy to dislodge it when changing batteries.

Battery life is in the 24 hour region with decent NiMHs.  AA cells mean recharging on the go (and associated waterproofing) is a non-issue.

My main complaints are auto-routing related (it's been dumbed down since the Vista HCx), and that it doesn't understand cadence from a discrete cadence sensor (important when your cranks are nowhere near your wheel).  The Mini-USB connector is a bit long in the tooth now that everything else takes Micro or C.

Since I've been doing racing, I've seen the advantage of the Edge series' manual start-stop paradigm.  For all other real-world use (eg. audax), the outdoor models' always-recording approach is more failsafe.

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2019, 02:51:35 pm »
Garmin Edge 1030 with Garmin external battery. It's been pretty flawless so far.

I don't know about data fields + map on one screen - I prefer to have more data fields and get the Garmin to follow the route rather than myself.

Ben T

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2019, 03:02:42 pm »

My eTrex 30 (which seems to be the point where Garmin got the hardware right, before losing the plot in later models) has served me well, but fails on your requirement for a power meter (it speaks Ant+, but only understands HRM, temperature sensors and the cadence half of combined speed/cadence sensors).

Breadcrumbs, 4 fields on the map screen (5 if you've got auto-routing turn directions), no problem.

I've only ever experienced crashes when auto-routing gets confused by some map quirk, or when the MicroSD card has come loose because the flap wasn't properly shut.  The latter is bad design, as it's easy to dislodge it when changing batteries.

Battery life is in the 24 hour region with decent NiMHs.  AA cells mean recharging on the go (and associated waterproofing) is a non-issue.

My main complaints are auto-routing related (it's been dumbed down since the Vista HCx), and that it doesn't understand cadence from a discrete cadence sensor (important when your cranks are nowhere near your wheel).  The Mini-USB connector is a bit long in the tooth now that everything else takes Micro or C.

Since I've been doing racing, I've seen the advantage of the Edge series' manual start-stop paradigm.  For all other real-world use (eg. audax), the outdoor models' always-recording approach is more failsafe.

Really, mine lasts a lot longer than that.
Do you have the backlight on full brightness constantly?

I didn't change mine during a 600 this year, so they last at least ~34 hours (which is net of hours off while asleep).
I do only use the backlight at night at have it on minimum brighness which imho is enough.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:05:28 pm »

I love my wahoo. First trouble I had was on RatN when it decided to throw a hissy fit on the last day. I think this may be cos it was slightly damp when I plugged in the cable. Once the battery fully ran down, I charged it up again, and it was fine. I do have a second device tho, which is going to be useful on TCR. I just need to get them both setup the same.

I only have 2 data fields on the map display (speed and cadence), as I want more map.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:21:24 pm »
I have Etrex 20 which again is probably 10 year old tech.

I like its battery life, getting up to 800km off a single set of rechargable AA's.  In a pinch I can pop into a shop or garage and get spare AAa's.  But carrying one spare set of AA is usually enough backup for the rides I do.

I like that it can load custom maps and I exclusively use my own crafted OSM maps for all the countries I use it in.  Bit of setup work but now less than 15 mins work to update the mapping to the latest updates.

The Etrex does not crash and the only thing I need to be aware of is the 10,000 point limit for tracks.  But that is just part of my routine now and adds barely minutes to the workflow when creating a route, then track.

I have not seen routing on a GPS that is any good over anything more than short hops.  I do all my routing online and the GPS just has a dumb track line on the map.

I like that it can do waypoint alarms so I do not ride past a place I need to or want to do something.  I like the fact it can be silent the rest of the time.

The screen can be hard to see in bright sunshine.  I tend to only have at most one data field showing on the map screen and that is usually the time.  This will be down to the fact that I need reading glasses these days and the GPS is in the mid distance reading glasses zone. I wear my distance glasses on the bike. 

The etrex 20 doesn't do heart rate, but if I want that I'll sometimes put my old Edge 500 on the bars as well to talk with my Polar H10 chest strap. (it talks both Bluetooth and Ant+)

I'd love something with a phone sized screen, if the battery life was good, it was robust, and it didn't look and feel like a brick.   Ideally I think I'd like something with a e-ink display as they are great in bright sunshine. Plus ability to talk blueooth and ant+.

« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:23:15 pm »
I moved over to the Elemnt Bolt about a year ago, after a succession of issues with various Garmin devices. I'm very happy with the reliability and performance of the Bolt. I generally have the breadcrumb view displayed, with 2 or 4 data fields (I'm still undecided which is my preference; more map displayed or more data). I have the backlight set to come on automatically, so in the dark the map is still visible. This doesn't seem to have much impact on the battery life. I can generally do a 200km with 35-40% battery remaining. For 300km and upwards I tend to charge from a battery pack whilst stopped to top up the battery, but could charge directly from the dynamo.

Although you can connect the Wahoo directly to RideWithGPS, this does mean you get all your routes on the device. I prefer to keep the routes on the device to a minimum, so I don't connect directly, just upload each TCX or GPX individually, and remove the route once ridden (except for my favourite rides that are ridden on a more regular basis).

With the Garmin, I would carry a spare device to cover any issues that arose. With the Wahoo, I haven't yet thought that necessary, even for a recent 1000km event. The phone would be a sort of backup device.

