Author Topic: Carradice SQR Slim for Commuting  (Read 9386 times)

Carradice SQR Slim for Commuting
« on: 28 March, 2012, 10:07:51 pm »
Does anybody use the SQR Slim (or the Tour or Trax) for commuting ? is is possible to take a pair of trousers and a shirt in it and for them not to look like you've slept in them afterwards ?

I can't get on with a rucksack, my bike doesn't have any rack mounts and I don't really want the expense and bother of fitting a rack if I don't have to.

Re: Carradice SQR Slim for Commuting
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2012, 10:48:19 pm »
I can't answer your question fully, because I don't dress smartly for work, but I think that, beacause of is shape, the SQR Slim would be the one to get. It should be much easier to pack folded clothes. Put them in last, on top of everything else. For what it's worth, I find that shirt collars are the problem. Far too easy to squash.

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2012, 11:00:37 pm »
Thanks.

Looking on another forum (after I posted here), it seems fairly common and the solution to the wrinkled clothes is to pack them seperately into something like an "Eagle Creek Fold-It" system. There was even a comment about using one of those rigid, clear plastic filing boxes that are about A4 size, so I may get the Slim and give that a go (not wanting to spend £30 if I don't have to).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2012, 09:15:13 am »
I use one of these for commuting

It's a Carradice Super C on a SQR bracket.  It is big enough to take a laptop and a change of clothes.  I normally roll shirts that I'm taking in the saddlebag to prevent creasing.  When I used to change at the office there was enough room to leave a weeks worth of shirts there.  It's a massive bag, 23 litres vs the 16 litres of the SQR Tour.  I have an SQR Tour also.

Another tactic I've heard of people using is to use dry cleaners.  Have several shirts and leave the ones you aren't using at the cleaners.

« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2012, 09:07:48 pm »
Thanks Vorsprung, I may look at that one as well. I'm also considering dropping my shirts and a pair of trousers off on a Monday and taking them all back on the Friday. It would actually be pretty easy for me to do it as for other reasons I typically have to drive in on Monday and Friday anyway.

It will probably the best option and maximise the opportunity to cycle home the long way on evenings like tonight without being loaded down.

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »
I used to use an SQR with a Barley bag, but didn't like it because unless the bag's bulging, the rear light is pointing downwards.  Now use a Bagman (with the quick release thingy, which takes the cost from not much to a lot) which lines everything up spendidly.  And the Bagman attaches to the saddle rails, rather than the seat pin, so I'm (maybe dangerously, views please?) using a carbon seat pin.

As far as folding goes, I think the trick is to fold carefully, pop the clothes in a neat pile in a thick plastic bag and put the bag on top of everything else.  Get changed while you're still a bit warm (but have stopped sweating) and your body heat will sort out any creases.  Pack immediately before you get on your bike, not the night before.

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2012, 02:35:28 pm »
When I still had a commute I used an SQR slim as you are thinking. A pair of Chinos and a work shirt folded round a cardboard former were fine. When I needed to carry a work laptop it went in a small backpack

As long as you don't want to do the supermarket shop on the way home it's fine.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »
Now use a Bagman (with the quick release thingy, which takes the cost from not much to a lot) which lines everything up spendidly.  And the Bagman attaches to the saddle rails, rather than the seat pin, so I'm (maybe dangerously, views please?) using a carbon seat pin.

I've been using a Barley/Bagman combo on a carbon seat post for a couple of years at least.In that time I've ridden 5x200km & at least as many 100km audaxes in addition to other rides.
My view is that my saddlebag carries approx 5kg for a 200km audax.Add my approx 95kg weight & the total is less than many heavier riders I've witnessed using a carbon seat post.

I have however NEVER fitted an SQR bracket to a carbon seat post.

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2012, 05:11:00 pm »

I've been using a Barley/Bagman combo on a carbon seat post for a couple of years at least.In that time I've ridden 5x200km & at least as many 100km audaxes in addition to other rides.
My view is that my saddlebag carries approx 5kg for a 200km audax.Add my approx 95kg weight & the total is less than many heavier riders I've witnessed using a carbon seat post.

I have however NEVER fitted an SQR bracket to a carbon seat post

Exactly my thinking and exactly my thinking.  When do we start our affinity group?

« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2012, 06:01:05 pm »
I did have an SQR on a carbon post. The post survived that but broke due to a speed bump in Wandsworth being vicious when I hadn't had the SQR on it for quite a while.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2012, 07:18:20 pm »

I have however NEVER fitted an SQR bracket to a carbon seat post

Exactly my thinking and exactly my thinking.  When do we start our affinity group?

Great minds think alike :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 02 April, 2012, 11:08:40 am »
I did have an SQR on a carbon post. The post survived that but broke due to a speed bump in Wandsworth being vicious when I hadn't had the SQR on it for quite a while.

I suppose that supports my understanding of carbon's behaviour after it's been stressed in an unexpected way/by an unexpected amount: sudden catastrophic failure at some undeterminable date in the future.  D'you think that might be what happened to yours, or was your speed bump enough to break anything?

Kind of makes you wonder how there's a secondhand market in carbon bits.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #12 on: 02 April, 2012, 11:18:34 am »
I'm using a new Camper Longflap and QR expedition. I can get shirt, trousers, shoes and waterproof and my tools spare batteries inside easily. I fold my shirt like when you buy a new one then roll in with chinos (I don't put these into the bag until I'm ready to go though). I did notice a bit of black had come off the inside of the bag onto the collar of my shirt today.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 02 April, 2012, 11:44:41 am »
Following the off-topic excursion, Moulton's designer uses and recomends SQRs on their carbon posts. I've used one in that application for several years and I weigh a noticeable amount. The clamping and bending moment applied by an SQR fitting is trivial compared to that of the seat clamp.

Obviously a superlight seatpost is only designed to be clamped at specific locations and an SQR would not be appropriate but otherwise I'd not be concerned, as long as your bolts aren't trying to drill holes in the post.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 02 April, 2012, 01:05:25 pm »
I got a nice carbon bike for PBP
It came with a carbon seatpost

I removed it and fitted a Ti one as I was using an SQR

« Reply #15 on: 29 July, 2012, 11:45:30 am »
Hi! I want to commute with a small laptop on a giant tcr 0 road race bike. I'm a bit worried that my legs will hit the SQR Tour. Will the slim be the best bet does anyone think?

Cheers!!

« Reply #16 on: 29 July, 2012, 03:18:44 pm »
I'm watching the telly now, and Marianne Vos is racing on a Giant frame. There is no way her legs, or heels could come into contact with either an SQR Tour or a Slim, as they mount quite high up on the seatpost under the seat. Those clever people at Carradice designed the things so they don't interfere with pedalling. I toured Scotland on an old carbon race bike a few years ago using a Tour and can't remember my legs hitting the thing (or even getting close to doing so).
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Bossk

• We don't need their scum
« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2012, 10:39:24 am »
Hello chaps. I'm about to embark on a slight tour in September, it will only be 75km per day over three easy days with a time trial in between. I will be riding my time trial bike, (sans aero wheels of course) travelling as light as possible, with a mahoosive bag, a frame mounted bag (if I can find one) and hopefully a saddle bag, now my frame is full carbon, seatpost is aero so my ortlieb saddle bag may be out of the question.. Are there any large bags that would be safe-ish? (bearing in mind it will only be 3-4 very easy days of loaded riding, and then never again would I treat my tt bike in such a fashion)

Thanks.

Your friendly second rate bounty hunter