Author Topic: 3 months on the wagon... what do I drink?  (Read 4545 times)

Re: 3 months on the wagon... what do I drink?
« Reply #25 on: 03 February, 2010, 11:19:59 pm »
I've never drunk alcohol, though it's not a big deal for me.

At my first cycling club dinner, in my teens, someone introduced me to blackcurrant and lemonade. Not that innovative, perhaps, but it's been my favourite ever since.

« Reply #26 on: 04 February, 2010, 01:12:03 pm »
1 month in I'm  getting by on...

Soda and Lime
Tomato Juice with Worcestershire and a big squirt of fresh lime
Strong Ginger beer and... lime :-\
Becks Blue
Cobra 0%
Tesco's Fizzy Elderflower

It's OK, just no longer certain life's worth living anymore... :(

On the plus side, I'm sleeping better and I'm clearer headed during the day, I've broken the daily wine habit, I'm no longer it's slave.  These things are good.  I've not lost weight though, in fact I've gained  :'(

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #27 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:13:21 pm »
I don't want to hijack this thread, but there are possibly only a couple of YACFers who could come close to my alcohol consumption over the last 20 years.
:-[
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #28 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:47:03 pm »
There's a great drink here in Germany called Bionade, BIONADE. Welcome

It's really nice, not too sweet. I had a couple of cases at my birthday for when I wanted to stop drinking beer. I don't know if it's available  in the UK but worth keeping an eye out for

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 06 February, 2010, 09:44:12 am »
Oddly enough I found the best alcohol alternatives whilst we were in.....Australia!

As others have said, lime and lemon with a splash of Angustura bitters (actually available as pre-mixed in bottles and cans over there) or, to me, the best is Bundeberg Ginger Beer.  Absolutely nothing like the Idris stuff you get here, this is proper stuff, refreshing and doesn't burn your tongue or throat.  Bundeberg is available over here, if you know where to look (I tend to buy it by the case from Costco)

Good luck FF, keep it up.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 07 February, 2010, 08:23:56 am »
The troubles with alcohol-free lager are (1) it costs as much as the real stuff; (2) there is usually a lingering vegetable aftertaste and (3)  you can swig it at some prodigious rate because there is no alcohol in it.

It is difficult; coke and orange juice both destroy the enamel on your teeth in all-night quantities.   Tea is probably best if you can get them to make a decent cup.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #31 on: 07 February, 2010, 09:14:26 am »
On the plus side, I'm sleeping better and I'm clearer headed during the day, I've broken the daily wine habit, I'm no longer it's slave.  These things are good.  I've not lost weight though, in fact I've gained  :'(
The calories you save from ditching the alcohol are just supplied by all the sugar in many of the substitutes.  Tomato juice is OK- but J2O- how sweet is that stuff- yuk.  I tend to go for cordial/soda mixes.  But cordials can be quite sugar heavy especially if you use them in high concentrations.  I drink low calorie bitter lemon or tonic water with lots of lemon slices (and ice in summer).   I guess all that sugar substitute screws something up as well, though.
But best of luck FF

« Reply #32 on: 07 February, 2010, 10:01:25 am »
I do like tomato juice but I rarely drink it as it contains a shocking amount of salt.

I've been having half'n'half soda and ginger + a splash of angostura bitters (I had no idea the latter contains alcohol until reading this thread).