Interesting, thanks.
Wahoo seem to have proliferated their number of devices with the new Roam coming in to confuse things!
The eternal dilemma is the trade-off between amount of map and data! How much map do you get on the Wahoo if you have 4 data fields?  The pictures I have seen only ever have two, and they seem to have massive font.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:24:12 pm »

Interesting, thanks.
Wahoo seem to have proliferated their number of devices with the new Roam coming in to confuse things!
The eternal dilemma is the trade-off between amount of map and data! How much map do you get on the Wahoo if you have 4 data fields?  The pictures I have seen only ever have two, and they seem to have massive font.

Gimme ten mins, lets see what I can break^Wdo

J
--

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:34:09 pm »
I have a Garmin 810 which I got off Facebook Marketplace for £110.

I have simple needs: what I want a GPS to do is:
- display a route as a line on a screen
- display ideally 4 data fields on the same screen as the map.  This might be time of day, distance, elevation, etc.  For racing it would be power / average power. 
- Ant+ so it can connect with my power meter and HRM.
- have a reasonably long battery life and be capable of being recharged on the go.
- not crash on a regular basis (705 seems more reliable than more recent Garmins)

It does all of these things. I have had one crash in my 400 days of ownership but it didn't lose the ride.

The app is crap for making routes and the in-built navigation is basic, but I have a system for sending routes from komoot onto it fairly quickly so that side of things isn't so bad.

The GPS with navigation (no backlight) is good for about 130-150km rides in terms of battery, so anything longer I top it up with a powerbank. There is space enough on the garmin mount I have from Planet X to put the power cable in while it's mounted, though I wouldn't want it like this in the rain.

All told I'm fairly happy with it but wouldn't buy one new.

EDIT: it only permits showing 2 fields in the map view. This includes power average, over 3, 10, 30 seconds, and a bunch of other options. The other number can be what you want.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:35:29 pm »

Map is zoomed out, else it would be showing where my flat is, but it conveys the relative amount of screen space in both setups.

J
--

« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:55:17 pm »
Thanks - that looks ok

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2019, 06:08:18 pm »
Battery life is in the 24 hour region with decent NiMHs. 

Really, mine lasts a lot longer than that.
Do you have the backlight on full brightness constantly?

No, but I use the Ant+ sensors, and (for screen visibility on a recumbent) tend to use follow-road navigation on the audax/touring rides where I pay any attention to battery life.  It certainly uses less power if it doesn't have to keep recalculating routes.  But I get 3 days of touring out of it, and the battery lasts longer than I do without sleep, so who cares?

« Reply #17 on: 19 June, 2019, 01:48:37 am »
Unfortunately all the recent Garmins will only allow 2 additional selected fields on the map page (at the bottom) plus the optional next turn field (compound field called "Guide Text" with short name, turn type symbol and distance countdown) at the top of the page.

I remain (mostly) happy with my 520 but many are not, two weeks ago I might have looked seriously at the new 530 but there has been an outbreak of poor software quality observations regarding it.

« Reply #18 on: 19 June, 2019, 08:26:29 am »
Thanks everyone for advice: Wahoo Elemnt ordered and Garmin 1030 returned.

The Elemnt Roam doesn't seem to be available so went for the original one as it has slightly bigger screen than the Bolt.  TBH the new functions the Roam has aren't important to me so no point in waiting.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19 on: 19 June, 2019, 11:06:53 am »
Unfortunately all the recent Garmins will only allow 2 additional selected fields on the map page...

I've seen a picture of an Etrex 35 with 4 data fields at the top of the map.

ETA:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 19 June, 2019, 11:26:07 am »
I found an Etrex 35 to be quite difficult to get along with. Garmin eventually replaced it with an Etrex 30, at my request.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 19 June, 2019, 12:01:25 pm »
Unfortunately all the recent Garmins will only allow 2 additional selected fields on the map page...

I've seen a picture of an Etrex 35 with 4 data fields at the top of the map.

I assume LateStarter's falling into the increasingly common cyclist trap of assuming that the Edge series are the only Garmin products that are suitable for use on a bike.  I blame their marketing.

« Reply #22 on: 19 June, 2019, 12:07:36 pm »

I assume LateStarter's falling into the increasingly common cyclist trap of assuming that the Edge series are the only Garmin products that are suitable for use on a bike.  I blame their marketing.

I find a common problem when trying to buy something from companies which make multiple products, as many do, is trying to work out which one best meets my needs.  Garmin is not alone in not making this easy for the keen but confused customer, but is certainly bad at it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 19 June, 2019, 12:12:08 pm »
I find a common problem when trying to buy something from companies which make multiple products, as many do, is trying to work out which one best meets my needs.  Garmin is not alone in not making this easy for the keen but confused customer, but is certainly bad at it.

Quite.  Honourable mention to Abus for making it unclear which bike lock I bought.  Two similar models, very vague about what the difference is.  Multiple browser tabs and deductive reasoning required.

« Reply #24 on: 19 June, 2019, 12:43:29 pm »
British Leyland were amongst the pioneers of this approach.  My parents have never properly articulated why they bought an Allegro rather than a Marina in 1975