Author Topic: WillyWarmer 2019  (Read 7251 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
WillyWarmer 2019
« on: 14 November, 2018, 10:38:54 pm »
Yoiks, it's almost time for...

Yes, its true, this year the Willy Warmer is going to swing both ways! Click the graphic for details...

Martin

Re: WillyWarmer 2019
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2019, 11:52:51 am »
There must have been a more recent thread than this;

anyhoo who else is in? was looking forward to another reverse of the route but apparently it's all going anticlock

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2019, 12:26:26 pm »
anyhoo who else is in? was looking forward to another reverse of the route but apparently it's all going anticlock

I'm riding. Are you sure about the reverse route, as I selected that option in response to the email of 2nd January?   

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2019, 12:35:47 pm »

I'm riding. Are you sure about the reverse route, as I selected that option in response to the email of 2nd January?

no, I was going to route check tomorrow (although cannot now) so haven't had any recent email about the reverse. The reverse route is very nice although does involve Whitchurch Hill in the last stages (and that nasty hill up to the A40 whose name escapes me)

« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2019, 12:47:59 pm »
I rode the reverse 4 years ago. I seem to remember one stretch in particular early on that had ice across the road in a sheltered dip. It was my first audax riding fixed ... I ran out of ooomph with about 70km to go, and was very grateful for a nice sit down and munch at Pangbourne.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2019, 02:25:28 pm »
That was close, everything ready last night including coins for parking, bike checked etc. I wonder if I would have been the first to arrive exactly 7 days to early?  :facepalm:

Pity as the weather was looking quite reasonable for tomorrow.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2019, 02:27:23 pm »
HK is planning on being there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2019, 08:24:39 pm »
News flash: :...
For various reasons I've replaced  the Reverse Willy with a staggered start so riders can come early if they want to. A newsletter will reveal all. Also 'for technical reasons' I've reopened the entry portal till midnight.

Currently at 220 entries... could be the biggest Willy yet!

I know. It's a gift.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2019, 08:37:53 pm »

I know. It's a gift.

yeahbut if it's cold and icy as it looks ATM, it might shrink considerably...  ;)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 11 January, 2019, 09:39:56 pm »

I know. It's a gift.

Is having a willy required to enter? :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2019, 01:39:36 pm »
Drat! Not long up after cycling home from the Jan Sale PBP qualifier yesterday, and thought I'd enter this as I've heard a team mate is doing it. Done it before but can't remember which way round.

Good luck everyone (and Justin!).
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Manotea

« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2019, 02:29:39 pm »

I know. It's a gift.

J

Not at all... all hard and nippy riders welcome!

OK, let's stop now...

Just sent out a rider briefing email. The main news is that the route sheet and track have been updated to reflect changes to controls and the 'swing both ways' option has been dropped in favour of a simple staggered start with waves away from 7am.

« Reply #12 on: 16 January, 2019, 02:41:58 pm »

I know. It's a gift.

J

No but a woolly warmer Shaun Shaw style might be handed out as a reward....

This is the brevet ther warmd parts others fail to reach and is a cracking ride.

« Reply #13 on: 18 January, 2019, 08:33:12 am »
That was close, everything ready last night including coins for parking, bike checked etc. I wonder if I would have been the first to arrive exactly 7 days to early?  :facepalm:

Pity as the weather was looking quite reasonable for tomorrow.

I did exactly that in 2016. Realised when I got to the empty car park. Looking forward to it this year sort of.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2019, 06:31:20 pm »
I pushed myself to do 30 miles today... that was plenty in light rain and 4 degrees... I wonder how the 209 km felt like...  ::-)

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2019, 08:36:27 pm »
At no point on this ride was my willy warm! Jesus H Christ.

Thanks for organising Paul! Favourite part was the hot hot chili and hearing your audax tips! Legend!

« Reply #16 on: 19 January, 2019, 10:22:31 pm »
I have done this ride on several occasions [something like 4-5 times].
It was a toughie this time! started dry and finished dry; however, the rain started in earnest just before Pangbourne  and why Castelli Gaba soft shell was on the limit, so found a lovely bus shelter to facilitate the change to my Gortex Shake-Dry shell [I almost left this at home, falsely believing the forecast]!
Glad to have done it though...
Many thanks to Paul for organising, Martin for the arrivee and all the lovely HOT food!
That rice cooker and spicy chilli was amazing!!

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 19 January, 2019, 11:20:21 pm »
That rice cooker and spicy chilli was amazing!!

I had the curry but agree also amazing!

This was my hardest Willy by far (ride that is) but I may have avoided worse ones; I've route checked a few instead. I did avoid any fairy visitations but others were not so lucky.

Definitely a case of What not to Wear; I had a Berghaus fleece with a non breathable outer layer which I hoped to shed but never got the chance so it all just got damp (and heavy) over the course of the ride. Plus my expensive Gore gloves work well in cold but not wet; and as we turned into the wind they just conducted all the warmth away from my fingers. So I progressed without stopping anywhere to eat or removing my gloves until Winnersh where I was able to buy a £6 pair of fleece gloves from Sainsburys. This made the last 39k a million% better;

Thanks Manotea and family Liam HuffnPuff and especially Swiss Hat for the lift back at a time when my body would not have wanted to do anything at all outside especially ride back up and wait for a train at GX

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #18 on: 20 January, 2019, 08:49:26 pm »
 ;D  'twas a lovely ride today  :smug:
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

markldn

« Reply #19 on: 20 January, 2019, 08:51:48 pm »

I know right! I was very bitter today.

« Reply #20 on: 20 January, 2019, 10:31:29 pm »

You should know as you saw us from the comfort of the Tutti Pole!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #21 on: 20 January, 2019, 10:39:06 pm »
my expensive Gore gloves work well in cold but not wet; and as we turned into the wind they just conducted all the warmth away from my fingers.
This is a common complaint: IMHO there is a special circle of hell reserved especially for shops that sell cycling gloves like this. When wet they can freeze your fingers into immobility: lethal if brakes can't be applied..... a companion had hypothermia in Galicia because of some expensive cycling gloves. Mittens are far better in almost all circumstances I think
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: 20 January, 2019, 11:15:14 pm »
my expensive Gore gloves work well in cold but not wet; and as we turned into the wind they just conducted all the warmth away from my fingers.
This is a common complaint: IMHO there is a special circle of hell reserved especially for shops that sell cycling gloves like this. When wet they can freeze your fingers into immobility: lethal if brakes can't be applied..... a companion had hypothermia in Galicia because of some expensive cycling gloves. Mittens are far better in almost all circumstances I think

Marigolds are your friend.  Tights are also good as emergency arm/leg warmers.  WGAF what you look like, you're an Audaxer... ;D

I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #23 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:45:32 am »
Thank you Paul and team for organising the WW. Sustenance served by friendly faces at the finish was greatly appreciated.

Congratulations to all the first time audaxers for completing this ride in truly miserable conditions. Your smiles replaced the cold with unexpected warmth, and if any of you fear that PBP qualification is out of reach, then think again.....a successful finish on Saturday speaks volumes for your tenacity of spirit....well done to one and all.

#makewattsnotwar

markldn

« Reply #24 on: 21 January, 2019, 01:30:24 pm »
Solid words Pip!

I would say my only gripe was against those 1 or 2 who thought half-sized mudguards were acceptable gear given the conditions—are they ever?  On the bright side, I could legitimately claim the polka dot jersey.  But I will be investigating how to enhance my Crud MK2's to provide even more protection to those behind me.