Author Topic: Free Kitten to good home.  (Read 48690 times)

loafheads

Free Kitten to good home.
« on: 04 August, 2011, 12:44:24 pm »
He is a rapidly growing kitten, more like a teenager by now, who is looking for a good home.

Would anyone want to adopt this neglected little boy? I thought he was ferrel for a few months now but I just found out he has an owner. The owner told me he is out of town often for 3 days or more and the cat just lives outside anyways. At first he was really skittish but now he is friendly and talkative. The cat is really skinny and he is always starving when I feed him. He feels so thin and boney and his belly is always empty. He is friendly with our cat and the rest of the neighborhood cats. Always tries to play with them and is very cute. He was often really dirty and covered in soot and car oil. A local vet offered to get him neutered for free as he is about 8 months to a year old. He is energetic and likes to be active as most young cats. He craves love and attention.
The owner told me that he would like someone that can give the cat proper love and care.
If you know someone that is a good cat person please PM me.

here are some photos and a video of him playing with a catnip toy.

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=27271501&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=27271501&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Photographing cats is really hard.

border-rider

Re: Free Kitten to good home.
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2011, 12:49:00 pm »
<Paging TimO, Paging TimO>

That's a lovely cat. I hope someone does take him on.

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2011, 04:05:05 pm »
Well, I'm currently mid kitten adopting (probably), and was intending at some point to look for another cat/kitten.

It would obviously complicate things for me, since I'd have to deal with two cats, and they'd have to be kept apart, at least initially.

It would also help (and not just me, but any other potential adopters) if we had at least a vague idea of location!

If he's entire, and hasn't been neutered, then that'll need to happen pretty soon, since an entire male cat will be very smelly, very fast!

Personally I wouldn't leave a cat to fend for itself more than a short while.  Talisker, when he was younger, used to occasionally be left for a couple of nights by himself (ie from one evening to the morning of the day after that next day), but that was left with access to the house via the cat flap, and a very big bowl of dried cat food and water, as well as a bowl of wet cat food immediately before he was left.

He looks to be long(ish) haired, so should probably be brushed a bit daily, otherwise his fur will likely get matted, and need to be cut off (slightly amusingly, one of the local cat bods, who has  a feral cat colony, has to essentially have the long haired cats shaved almost bald, once a year, since it's not possible to brush them, and being elderly cats, they aren't really as capable of looking after their own fur as a younger cat is!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2011, 04:53:47 am »
Awww he's lovely, never seen a cat with those patterns. He looks almost as furry as Frankie.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »

He's moved into my bathroom, but hasn't left the cat carrier yet.  The image above shows about as far as he's come out, when I've seen him anyway.

He's got dry cat food, cat milk, and water, but seems content to just curl up at the back of the carrier.  I think he's just a bit shell shocked by the change of scenery, and the travel across London.

He seems happy enough, but I'm not about to drag him out of the carrier, I'll try and let him come out at his own pace.

Unfortunately, he's booked into to see the vet tomorrow morning,at which point he'll have to come out, but aside from that, I'm trying to leave him alone.

More photos when he's feeling a bit more photogenic.

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2011, 11:41:36 pm »
Yay, another thread of cute kitty picks  :thumbsup:

Welcome to Tim's new Feline Overlord.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2011, 11:56:42 pm »
Wow, I didn't realise that TimO was starting the YACF cats' home  :D

He's about five times the size of our little one, who currently has no fear, so I expect that long-term they may get on well.

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2011, 11:59:28 pm »
Minky wasn't much bigger than Madam is when we got her. Latched onto our huge, fluffy, friendly cat Simpkin immediately, and then they became inseperable. Hopefully these two will be the same.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2011, 02:19:05 am »
Awww he's lovely TimO, you're going to be occupied full-time being cat slave to TWO kittehs!  Hope he feels safer and more able to come out soonest.  You'll probably find Madam up here much less wary and much more pouncy (and sharp!). :)

« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:23:16 pm »
He went to the vets this morning, which was obviously another bit of a shock to him, especially with one enthusiastically friendly dog sitting a few feet away (but the owner did try and keep him from shoving his nose right up to the cat carrier).  With a bit of smoothing, and scratching around the neck he relaxed a bit, and stretched out a bit in the carrier, rather than scrunched up as small as he could at one end.

The vet checked him over, and judged him to be in good health,  He's probably older than he looks, he reckoned about four to five years old, which I guess was based on the wear on his teeth.  It was clearly a bit of a guess, so there's probably a lot of potential variation.

He had the first of his vaccination jabs, and has to go back, for the second one, in three to four weeks.  He's booked in to be neutered on Monday, and they'll also chip him then as well.  He's not going to like it when I take his food and drink away on Sunday evening!

When I took him back home, he was clearly happy to be back, after only having been there for 12 hours or so.  It was probably relief that something else horrible and unexpected wasn't going to happen.

He has taken to hiding under the radiator, and behind the towel rack, which is fair enough.  He does come out from there quite fast when I appear, so he's getting used to me.  Hopefully he'll get more relaxed.  I need to find some other stuff to put in the bathroom for him to sleep on and poke around.  Unfortunately he's going to get a bit bored for a few weeks. :(

I've got a pile of flea treatment, and a worming pill.  I've had practice giving pills to cat with Talisker, hopefully it'll be as easy with this one (I know, I'm being optimistic!).  I haven't given him the worming pill yet, since he hasn't eaten much yet, and I don't want him to throw it up.  I think he ate a little of the chicken Encore (wet) cat food which I put down earlier.  With a bit of luck he'll have chomped his way through something by the time I get home.  He must be getting a bit hungry, since he won't have had anything for over 24 hours by that point.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:29:27 pm »
I've got a pile of flea treatment...
That is going to take a microscope and a very steady hand to apply.  Not sure I'd care enough about its wellbeing to get that close to a flea's a**e...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

loafheads

« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2011, 02:41:30 pm »
That's great TIm.  One of my cats will fight till death not to take a pill.  I've had lots of practice with the others but he just won't do it. I got a pill gun from the vet and it makes the whole experience last only 5 seconds.  It is less dramatic for the cat and my hands. Im glad he is getting used to you. He always runs to you very excited when he sees you coming.

http://www.discountpetmedicines.com/buy/pill-gun.htm

« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2011, 03:26:31 pm »
I managed to get a few shots this morning, before I took him to the vets.

