Author Topic: We must stop this two-wheeled menace in the New Forest!  (Read 6128 times)

Re: We must stop this two-wheeled menace in the New Forest!
« Reply #25 on: 25 November, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »
Time to legislate for New Forest ponies to wear helmets and hi viz and use special pony lanes...

http://www.forestandwaterside.info/2012/11/animal-accidents-new-forest.html

You may have posted that in jest, but there has been a series of campaigns for exactly url=http://www.newforesttrust.org.uk/reflective-collars]this![/url]

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #26 on: 25 November, 2012, 12:19:53 pm »
There's a fell road near me that is a busy commuter road and also has sheep/horses grazing around it. It's recently been reduced from 60 to 40mph because of the number of sheep/horse-car events, and this has reduced the collision rate massively (oh and made it nicer to cycle on :)). The speed limit was introduced as part of a wider initiative called the fell road code - link (pdf)

Perhaps Cold Fell might serve as an example for lowering casualties by lower speeds and enforcement of the limits.

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #27 on: 25 November, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »
The New Forest also has a 40 mph limit on any road the horses or deer can actually get onto 
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #28 on: 25 November, 2012, 12:31:46 pm »
Is it enforced though?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #29 on: 25 November, 2012, 02:19:14 pm »
Probably to the same extent that other speed limits are enforced. 
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #30 on: 25 November, 2012, 04:57:19 pm »
Is it enforced though?

Yes it is, again mostly unobservant locals that get caught. There are only so many places to park the van...

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

LEE

« Reply #31 on: 25 November, 2012, 08:55:10 pm »

Sometimes you simply can't avoid things. I've been badgered twice! Killed a sparrow by having it fly head on into my front tyre, getting pinned there and ran over by both wheels. I also ran over a rabbit once. Had an owlett fly into my leg.(it was OK)
I've dodged many, many more animals.

It's your animal magnetism.

« Reply #32 on: 26 November, 2012, 01:04:16 am »
If you drive from Hartfield to Maresfield on the 40 mph bit of road, you are almost certain to be overtaken, usually by someone approaching 80 mph, at a guess. If everyone paid attention to the signs and speed limits, they would come as less of a surprise.

Just the other day I was riding up Chuck Hatch (on the way to ride DOWN Kidd's Hill  ;D ) and some flaming eedjit overtook me on a blind corner doing significantly more than 40mph
( https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=maresfield&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47df60b2f6068dc1:0xb67ca5de66b5b5e,Maresfield,+East+Sussex&gl=uk&ei=i76yUL6FEabM0QXGy4H4Bg&ved=0CJ8BELYD )
... just as someone else was coming around the corner the other way  ??? :facepalm: ::-) :hand: >:(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #33 on: 26 November, 2012, 11:24:02 am »
Time to legislate for New Forest ponies to wear helmets and hi viz and use special pony lanes...

You may have posted that in jest, but there has been a series of campaigns for exactly url=http://www.newforesttrust.org.uk/reflective-collars]this![/url]
It's been suggested, seriously, in a number of places where cows etc graze on unfenced roads. I don't know of anywhere it's actually been brought into practice though, and I don't suppose it could be legally enforced.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #34 on: 26 November, 2012, 11:49:29 am »

It's been suggested, seriously, in a number of places where cows etc graze on unfenced roads. I don't know of anywhere it's actually been brought into practice though, and I don't suppose it could be legally enforced.

There is a charity in the new forest that has provided collars in the past; they're not really a lot of use; large splodges og paint would be more effective; either that or people should take more care when they're crossing the Forest...
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #35 on: 26 November, 2012, 12:15:22 pm »
There is a charity in the new forest that has provided collars in the past; they're not really a lot of use; large splodges og paint would be more effective; either that or people should take more care when they're crossing the Forest...

We all know by now that problem drivers don't respond to being asked nicely. Vicious rumble strips and cameras are the only thing that slow people down.

« Reply #36 on: 26 November, 2012, 02:15:36 pm »

We all know by now that problem drivers don't respond to being asked nicely. Vicious rumble strips and cameras are the only thing that slow people down.
And people I know in Fairwarp were told that there wouldn't be any action taken to install cameras or other measures until there had been at least one death, and possibly 3 or more >:(.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 26 November, 2012, 02:22:02 pm »
Human death, presumably...

« Reply #38 on: 26 November, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »

And people I know in Fairwarp were told that there wouldn't be any action taken to install cameras or other measures until there had been at least one death, and possibly 3 or more >:(.

I was specifically told by my town councillor that there's no funding for cameras -- although they've painted red stripes on the road and extended the 30mph zone a little further out of the town on one of the worst places for speeding.  Apparently local residents on the A264 were getting fed up of being woken up by, and having to deal with crashes in the early hours  :(  Trouble is, because there are no cameras there is still no incentive not to speed -- the new limits just slow down the safer drivers that are less likely to cause accidents in the first place.

« Reply #39 on: 04 December, 2012, 11:53:59 am »
It suggests complacency. The ponies don't come from "nowhere" - they're a known hazard in the New Forest. Such a high accident rate is inexcusable.

As an audaxer, I am familiar with the deer problem but I've never hit a deer. ...

d.
I've damn nearly been hit by a deer when cycling. It jumped across the road right in front of me. I could smell it, & had an unpleasantly close view of just how sharp its hooves were. If it had misjudged my speed marginally, or if the bloke in front (Adrian Lawson, who some here may know) had braked a bit harder in response to the deer which was jumping across in front of him, it could have been very nasty.

Those two came from nowhere, through a gap in a hedge. Ponies can do the same. That doesn't excuse reckless drivers who ignore ponies they can see, or don't keep an eye out for them, but sometimes there's nothing you can do. Or do you suggest that all road users go dead slow on roads bordered by hedges, or where there is anything else that a large animal could be lurking behind?

I've run over & killed a squirrel that ran out of cover & went straight under my wheels, & had a near miss with a badger that shot out of undergrowth just behind the bike in front of me, & which I'd have hit if I hadn't braked hard. Nearly came off. It may not have realised there were two bikes.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #40 on: 04 December, 2012, 11:58:15 am »
My friend hit a deer when out jogging. They really do burst out through hedges round here.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.