Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391199 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #375 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:23:51 pm »
So I have been told previously.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #376 on: 09 October, 2012, 12:34:43 am »
Note for the RRTY award, for a ride spanning months, it can count for either month, but not both. And you should do at least 200km in the month you want it to count for.

« Reply #377 on: 09 October, 2012, 06:59:13 pm »
Note for the RRTY award, for a ride spanning months, it can count for either month, but not both. And you should do at least 200km in the month you want it to count for.
Are you quite sure about that?
Quote from: MemSec in topic Round the Year Randonneurs Log, Reply #734
I've been giving some thought to RRTY and LEL.

LEL will count as a July 2013 qualifying ride for the RRTY.  That means that you have to be thinking about riding a 200 some time during August, which might be a struggle, both physical and mental.  As it is, I usually find August a difficult month in which to complete a BR, what with Marple Grimpeurs, holidays, etc

I suppose if you use the full time available for LEL, it would be possible to complete at least 200km of LEL during August.  If you can provide me with suitable evidence, such as a photocopy of your brevet card, I might consider LEL as an August 2013 qualifier for RRTY, but you certainly wouldn't be able to count LEL for both July and August - it's just one ride.

Does that sound fair?
To me this suggests that Mike is proposing a special exemption for LEL, not that any BR that spans a month end can count towards RRTY for the second month (if at least 200k ridden in the second month).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #378 on: 09 October, 2012, 08:02:35 pm »
See the RRTY FAQs: http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/rrtyfaqs.htm#FAQ12
It specifically refers to a 600 starting in one month and finishing in the next, but it presumably applies to other distances.

« Reply #379 on: 09 October, 2012, 09:02:11 pm »
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about Mike's FAQs. So Mike's reference to LEL that I quoted merely suggests that the same flexibility will apply to LEL as on a 600, not that LEL will be a special case. Sorry I doubted your post!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #380 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:25:54 pm »
Even if all but one second of it was actually completed in the new season?

Yes.  RRTY is one thing, but the AUK 'season' is quite another.
Any ride (event or permanent) has a 'date' - which is the date the ride is scheduled to start - and that determines which season it falls into.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #381 on: 10 October, 2012, 05:22:19 pm »
Even if all but one second of it was actually completed in the new season?

Yes.  RRTY is one thing, but the AUK 'season' is quite another.
Any ride (event or permanent) has a 'date' - which is the date the ride is scheduled to start - and that determines which season it falls into.

The cut off for BRM 400km qualifiers for PBP was Saturday 4th of June 2011
The Avalon Sunrise started at 10:30pm Friday the 3rd of June
Despite only having an hour and a half of a potential 27 hours before cut off at midnight Friday, it still counted

« Reply #382 on: 12 October, 2012, 08:41:35 pm »
Do Bank of Scotland ATMs generate receipts with the branch, time and date (like Barclays ones do)?

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #383 on: 03 November, 2012, 01:19:56 am »
I understand that the Audax runs from begining to end of year memership wise, before I submit my application is it worth me waiting till January?

Thanks in advance

Martin
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #384 on: 03 November, 2012, 04:37:33 am »
From the membership application form:

At the moment the membership fee includes the remainder of this year for free.

Martin 14

• People too weak to follow their own dreams, will a
« Reply #385 on: 03 November, 2012, 08:53:41 am »
From the membership application form:

At the moment the membership fee includes the remainder of this year for free.

Thank you, thats me joined up then :)
People too weak to follow their own dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours

« Reply #386 on: 15 November, 2012, 09:17:06 am »
Any plans to allow entry of perms by Paypal?

The route sheet and info controls (and electronic brevet if required) could be sent by email, which would leave the issue of brevet card as the main obstacle?  However, with the price of stamps increasing we find postage (3 * 50p) is £1.50 compared to event itself costing usually £3. PoP could be scanned and emailed back to organiser.

Already in the pipeline?

« Reply #387 on: 15 November, 2012, 04:32:09 pm »
Depends on the organiser. If they've got an email address, it's worth asking.

(I know MemSec does)

Hillbilly

« Reply #388 on: 25 November, 2012, 08:06:56 am »
Any plans to allow entry of perms by Paypal?

The route sheet and info controls (and electronic brevet if required) could be sent by email, which would leave the issue of brevet card as the main obstacle?  However, with the price of stamps increasing we find postage (3 * 50p) is £1.50 compared to event itself costing usually £3. PoP could be scanned and emailed back to organiser.

Already in the pipeline?

You are mixing up two things.