This is where he seems to be hiding away, when I'm not in the room with him.  He's had to reverse out, because he can't turn in that space (although he tried!).  I've pulled the towel rack a little further out so that he can turn around now.

Just lying down, and relaxing.  He manages to stretch out a long way, as do most cats, when stretching after a snooze.

... and a couple of shots with him actually looking at the camera, which is hard to get when you're trying to hold a camera to your eye, and adjust the zoom, and hope that the autofocus doesn't decide to play silly buggers etc

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 10 August, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »
Looks like he's had a decent break at last :)

Interesting that he's a bit older; he's quite "pretty" for an intact Tom.

What's his name ?

« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2011, 03:39:14 pm »
I'm calling him Kai, since I needed a name for the Vets!

Absolutely no prize for anyone geeky enough, who can guess what I'm going to call the (female) kitten, if you can do this without using Google!

(Actually a quick Google suggests that even with it, you won't be able to guess!)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #15 on: 10 August, 2011, 04:00:35 pm »
Xev or Lyekka?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16 on: 10 August, 2011, 04:12:12 pm »
Boshed?

« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2011, 04:22:19 pm »
Xev or Lyekka?

Valiant wins!  Impressively fast. ;D

Actually I'm going for Zev.  Both spelling were used in the series, the Zev spelling with the first actress (Eva Habermann) who played that part, and the Xev spelling with the second actress (Xenia Seeberg).  I think I'll have less problems with the Z spelling than I would with X.  Kai and Zev are unique enough that it's unlikely they'll be confused with all the Fluffy's and Fuzzy's. ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2011, 04:24:51 pm »
If only their colours were reverse, so Kai was the goth lol.

I last watched Lexx maybe a couple of weeks ago so still fresh in the mind.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2011, 06:06:05 pm »
LOL, yes I shall have to dye him[1]!

There's plenty of additional possibilities, so I could have Lyekka, 709, Isambard Prince, Giggerota, possibly even a His Divine Shadow!

(No, I do not want any more cats or kittens!)

Footnote [1] No, not seriously.

« Reply #20 on: 10 August, 2011, 09:42:53 pm »
He's been great this evening.  When I got home, he was hiding under the radiator, but only a few minutes after I came in, he wandered out under his own steam, and after some petting, scratching, and purring, decided to have something too eat. :thumbsup:

He scoffed a good portion of the Encore (chicken flavoured wet cat food), and then switched to the Orijen (dry cat food, I forget which flavour).  He ate a moderate amount of both.  He's not a big cat, and he hasn't been doing much, but he also hasn't eaten for over 24 hours, so that's good.

There have been a couple of half hearted attempts to kill a couple of toys, one of Talisker's old mouse toys, and a new cat nip sausage shaped toy.  I got out a wiggle green fluffy thing on a string and stick, which Talisker would have gone absolutely spare chasing about, and it scared him so much that he retreated back under the radiator!  He came out after a couple of minutes, but at the moment dangly chasy things seem to be right out.

He'll purr like a tractor, sometimes just through doing the cat squint your eyes and look away thing (that's quite friendly cat body language), and loves to be scratched and smoothed.  He doesn't really want to sit on my lap, but doesn't really dislike it, I just think he's never done it before.  He may or may not be a lap cat.  Some cats never really take to sitting on laps.  Talisker was a bit like that, he only very very occasionally curled up on my lap.

Here's a snap taken by the webcam on this netbook.  Predictably if you set the camera to take a photo every few seconds, he'll move out of view, or show his bum to the camera or something, but I got one good shot!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #21 on: 11 August, 2011, 07:13:38 am »
I'm calling him Kai, since I needed a name for the Vets!

Absolutely no prize for anyone geeky enough, who can guess what I'm going to call the (female) kitten, if you can do this without using Google!

(Actually a quick Google suggests that even with it, you won't be able to guess!)

Zev or Lyekka?

Or are you a Trekkie?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #22 on: 11 August, 2011, 08:44:46 am »
Xev or Lyekka?

Zev or Lyekka?

Go back a few posts, Valiant beat you. ;D

This morning I've let  Kai out for some supervised wandering around the house (so I can stop him if he tries to spray anywhere).

I can leave the door open and he won't leave the bathroom!  He had a careful wander around the whole house, sniffing a lot, and after about ten minutes returned to the bathroom.

The only place he seems to like outside of the bathroom (and only just outside), is the electrically heated cat bed that I bought for Talisker, and which I only ever saw him use twice in 12 months!  If he sees me looking at him in it, he comes running back into the bathroom. :)

I'm sat on the edge of the bath typing this, and he's slumped on the floor right next to my feet, with no attempt to leave the bathroom, even though the door is wide open.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #23 on: 11 August, 2011, 08:50:55 am »
Bathroom cat?

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #24 on: 11 August, 2011, 09:24:58 am »
Zev has looked over the bathroom step a few times (there's a step down into the bathroom cos of crappy extension syndrome) but hasn't made moves to escape.  We have a row of cardboard boxes blocking it so we had a chance of catching her when we weren't sure we'd get her back in. 

You'll get to see the bathroom which looks like someone's had a riot in it now ;)