Author Topic: A '70's Coffee memory - is the like still available?  (Read 3399 times)

A '70's Coffee memory - is the like still available?
« on: 31 December, 2011, 11:11:09 am »
Probably not one for the officianados of the bean, but waaaay back in the early/mid '70's when I worked in Waitrose, there was a (Lyons?) coffee available in a tin. The terms Blue Mountain and "after dinner roast" come to mind, as does the presence in the blen of figs. I didn't have mush of it, but I recall that I very much enjoyed what I did have! Is there anything similar around now, or does it count a adulterated '70's rubbish that has been consingned to the bin of history?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: A '70's Coffee memory - is the like still available?
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2011, 11:15:41 am »
Jamaica Blue Mountain is available , but rather expensive.    The last time I had (Viennese) coffee with fig essence I ended up glued to the loo..... possibly an entire pot was too much.... :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2011, 08:34:44 pm »
The Co-op have an 'After dinner roast & ground' coffee in their Fairtrade range.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ian

« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2012, 04:59:47 pm »
This is Viennese (style) coffee – it's the fig – and I can imagine it being mighty popular in the 70s. After, was there ever a biscuit more exotic than the fig roll? Not since Garibaldi patented his process for embedding dried fruit into layers of cardboard, had such a marvellous, cosmopolitan confection entered into our teatime retinue.

In Vienna, they sprinkle some kind of fig dandruff on top of normal coffee (generally topped with cream beforehand), before demanding an implausible number of euros in return.

Anyways, Sainsbury's still sell Viennese-style coffee replete with figgy flavouring if you are after a fix. Alternatively, dunk fig rolls in normal coffee. As per the usual dunking methodology, at some point a substantial part of fig roll will defect to your beverage.