Some organisers will accept paypal but you have to sniff them out as per boab's reply.  I'm an example, but currently need a pdf scan of an entry form, not having a fully integrated electronic entry system.  This reflects that, in accepting PayPal, I am generally doing the rider a favour rather than it being a "standard" approach facilitated by AUK.

The PoP idea isn't possible at the moment as I/we require a signed brevet card, as per the regulations.  In one or two cases, an organiser has been permitted to accept gps tracklogs, but this remains rare.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #389 on: 25 November, 2012, 11:25:46 am »
The (new, now current AFAIK**) Regulations - no longer make any mention of brevet cards.  All you require is 'proof of passage'.

** whether they are current as of the date of the recent AGM, or as of some later date (Handbook publication?) - I don't know.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #390 on: 30 December, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »
The (new, now current AFAIK**) Regulations - no longer make any mention of brevet cards.  All you require is 'proof of passage'.

** whether they are current as of the date of the recent AGM, or as of some later date (Handbook publication?) - I don't know.
Ah - the AGM that wasn't quite.

For practical reasons it was proposed from the chair of the meeting - and agreed by all present, that the gathering at Llandrindod Wells would be treated as an AGM, but would be rattified at the earliest practical date.

This date would be the next scheduled board meeting. And nothing would be added or omitted.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #391 on: 30 December, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »
So what actually happened - or not - at this mythical AGM and why (not)?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #392 on: 30 December, 2012, 08:11:33 pm »
The AGM wasn't quite within AUK's rules because the printers did not distribute Arrivée in good time.
It was decided to accept the meeting despite this.

« Reply #393 on: 30 December, 2012, 08:56:47 pm »
I see, thanks.

« Reply #394 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:48:07 pm »
Doing a 600k before having done a 400k. Bad idea?

The events in question fit better location/date wise in my run up to LEL, will be doing a 300k (my second) about 6 weeks before the 600k, with the 400k following a month later with some 100s and 200s dotted around.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #395 on: 03 January, 2013, 06:43:31 am »
Doing a 600k before having done a 400k. Bad idea?

The events in question fit better location/date wise in my run up to LEL, will be doing a 300k (my second) about 6 weeks before the 600k, with the 400k following a month later with some 100s and 200s dotted around.

It depends on the 600k but I would suggest that this distance is easier (than a 400) for moderate paced riders as it allows for a sleep and time off the bike along the way - especially with early start times (e.g. 6am). 400s generally tend to have later start times with target finish times during daylight hours.

H

« Reply #396 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:04:57 am »
Was thinking the BCM. Hilly but I've heard it's more long drags you can get a decent rhythm on than sharp shocks.

« Reply #397 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »
Well that's my entry ready to go in the post. Funny that last year I didn't enter as thought there was no way I'd manage it and here I am entering it as preparation for LEL.

Not that I'm sure I can do either but I'll give it my best shot.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #398 on: 03 February, 2013, 11:45:39 am »
Hi, I notice looking at AUK's calendar events that some brevets are Brevet Randonneur and some are brevet randonneur des Mondiaux.

Googling about and looking at the FAQs here I can see that they are organised by different bodies but are there any other discernable differences between BR and BRM events?  It looks to my untrained eye that BRM events tend to be more arduous but I cannot see anything else obvious.  I may think about entering a BRM event and wouldn't want to inadvertently screw up and break some rule that I'm unaware of.

Cheers.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #399 on: 03 February, 2013, 11:56:54 am »
Hi, I notice looking at AUK's calendar events that some brevets are Brevet Randonneur and some are brevet randonneur des Mondiaux.

Googling about and looking at the FAQs here I can see that they are organised by different bodies but are there any other discernable differences between BR and BRM events?  It looks to my untrained eye that BRM events tend to be more arduous but I cannot see anything else obvious.  I may think about entering a BRM event and wouldn't want to inadvertently screw up and break some rule that I'm unaware of.

Cheers.

Rough difference is that with BRM there is no extra time allowance for the over-distance.  So you get 13hrs and 40 mins (from memory?) to ride a 200 - whether that 200 is 205km or 220km on the road - makes no difference.  Whereas BR - you will get an extra however many minutes/hours to cover the over-distance.

So BRM is a little more stringent - but nothing to be worried about unless you are at the slower end of the scale.

BRM events are important for qualifying for many continental events (such as PBP, where your SR needs to be BRM).

In non-PBP years, fewer rides will be BRM (because it costs a little extra to have it validated by ACP). 

It's one of those weird anomalies that probably at some point needs to disappear. 

Really - don't worry about it unless you are really at the back end of the field.  Once you finish, your results on the AUK website will have the ACP brevet number next to it.  That's all.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!